FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Westin LAX [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/558841-westin-lax-master-thread.html)

np Sep 16, 2006 9:08 pm

Thanks everyone. Switched our next stay to the Sheraton in November.

BL1KITW Sep 17, 2006 12:29 am

Does your government rate include breakfast and drinks?

Originally Posted by mazzer
I agree about the four points, it is my hotel of choice at LAX, especailly travelling on Govt Per Diem (free breakfast and two free cocktails). With Budget across teh road it is very convenient, especailly as a Budget fastbreak member. No standing in line, you go straight to the car.

The three times I have used Thrifty at LAX (when they are much cheaper than budget) I have not had to wait in any line. However, they are probably cheaper those times becuase they had not rented many cars ... hence no lines waiting to get a car!

The Four Points LAX was my first choice until, about three years ago, they took away the perks you mention -- breakfast and cocktails -- for Platinums. I had been getting them routinely and now I can't get them even by asking. I e-mailed the SPG Loyalty Coordinator when reading on FlyerTalk that some Platinums were still receiving breakfast and drinks, and her response was that it must be included in their rate because they are gone as a Platinum benefit. Although I still like the suites and cookies, I've moved most of my stays to the Sheraton Gateway. Nothing like raising rates and reducing perks to drive my business away.

clarkef Sep 17, 2006 12:41 am

I'm one of the few people that affirmatively like the Westin LAX. Like any airport hotel it has its challenges, but some points that must be made
  • The Lounge is 24 hours
  • The Lounge has free computer/HSIA
  • Unlike most hotels the SPG line is manned 18 hours
  • Free coffee and tea in the SPG check in area
  • Extreme likelihood of getting a suite

I stayed at the 4pts once in 2004 and it just didn't feel right.

acalispice Sep 17, 2006 1:18 am

Originally Posted by clarkef
I'm one of the few people that affirmatively like the Westin LAX. Like any airport hotel it has its challenges, but some points that must be made
[list][*]The Lounge is 24 hours

I stayed at the 4pts once in 2004 and it just didn't feel right.

But is there ANYTHING available in the lounge 24 hours/day? I usually see the lounge empty and abandoned.

The Sheraton Gateway lounge is also open 2 hours/day, and always has something available, as well as free computer/internet access. They has have a nice panoramic view of LAX takeoffs/landings from south runways (mainly AA and UA, and some foreign 747's)

Martinis at 8 Sep 17, 2006 3:07 am

I've stayed at all of the LAX hotels. They all seem pretty much the same to me. But...

IMO, saying that the Four Points is better than the Westin, is a stretch. I think the Westin is fine, and put it on par with the Hilton and the Marriot. The Hilton I would say has the much better bar, and the 24hr Fitness gym in the basement is convenient for those who have a chain membership, and also the Kinko's.

M8

azepine00 Sep 18, 2006 12:15 pm

For someone without plat SPG status which property is worth booking for 1 night?
Rates are: Westin $109, Sheraton $119, 4pts $95.

So far I booked 4pts as reviews are consistently OK and the price is right.

kevinsac Sep 18, 2006 1:34 pm

Maybe I'm for the underdog.....maybe I'm lucky......but I have never had a problem at the Westin. IMHO:

Westin -- nice property, clean and well-appointed rooms, prompt service in the SPG check-in line/area, no snacks in the lounge, free HSIA in the lounge (albeit only 2 terminals), easy parking (don't remember the rate) with garage attached to building, upgrade to a suite about 50% (but jacuzzis have been removed or are empty), in the last 5-7 years always get my points posted accurately and promptly. Because it's a newer property and a bit more glitzy, it has a fell of a more upscale property (lobby has lots of big windows, open airy feel, etc.).

Sheraton -- nice property, clean and well-appointed rooms, hit-and-miss on the SPG check-in, good snacks in the lounge for breakfast and early evening, free HSIA in the lounge (again, two terminals), cheap parking (but costs per 24 hour period, which can mean you pay for 2 days if you check in noon one day but have late check-out next day) in general airport parking lot behind the hotel, upgrade to a suite 99%, always get points posted accurately and promptly. The feel in and around the common areas is typical airport/convention-hotel.

4 Points - average property (some portions are actually run-down and some upper hallways are open-air), nice to average rooms, WiFi only, no SPG check-in line, no lounge that I have seen (I've asked), cheap parking in lot behind the building, never received an upgrade (at least, as far as I could tell), always get points posted accurately and promptly. This hotel, inside and out, gives me an "inner-city" feel.

If the price were the same at all properties, I would stay at the Sheraton first (simply because I know that I will get a nice, comfortable suite), then the Westin (which property and standard rooms I like better), and last the 4 Points. Since I am addicted to *Wood and generally won't stay at other chains, I'd even pay $30-50 more (and probably out of my own pocket, due to reimbursement policies) at the Sheraton and Westin before I go to the 4 Points.

