Sheraton Bahrain [Master Thread]

Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:55 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Sheraton Bahrain is closing October 1st, 2019 until 2021 for a comprehensive, 40 million USD renovation to all guest rooms, public spaces, meeting venues, recreation areas and restaurants. Finally.

Source: https://www.hoteliermiddleeast.com/b...sed-until-2021

khabah
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:54 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Sorely needed. Well intentioned hotel but the hardware is horrible.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Bahrain Sheraton still operating?

Just wondering if Bahrain Sheraton is still in business? I've tried getting a booking for it but its not coming up. Even when I select hotels in Bahrain without dates.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by jahason
Just wondering if Bahrain Sheraton is still in business? I've tried getting a booking for it but its not coming up. Even when I select hotels in Bahrain without dates.
It's closed for a full renovation until some time next year. Check out the master thread for more info: Sheraton Bahrain [Master Thread]

Mods, can we merge this thread with the master? Thanks.

khabah
Old Jun 5, 2020, 9:43 am

Is this still on track? Anyone know of the status and/or opening date? Photos/renderings?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by pafnyc
Is this still on track? Anyone know of the status and/or opening date? Photos/renderings?
Found this 21 hour-old update from an Instagram page called Bahrain Developments that tracks construction and building-related updates across the country. Looks like they're currently gutting the building and tearing down the old driveway and low-rise structures. I've seen an old rendering where the existing building is re-clad but is more or less the same albeit with some modernization, but what was interesting was the construction of a brand new and contemporary looking annex tower that would house the hotel, and a mention that the existing building would be converted to Sheraton-branded residences. I'm not sure that plan is going ahead anymore, so we might just see a comprehensive renovation of the current building.

The plan is still officially to reopen in 2021, but given this COVID-19 situation and the impact it has had on movement and construction globally, I wouldn't be surprised if this dipped into 2022. Seeing as they closed the doors on October 1st, 2019 and only reached this point seven months later, I'd bet on a delay.

khabah

Before:

Update - June 2020:

James Luckard likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 1:40 pm

Any news?
Old Mar 1, 2021, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by deltatrav
Any news?
On Google Maps, you can see that they've stripped the building even further, completely removing the zig-zag balconies, so that it's just the rectangular concrete shell. The land around it has all been torn up too.

It will be many years until a hotel operates at this site again:

Old Mar 23, 2023, 5:16 pm

any progress reports?
Old Mar 24, 2023, 3:53 am

any progress reports?
Work appears to be crawling along. The updated 2023 Google maps aerial photos shows they're refacing the structure, which had the zig-zag balconies removed two years ago and is being rebuilt as an unrecognizable anonymous glass box:

It looks like the structures for the new lobby and what appears to perhaps be a new ballroom on the north end have been built too.

Here's a rendering the hotel posted on Facebook:

Source:
https://www.facebook.com/SheratonBahrainHotel/
Old Mar 24, 2023, 8:28 am

ridiculous - they thought would be open by 2021!
Old Mar 24, 2023, 5:41 pm

ridiculous - they thought would be open by 2021!
I don't think anyone else thought that, however.
deltatrav likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.