Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Bahrain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2003, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton Bahrain [Master Thread]

Just did a search 1 year back on Bahrain and had 0 hits...

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? Any opinions?

I'm thinking of reserving a 'smart room' if I stay there (means it has free high-speed internet).

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2003, 8:15 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Stayed at this hotel twice over 3 years ago. It's considered one of the top three in Bahrain. I would recommend checking the Le Meridin it's the best in town and the only one on the beach. If the rate is not an issue or if it's comparable to the Sheraton, I would recommend it over the later.

I was upgraded once (was Gold then).
Old Jul 16, 2003, 8:20 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SFplat:
Just did a search 1 year back on Bahrain and had 0 hits...
Has anyone stayed at this hotel? Any opinions?
I'm thinking of reserving a 'smart room' if I stay there (means it has free high-speed internet).Thanks!
</font>
'been there a couple of times and would call it an average experience , but still much better than the hilton which is opposite the road.
never got a suite upgrade as platinum , just the usual basics.

the location is quite convenient , if it is not to hot , you can walk to most of the places one would go .
however , if you are looking for luxory , go for the meridien which is fairly new and quite impressive.

Old Nov 5, 2005, 5:34 am

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Sheraton Bahrain - Decent hotel, weak F&B

Have a trip coming up to Bahrain and was wondering if anyone can tell me anything much about this hotel that is not on theri web site? Does it collect Platinum members from airport if not how far from the airport is the hotel? Does it sell Alcohol? Club etc....
Old Nov 9, 2005, 12:22 pm
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Hi Trappy,

I live in Bahrain. I have also stayed in the hotel about 1 year ago before I got a flat here.

I find your questions a little humurous considering the size of this country, but I will try to help you out.

I just called the hotel. They do not provide complimentary transfer for plats. Upon request you can get it for 4 BHD (shared) or 8 BHD (solo). A taxi at the airport should not cost more than 4 BHD. To get to USD, multiply (very roughly) by 3. The total distance is maybe 5 km.

I noticed on their website that they are doing a lot of renovation work right now. You might want to consider an alternative property.

The hotel will serve alcohol in both the mini-bar and the bars. I have been in the main bar one time and it wasn't very nice. Mainly single Saudi men drinking too much while watching a high-pitched Philippine band. Downstairs there is a disco, which is supposed to be okay on the weekends (Wednesday and Thursday nights).

Across the street at the Hilton the bar is much nicer as far as I am concerned. However it is often not very busy. Really, in Bahrain if you want to go out there are much better places.

Perhaps you can send me a PM with a bit of information on what you are looking for and I can give you some suggestions. I am in Saudi Arabia during the week, but if you are here on the local weekends, perhaps we can meet up for a mini-FT meeting. Most likely the first in Bahrain!
Old May 29, 2006, 3:28 am

Programs: DOD, AF Petroleum Club, Emirates Silver, Hertz 5 Star, SPG Platinum
Sheraton Bahrain - Decent hotel, weak F&B

Another in my series of "exploring the middle eastern Starwood properties"

Checked in as a platinum on Friday, for one day. 40 BD rate (about USD 100). I was planning to try to find other more "local" accomodations in Bahrain, but now I'm having meetings with people, and while the Ritz-Carlton or IC are a lot nicer, Sheraton is nice enough as a location to meet people, so I continue to stay. Ironic that I need to stay in a "nice" hotel in order to meet up and go out to other places...

I was given a junior suite on the 4th floor (x18 are JS, end of the buildings are full suites), which is nice. Pretty much two separate (smallish) rooms, but no actual door between them, only a doorway.

Plat amenity choice did not include the 500 pts yet, so I chose the gift, which is a small wooden box in local style.

All of the starwoods in ME seem to have improved SPG policies post some recent meeting.

Platinums are given access to the Towers lounge, which is nice. I haven't been awake in time for the breakfast yet (heh), but

Internet is expensive (BD 9/day) wireless, but decent performance, and unfiltered. UAE is the worst for filtering, as they block even AIM, and if you run an http proxy, your performance is horrible. (and blocked sites include flickr...) Kuwait you can just use a proxy and get around the filter.

Food&Bev is the true weak point of the hotel. Lobby cafe is decent, Persian restaurant is closed, and ordering room service 2 minutes after the cutoff means no food from the Chinese place, so they were probably not too busy either, and had knocked off early. Regular room service food is quite possibly the worst food I've ever had in a hotel.

Housekeeping is great -- I tend to only venture out around 1600, and the guy has been standing in the hall and asks if he can clean my room. Full restocking of supplies, towels, etc.

I've been stuck extending my stay a day at a time, at BHD63/day++, which is kind of painful. At least I'm getting triple points.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Just how bad is the Sheraton Bahrain at the moment?

I will be staying in Bahrain in late November and have a booking currently at the Sheraton. However I have heard that there is substantial renovation work underway at the hotel and the hotel itself is in close proximity to an enormous construction site. Just how bad are things here?

I am considering moving myself to the Ritz Carlton. I would have booked into the Ritz in the first place but I am slightly reluctant to lose my likely room upgrade and Exec lounge access. That said The Ritz is in a much better locatiion for a mainly leisure trip.

Has anyone had any recent experience?
Old Apr 28, 2007, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
There is currently a huge construction site all around the hotel. It is therefore quite noisy in the daytime. British Airways have pulled their crew from the Sheraton and moved to the InterContinental due to the construction site.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I got upgraded to a beautiful two-room suite with dark wood floors, an opulent bathroom, and outstanding furnishings. Definitely one of the nicer rooms I have stayed in.

Also the location is excellent, right in the center of town near the souk.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Can someone helps for the transportation options from airport to Sheraton Bahrain? Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by wendySFO
Can someone helps for the transportation options from airport to Sheraton Bahrain? Thanks for any help.
We arranged for the Sheraton bus to pick us up from the airport, but since most Europe bound flights depart around midnight, the bus wasnt running on our departure. Taxis are available that run to the airport and cost between 10-15 BD for the ride. Of course they will try to charge you much more...

Also during the day time there is a nice mall attached to the Sheraton that has a decent sandwich/short order grill for relatively cheap.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I paid about BD10 last time from the airport.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I paid about BD10 last time from the airport.
Thanks Rambuster. Sheraton just sent me a quote, "shared transfer 6.000 BHD, separate car 15.000 BHD". Seems reasonable for either choice.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 10:49 pm

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I stayed here in February and was overall pleased with the value paid (around BD83 in total). Was upgraded to Jr. Suite as Plat and had access to Club Lounge which is ok.
The only thing the really bothers me every time I stay, is the internet access in the club lounge. It's so slow and expensive. I repeatedly suggested to the hotel management to offer club guests a complementary access, but they still want to charge you $$$$ for turtle speed internet access. Poor sense of customer service, in my view.

The hotel needs lots to catch as it looks out dated in decor and quality service compared to the posh surroundings. The new World Trade center is almost opening. The twin-tower building looking very modern contrasts with an old aging building (the Sheraton hotel).
Old Jun 27, 2008, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do suites or club level guests receive better bathroom toiletries? or does everyone get the same basic Sheraton brand gook that many international properties are still using?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.