YMMV

bigguyinpasadena Sep 18, 2006 3:43 pm

Follow up?

Well I contacted starwood c/s.They responded saying I my complaint would be forwarded to the hotel manager and that I would have a response within 5 days.No response in a week.
I guess I can see why the staff is so badly trained.
I guess I will escalate this via a letter :rolleyes:

iggyv Sep 19, 2006 8:41 am

I've had positive experiences at the Westin, the Sheraton and the 4pts LAX (not so much the 4pts CC). However I favor the Westin simply because my wife and I like the Heavenly Bed and the routine availability of a two-room suite (as opposed to simply a larger room dubbed a suite which we've gotten at the other two properties). Recently most of our stays have been on points and I always call and ask for an exec level room with the coffee/pastry cart, lounge access and free local and long distance calling. I think we've been upgraded nearly 100% of the time on weekend reservations and maybe 50% weekdays. I guess it's just a matter of taste, but these two advantages offered by the Westin LAX are most important to us.

SB_Travlr Sep 19, 2006 11:35 am

Originally Posted by mazzer
Thrifty is next door to the Westin ... It would make sense to rent from them if you want to return the car early and walk back to the hotel.

Alternatively, Budget is across the road from the Four Points

My 2 cents on the rental/hotel shuttle conundrum:
We had an early morning departure from LAX, so just wanted to take one shuttle (from Sheraton to aiport). After a terrific dinner in Santa Monica (Jiraffe), we drove back to Hertz and they gave us a ride back to the hotel. Seems they do this all the time -- worked out great, and saved precious time in the morning. :)

clarkef Sep 19, 2006 11:45 am

Originally Posted by acalispice
But is there ANYTHING available in the lounge 24 hours/day? I usually see the lounge empty and abandoned.

The Sheraton Gateway lounge is also open 2 hours/day, and always has something available, as well as free computer/internet access. They has have a nice panoramic view of LAX takeoffs/landings from south runways (mainly AA and UA, and some foreign 747's)

I haven't been at the Sheraton in years, but when I used to stay there, the Lounge was open from 6am to 11pm, didn't have computers. I can't speak for today, but the Westin LAX is one of the few Westin with a Lounge. It also have Free HSIA which is great since I loath traveling with me laptop.

The Westin used to regularly have apples, oranges, plums, and pluots. They've been hit ans miss lately with that. They also experimented with putting bottled water in the Lounge.

I'm not a big Lounge person, so the 24hr free HSIA is the big draw fo rme. Others like free food a la Marriott and Hilton. Since free food tends to be all carbs, I'm don't really care.

I do agree that the Westin LAX Lounge could be so much better though. Some suggestions
  • More Computers
  • Regularly stock with fruit
  • Bring back the bottled water
  • Coffee and tea should be available 24/7

chuck1 Dec 4, 2006 11:09 pm

New LAX Airport Shuttle At Westin

I couldn't find this in search, but I wanted to know if anyone has experience with the new shared shuttle.

I got on tonight and it was a contracted company sharing with Holiday Inn and another hotel..La Quinta or something like that.

The Westin is the first stop from the airport but that also means that you stop at the two other hotels on the way back to LAX.

The front desk told me this was a new restriction from the airport regarding traffic and reducing polution.

He told me they come by every 15-30 :eek: minutes and if you are going all the way say to UA on the far side of the airport to allow 30 minute of travel time.

Anyone done this yet?

The Sheraton still had their own shuttle. I asked the front desk at Westin about this and was told their contract hadn't expired but they too will have a shared shuttle soon?

DTNF130L Dec 4, 2006 11:12 pm

Yes, LAX is requiring this of all hotels operating shuttles to the airport. It's basically a strong arm tactic. Not sure if they modeled this off of the similar program in place at SFO or if this programs is less consumer friendly (which it sounds like).
http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/061204/0191360.html

number_6 Dec 4, 2006 11:24 pm

It is part of the LAX settlement with the neighbouring cities, and is meant to reduce air pollution. No hotel is allowed to have an exclusive shuttle into LAX now, they are all shared with other hotels or parking lots, and the shuttles are limited to a certain number of runs per day. This has been in effect for a long time now (at least 6 months) and has worked surprisingly well (much better than I expected, but I stay at the Sheraton Gateway now in part because it is so close to LAX, making their shuttle pretty efficient).

The irony of this deal is that converting all the shuttles to alternate fuels could save a lot more air pollution than this approach (also the hotel shuttles are something like 3% of the air pollution from cars at LAX, so the real solution would be to prohibit cars idling curbside -- but that is a political hot potato).

chuck1 Dec 4, 2006 11:29 pm

My flight is tomorrow from T4 at 0715. I'll keep you posted.

The front desk guy says lots of people are now taking taxis ($5-10) from the hotel to the airport.

It might be more pleasant to find a hotel in Marina del Rey and take a cab round-trip if the waits and stops are too much.