FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Bahrain [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Jun 5, 2020, 10:24 am
khabah

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by pafnyc
Is this still on track? Anyone know of the status and/or opening date? Photos/renderings?
Found this 21 hour-old update from an Instagram page called Bahrain Developments that tracks construction and building-related updates across the country. Looks like they're currently gutting the building and tearing down the old driveway and low-rise structures. I've seen an old rendering where the existing building is re-clad but is more or less the same albeit with some modernization, but what was interesting was the construction of a brand new and contemporary looking annex tower that would house the hotel, and a mention that the existing building would be converted to Sheraton-branded residences. I'm not sure that plan is going ahead anymore, so we might just see a comprehensive renovation of the current building.

The plan is still officially to reopen in 2021, but given this COVID-19 situation and the impact it has had on movement and construction globally, I wouldn't be surprised if this dipped into 2022. Seeing as they closed the doors on October 1st, 2019 and only reached this point seven months later, I'd bet on a delay.

khabah

Before:

Update - June 2020: