Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Excelsior - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Excelsior - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
did you have verifiable facts that all of those so-called rooms you supposedly saw somewhere on line were indeed vacant and clean and ready for occupancy? Reservations systems only see vacant/occupied, not HK status.
Sometimes, how you come across in your attitude will define how the "conversation" will happen.
Just sayin'....
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by slidergirl
did you have verifiable facts that all of those so-called rooms you supposedly saw somewhere on line were indeed vacant and clean and ready for occupancy? Reservations systems only see vacant/occupied, not HK status.
Sometimes, how you come across in your attitude will define how the "conversation" will happen.
Just sayin'....
No, and they may well not have been available. I'll push a little (politely) when I see availability and the hotel says rooms aren't available, but I accept that availability in the system doesn't always reflect reality. My issue wasn't with better room types not being available but with the hotel outright lying to me about having found me a better room and then giving me the same room they'd originally given me, with my friend being left feeling like the hotel thought she was a prostitute, and with the front desk agent's demeanor and attitude towards me.

(As an aside, the hotel did move me to a top-floor room with a terrace the next day.)
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:38 am

will there be a problem combining one free night that my wife has with mine?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I believe you are asking if you can do two consecutive free nights, one from each account? There's no reason why this would not be allowed. Make sure you let the hotel know that you'd like to keep the same room so you don't have to move.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
It's been a year since this thread saw any action. I'll be there in November for five nights w/ my wife and 8 year old daughter. I've got a Jr. Suite right now and may try to apply an SNA to get an executive suite. Any recent mini trip reports, info on breakfast or hotel dining in general, or other tips/info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
i was there in april for a 5 nights points stay. we were platinum through a 2017 marriott challenge, so no SNA experience. we were assigned a second story room overlooking the arno that had a few balconies. it was the least impressive room we received on our trip through italy in terms of category of room, but it was still very spacious, and there were metal shutters on the balcony windows that would come down and keep the light and late night noise out of the room. we were just as happy with this arrangement as the objectively more spectacular suites we got in como and out near trieste.

the breakfast benefit is as described above; it's a good european buffet with eggs made to order and all kinds of meat, fruit, breads, juice, etc. per person per day i think it normally runs 40 or 50 euro. definitely worth taking it as the benefit. we ate it 4 of the 5 days we were there, and the odd day out was just an instance of us oversleeping (woo, vacation!). we also stopped at the rooftop bar for a drink and a snack, which was very enjoyable. the view is pretty cool and the aperitivo was quite good. it is priced on the high side even accounting for the area, but still worth it. highly recommend.

the location is fantastic. i'm sure you already have something of an itinerary, but a very helpful face in the neighborhood can be found on the other side of the ponte alla carraia at an establishment called vinarno. it's a sandwich shop with an especially friendly proprietor named francesco who makes a very good spritz and had all kinds of helpful tips. e.g. he asked our plans, we said we wanted to see X, Y, and Z, he said try to schedule around seeing Y near sunset and look out this way for an incredible view/photo opportunity, and while you're walking over to X stop at this place for a hidden rooftop bar. we enjoyed the food and drink, but we really appreciated his insights, as they helped smooth out what was an overly ambitious itinerary for the length of our stay.

i hope you and your family have a great trip!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Thanks for this info! It's been about 10 years since we were last at the hotel / city and I'm sure much has changed. Back then, plats didn't get breakfast and there was no rooftop bar; we didn't spend much time in the hotel at all back then. I had looked at the STR across the square, but I just can't justify the boost in points to stay there vs. the Westin for what we will be doing at / in the hotel.

thanks again!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Hyatt Discoverist / IHG Diamond / American Airlines Executive Platinum
Great Stay

My wife and I stayed at this hotel nearly 2 years ago for 4 nights. Sorry I didn't post then, but we had such an incredible stay I wanted to share now. We stayed when I was MR Platinum status-matched to SPG Platinum. The hotel recognized me as such and upgraded us to a wonderful room on the top floor that had a terrace and a view of the river and Ponte Vecchio. We had reserved only a room with a river view. Breakfast was included for us as Platinum at the time. Breakfast was served in the wonderfully ornate room off the lobby. We chose the hotel because of its great location near the city center (walking distance) and old world charm. Sometimes my wife and I will splurge for a Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons stay, but we opted for this Westin even over the St. Regis next door and Four Seasons across town because we just could not see what they offered that the Westin could not.

