Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Excelsior - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Excelsior - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2005, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Before we start talking about Italian hotels being more "strict" re: cancellation rules- please keep in mind that the hotel would have to pay 20% IVA on your reservation- if the rules say non-cancellable the guarda di finanza (finance department) would insist the hotel pay this whether you stay there or not- this probably has a big bearing on their decision. The GM has given you a great offer- and is trying to work with you in a difficult situation without violating Italian tax law- take it and move on!
Old Jul 23, 2005, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Before we start talking about Italian hotels being more "strict" re: cancellation rules- please keep in mind that the hotel would have to pay 20% IVA on your reservation- if the rules say non-cancellable the guarda di finanza (finance department) would insist the hotel pay this whether you stay there or not- this probably has a big bearing on their decision. The GM has given you a great offer- and is trying to work with you in a difficult situation without violating Italian tax law- take it and move on!
Oddly enough, it had never occurred to me that tax laws might have a bearing on this. If so, that certainly sheds some light on the situation! @:-)
Old Jul 24, 2005, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star

Excellent post, travelsig. That's good information. It also explains why Italian hotels are more difficult on cancellations.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:15 am

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Florence Transportation

I'm having trouble searching for info on Florence. I'm curious about the best way to get from the train station to the Westin Excelsior. I found good ideas for Venice, but nothing on Florence. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat, SPG Gld, HH Gld, MR Gld
Originally Posted by Pizzaman
I'm having trouble searching for info on Florence. I'm curious about the best way to get from the train station to the Westin Excelsior. I found good ideas for Venice, but nothing on Florence. Any suggestions appreciated.
I've been to Florence many times and whether on business or holiday I will always recommend taking a Taxi to the Hotel. Have a great time - the city is beautiful and well worth staying in for at least 3 nights.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
It's actually a short walk from the station to the Excelsior. You could take a taxi but if you're not familiar with the route, you could be taken for a "ride".
Old Aug 5, 2005, 10:17 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
I can tell you that for the ten euros , you'd be best taking the taxi. It's not a terribly long walk, but if the roads are busy, which they will likely be, you don't want to take that trip with luggage. Definitely a twenty minute walk lugging suitcases, in my estimate.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 3:22 pm

Exceptional - Exclesior Rome & Florence

All - just back from Italy --

Excelsior Rome, 2-night award stay, Platinum status - Suite on 5th floor was ready and waiting upon our arrival, with requested baby crib. Two room suite, the first a 'family room' with sofa, tv, bar and table piled high with fruit, the second a bedroom of a size larger than most in the U.S. with two queens. Fabulous bathroom. If one looks at a picture of the Excelsior from the outside, our windows were the three along the top floor that are NOT recessed. Staff was fabulous, helped me get my Italian cellphone working, and arranged for a babysitters that passed muster with our 4 yr old (the true test). Outrageous costs at the restaurant (8 euro for a Coke Light, come on, they're only 7.50 in the room!) but so what. Great pool. Welcome gift was a hard-cover book about Rome.

Excelsior Florence, 1-night award stay, Platinum status - Exceptionally large room on the 2nd floor, occupying the right two-thirds of the balcony that doubles as the awning when you pull up. Take a look at the hotel and you'll see what I mean. Hotel wasn't that busy, and they said we could park our scrappy Fiat Multipla outfront. Must admit it looked pretty stupid next to a black Lamborghini, also parked there. Immense one-bedroom, along with King bed, crib AND roll-away, plus the huge balcony. Loved the hotel so much that within 5 minutes of enjoying a glass of wine on the balcony I was booking a 2nd night. Had a choice of welcome gifts, chose a picture frame as we were stocked with DVDs and are particular about our wines.

Net net amazing experiences, fabulous staff, over-the-top upgrades, and everyone was gracious to our oft-rambunctious kids. Bravo, Starwood Italy.

Jamie
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:01 pm

We stayed at Excelsior in Rome last Summer. As Platinum, we were upgraded to a Junior suite. Great hotel and great location. We loved it and would go back again.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:41 am

Programs: DL DM MM, SPG Plat
Florence was exceptional

My friend got married in Florence City Hall three years back. The night of the wedding, the Excelsior upgraded them to the roof suite. This was a beutifully, classically appointed one bedroom suite. The major benefit, however, was the roof deck overlooking the Arno River, with enough space and funriture for dinner for eight.

I have never felt more comfortable being in a hotel than on that deck in Florence in June, enjoying the complimentary champagne.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:53 am

Westin Excelsior Florence - irons not allowed by law?

I'm staying at the Westin Excelsior Florence this week. Housekeeping - and management - refused to provide iron & ironing board in my room. They said they provide pressing service - at a fee, of course.

My manager requested same and was also denied. Front office manager said it's not allowed by law. Is this true? (Italian law? Florence law? Or hotel law?...)

Last edited by sfvoyage; Sep 13, 2005 at 12:54 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 13, 2005, 2:06 am
Suspended

I requested for a kettle at the Westin Excelsior Rome, and the answer that I got was that they do not have any kettle to lend out.

I requested for the same at the Westin Excelsior Florence, and they went through great lengths to explain that its against fire regulations to have kettle or iron in the guest rooms.

I dont think its Italian Law, since there were kettles in our rooms at the Hilton Rome Airport (Exec Floor). Or maybe being an airport hotel, the rules were different (?)
Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:14 am
tyn

Italian Law 626/94.
Can't say how Hilton Airport gets away with it though.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tyn
Italian Law 626/94.
Can't say how Hilton Airport gets away with it though.
Great Fast Call on the Law #!!!
I don't know how the Hilton does this- but it is true regarding irons or kettles in rooms- fire violation.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:06 am
Suspended

I don't know how the Hilton does this
Just a guess, the Rome Airport Hilton is a modern building compared to the Westin Excelsior Florence. Perhaps the more modern buildings have a higher specification for fire-prevention which allows the use of kettle etc

Honestly, I cant see why smoking is not banned in hotel rooms but a kettle is seen as a potential source of fire

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.