Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points by Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport (Romulus) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points by Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport (Romulus) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:37 pm

Programs: Hilton-DIA, IHG-Plat Amb, Hyatt-DIA, SPG-Plat & 3 star, Marriott-Gold, Nat'l-Exec, NWA-Sil
It is a decent property compared to a couple years ago...get what you pay for (the Westin is pretty nice) - easy to get to Metro - <1 mile - barely hear the planes (on the landing path).
Old Jun 20, 2009, 6:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Stayed here on points (cat 1!) at the end of May. Checked in early around 11am and had no problem getting a room, given King on 2nd floor. I am an SPG nobody (just the SPG AMEX/Preferred Plus) and was asked if 2nd floor was ok, so not sure if anything is special about the top floor. Lobby is large with an ugly chandelier from the 1980's, restaurant/bar off to the right, business center with printer and 2 computers/free internet is on the left along with a small fitness center and pool/hot tub in the back. Staff was always friendly and accommodating.

Rooms have been rennovated relatively recently so were nicely appointed. Carpet was nice though I found the brown painted doors to be dark and not as fun and cheery as the 4 points image. Room had king bed, side chair, desk/chair, fridge, microwave, flat screen TV. Only a small hanging space next to the fridge in the armoire for hanging clothes and just cubby holes beneath TV for clothes though adequate. Bed was a bit hard but pillows comfortable. Bathroom standard corner vanity and tub shower, new four points shampoo/conditioner/lotion. Clean and nice though not as flashy as the DTW Westin (but remember, considerably less points - 7k pts for my entire say which wouldn't get 1 night at the Westin). Our room was in the back of the hotel (facing West) so had some airplane noise but mostly NW regional jets so not too annoying, don't know if it would be better facing the parking lot side. Ample free parking, shuttle always seemed to be there and waiting.

Conclusion: We chose this property since cat 1's are so rare and glad we chose to stay here over a higher category property. Also this location was about a midpoint for access to downtown Detroit as well as exploring the Henry Ford museum and Rouge plant that aren't far away. Easy for an early flight out too. Would stay here again.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Exceeded expectations!

Stayed here 1 night before catching an early morning flight the next day. Was pleasantly surprised by how nice the property was. It is a Cat 1 but is in good condition as it has been recently refurbished. The room was large and clean and had a flat screen TV, microwave and fridge. They have shuttles running 24 h to the airport every 30 min on the hour. The room rate includes free wi-fi (didnt test it) and free continental breakfast (muffin + coffee - didnt try this either). Full breakfast costs extra.

The Front Desk staff was a total disaster, though. Interested more in talking on the phone than in checking me in. She told me twice that I was "all set" and each time I had to interrupt her to ask about parking ("Oh are you on a parking rate") and about Plat points ("Oh are you a Plat member") - isnt she supposed to see these in the reservation?! Quite annoying.

Overall, it is a great bargain at 3K points a night. I stayed here on a Parking Package rate that gives you 8 days of free parking which we are planning to use this week. Considering that 8 days works out to ~$80, the rate (~$100) was well worth it.

Miles ahead of the 4P ORD which was a dump in comparison.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
I have an upcoming stay here next week. I know it's an airport hotel, but is there any close shopping nearby that is walk/cab accessible?
Old Aug 7, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL LTG, SPG LTP, Mar. PLT
Originally Posted by greenlotus
I have an upcoming stay here next week. I know it's an airport hotel, but is there any close shopping nearby that is walk/cab accessible?
Nothing you can walk to and if you where to consider taking a cab, you are better of to rent a car.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 3:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
If money is a concern, I would recommend this 4P over the Westin at DTW. I was here a while back during my lowly SPG silver days. Decent staff, very clean rooms and great park and go facility, the shuttle driver def earned the tip, even knew where to direct me for non-NW departures.

There are some restaurants nearby and it's safe enough to work close distances, I remember I had to cut across a Fairfield Inn to get to a Denny's nearby.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 8:48 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
Originally Posted by CaseyN2
Nothing you can walk to and if you where to consider taking a cab, you are better of to rent a car.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:53 am

Talking

Just at FP now, although like mentioned, not much around the local area, the rooms are nice for Four Points standards. 40 inch plasmas and the bathrooms are a nice size. Also last night I asked if there was a pharmacy nearby because I forgot some toothpaste, and the shuttle driver said no but offered to drive me there and bring me back. It's examples like that where you can definitely appreciate! I would strongly recommend this hotel for the price and service so far!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I was surprised to see this thread again after 4 years. So much has changed in the time since I started this thread. I remember writing it, but I don't recall why I said I didn't like the DTW Westin. Maybe I had a bad experience there? I don't remember! But over the years they've earned my loyalty.