Our stay was nothing short of amazing. The service we received from the entire staff but especially the concierge was incredible. They booked us dinner reservations at wonderfully recommended spots like I would expect them to. But where they really went above and beyond was when I asked if we could go to the top floor terrace / event space to take pictures (it seemed to have such a wonderful view of the Dome and the city). You see, my wife and I were expecting and we wanted to take a picture of the two of us holding a baby outfit we had bought at a local Florentine boutique to share with our friends with all of Florence in the background. They not only offered to let us up there but went with us to take the pictures for us (so it was not a selfie) and we went all over the top floor and terrace taking pictures. It was really so wonderful of them. Such a great memory for us, and we got great pictures of it as a bonus.

The hotel itself is wonderful, the staff is great, and our room was spectacular. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Florence. I can't imagine spending additional money to stay at the St. Regis (I am very sure it is nice, but the Westin was already so ornate and plush) or the Four Seasons. The Westin rose to the top in decor, service, and location. This is where you will find our family when in Florence.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:11 pm

I'm looking for the e-mail address for this hotel. Ether I'm not seeing it on the website, or since the Marriott takeover they have removed the 'contact us' link that I'd used in the past. Any one have one for this hotel and/or have an idea where they moved the e-mail address to on the website in general?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:06 pm

Just had a stay here, Jun 2019.
1 - Room is spacious, and the decor is beautiful. Carpet is spotless (compared to Westin Excelsior Rome)
2 - The breakfast has generous selections, fresh fruit and eggs made to order. Delicious.
3 - Check-in experience was great. Was upgraded but not to a suite. Asked front desk several questions, got satisfactory answers.
Highly recommend
polyesther likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:45 am

Had an AMAZING stay here. Only stayed here one night on points (booked an Arno Premium River Deluxe view room for 105k points), and was upgraded to a HUGE Grand Deluxe Suite with an amazing view of the Arno. Might be my best upgrade as a Titanium yet. Just one level below the Presidential Suite. Staff were great, breakfast is delicious.

Hope to return and also try the StR next.
margarita girl and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:52 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Had an AMAZING stay here. Only stayed here one night on points (booked an Arno Premium River Deluxe view room for 105k points), and was upgraded to a HUGE Grand Deluxe Suite with an amazing view of the Arno. Might be my best upgrade as a Titanium yet. Just one level below the Presidential Suite. Staff were great, breakfast is delicious.

Hope to return and also try the StR next.
Happy to hear you got such a great upgrade!

I assure you that the StR is even nicer--though perhaps the room won't be as spacious if you don't get such a generous upgrade!
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
While the St Regis May be nicer, I’ve heard that upgrades are easier for mid status folks as the St Regis is far more likely to sell suites for cash. I’ve also gotten astounding upgrades at the Excelsior and they’ve won my loyalty as a result.

To the point that I booked 5 nights at the Excelsior when it was the same cost as the StR. We’ll see what I get in that stay.

same GM runs both properties.
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Upcoming stay

Have a stay coming up in April here. Any recent experiences or tips on the upgrades, room location, etc.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Have a stay coming up in April here. Any recent experiences or tips on the upgrades, room location, etc.
Stayed in early October, it was a special occasion (my wife’s big number birthday) and got an outstanding grand deluxe suite upgrade (photo 26 on the web page pictures).

I’m a repeat guest (not many times, but a few). I’m sure that helped.

Last edited by beachfan; Jan 6, 2020 at 12:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.