If there's not much of a difference in price, I would choose the Westin over the 4 Points. But if there IS a big price difference, the 4 Points is nice. Not as nice as the Westin, but certainly a good property. The renovation did make it nice and for a 4 Points, it's a nice place. I prefer the Westin, but if prices are high, 4 Points is not a bad place.

What a difference a few years makes, LOL!
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:40 am

This message is very helpful! Thx!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
Where are the Platinum Recognitions?

Checked into the Four Points Detroit airport for a two night stay. A SPG Platinum, my expectations were zero for any upgrade, however the experience actually did not even meet my zero expectations. This was actually my first ever stay at a Four Points.

First, the positives: Bed comfortable-large pillows versus Sheraton's typical small pillows. Guest requests for extra towels/pillows very fast on two occasions. Speakman shower head was good. Room was clean. Free Water.

Everything else: Room rather beat up, especially the doors; room did not seem kept up very well, except for the cleanliness. Small, but reasonably laid out bathroom with lots of mirrors.

Restaurant food is mediocre at best and the service is absolutely lousy. I was there during a big snowstorm, and even though they were overstaffed and slightly busy, it took forever to get any service, get an order in and get a check, and get a duplicate check. Why Starwood doesn't issue duplicate restaurant checks is beyond me. Anyway, it was like this for two breakfasts and a dinner. Not impressed, and few choices in the area to eat unless you try another hotel restaurant.

I requested a late checkout. As a Platinum, my belief has always been that I would be first on the list with this request. I requested at about 8:30 that morning for 3pm. The front desk clerk told me (without ever looking me in the eyes), "well, I'm not sure. Your room is blocked for tonight. I need to call the housekeeping manager". So, rather than use some sort of decent customer service and unblock my room, or suggest a time such as 2pm or so which I would have accepted, she called me back and said she could not do it. So, of course I asked her what being Platinum got me? She did not reply. Also to note, a colleague traveling with me managed a 4pm checkout as a Gold.

Honestly, this is just one more example of a basic Plat benefit--or really just a nice jesture--that Starwood has not followed through on. I've experienced this now at Sheraton, Westin and now Four Points. Yeah I got 500 extra points. I'd rather stay at the Hyatt Dearborn with a decent restaurant and close restaurants, guaranteed late checkout, nicer people, nicer rooms, and 1000 GP points for $20/night more. Unfortunately my complaints will continue, as SPG is a preferred hotel by my company. I absolutely will not return to this Four Points, and may not do Four Points ever again.

Last edited by tashworth; Feb 2, 2011 at 1:29 pm Reason: deleted by mistake
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by tashworth
I requestedc a late checkout. As a Platinum, my belief has always been that I would be first on the list with this request. I requested at about 8:30 that morning for 3pm...
Late checkout for preferred plus/gold/platinum is not based on availability at nonresort and nonconference centres. I would suggest contacting starwood about this.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by CDNtravler
Late checkout for preferred plus/gold/platinum is not based on availability at nonresort and nonconference centres. I would suggest contacting starwood about this.
+ 1. Service at this particular Four Points has always been questionable with the front desk staff usually more interested in their nails than in responding to your questions. That being said, there are definitely better Four Points properties, esp in Europe and Asia.

After one night here (when the airport Westin was sold out), I have gone back to the airport Westin as my go-to property and the Hyatt regency Dearborn as backup. The Hyatt was a great deal when the Regency Club was temporarily closed and you could get 2500 bonus points for each stay but that is no longer the case since the Club has been permanently closed. The Crowne Plaza at the airport is not that bad, either.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I've experienced this now at Sheraton, Westin and now Four Points. Yeah I got 500 extra points.
Only 250 at a Four Points...

Why Starwood doesn't issue duplicate restaurant checks is beyond me
They will if you ask, just like most anywhere else.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:33 am

I had a nice stay here on a Saturday night 10/10/15, using a 2000-point award night. I was given a room on the Club floor (7), even though I am only a Starwood Preferred Guest, having recently relinquished my Starwood Amex card. Perhaps my record has not been updated.

I was even offered late check-out and a wake-up call, neither of which I needed.

No complaints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.