Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

From website Feb 26, 2018:

Transformation Work: January - December 2018

From January 2018 through December 2018, there is ongoing work to add two additional floors for the new Executive Club Lounge, a Rooftop Sky Bar as well as new guest rooms. During this time, the previous Executive Lounge will be closed for transformation work. In addition, certain Executive benefits will be substituted for other benefits. Work is scheduled daily from 9am to 6pm. During this time, all efforts will be made to keep disruption to a minimum. Please email the hotel at [email protected] for additional information.
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA and HH
I stayed here a few days ago and agree with most of what has been said above. I also stayed at the Hyatt just a few blocks away the night before and would recommend that over the LM. The Hyatt rooms are a lot nicer, faster internet, and I was treated a lot better as a Plat v. Gold at LM (both mid-tier). Had executive lounge access at Hyatt, which was nice. If you have no status at all and prices are the same, I'd go with Hyatt because they have free internet.

I also had a foul smell in my bathroom in the morning hours. Not sure what it was but it was so bad I had to get up and shut the bathroom door. It went away by lunch time so maybe it was the guy above me taking a dump, who knows.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:43 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Le Meridien Hotel, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia || 4 nights, 2 stays.

November 2013

While planning our Malaysia trip we also wanted to return to Kota Kinabalu, short KK, on the island of Borneo, where we had stayed four years ago at the Hyatt Regency. We thought this time around we wanted to try the Le Meridien, situated in the heart of KK and stayed twice for two nights each - before and after our trip to Miri, also in Borneo, in the state of Sarawak, while KK is located in Sabah. We are members of Starwood's Preferred Guest program and used points on both occasions.

Our flight with Malaysia Airlines from Kuala Lumpur to Kota Kinabalu was eventless. In the arrivals hall we bought a taxi voucher to our hotel. It cost 30 MYR (ca. 6.95 Euro or ca. 9.40 USD).

At the hotel the car doors were opened for us and we were warmly welcomed. The gentleman at reception was friendly and efficient. He assigned us a nice room on the top floor. It was in good condition, but showed some wear and tear.

Our room was very large with city views. The color scheme was brown, gold, beige and red. The furniture was comfortable and classic in style with a large king sized bed, comfortable chairs, wardrobe and a large writing desk. There was also a mini bar and 24 hours in room dining available. The TV was too small. The channel selection was good with regional and international channels.

The large bath room had a separate bath tub and shower, a sink, a mix of Cinque Montes & Le Meridien own branded amenities, a toilet and bidet.

We enjoyed the room very much and the bath room was also to our liking.

We had visited the hotel for cakes and coffee, when we stayed at the Hyatt Regency for years ago and saw some changes in the public spaces. The Circle Restaurant is smaller now and the lobby ceiling is traditional Malaysian. The gift shop and reception are still to the left. There is also a tour desk in the lobby. More about that later.

The Le Meridien also has the Lounge, Flame, a steak house and the Solace Spa.

During both our stays we used in room dining. Wines per glass started from 28 MYR (ca. 6.50 Euro or ca. 8.75 USD) or a bottle from 150 MYR (ca. 34.70 Euro or ca. 46.85 USD), starters from 22 MYR (ca. 5.10 Euro or ca. 6.90 USD) and mains range from 30 MYR to 90 MYR (from ca. 6.95 Euro to 20.85 Euro or ca. 9.40 USD to 28.10 USD).

We had a la carte breakfast incl. for example pancakes and French Toast, juice and milk for 101 MYR (ca. 23.40 Euro or ca. 31.55 USD) or dinners, like Spaghetti Bolognese, Nasi Goreng and Hainan Chicken. It was never more expensive than 140 MYR (ca. 32.40 Euro or ca. 43.75 USD). The service was always prompt and friendly.

During our first stay we were also invited to the management party. I went alone, because my better half wasn't feeling well enough to go. I attended very short, trying the delicious snacks and drinks. Everyone seemed to know everyone, so I felt a bit left out and lonely. Next time either both of us are going or I'm going to give it a pass.

When we checked in the second time around we were surprised we didn't hear anything like: "Welcome back." It had been only three days earlier that we had checked out. The receptionist tried to sell us upgrades to breakfast or club lounge access.

We refused politely. The experience left a slightly bitter taste.

Our room on the 9th floor had roughly the same size and set up as the one on the 12th floor. It had less storage space, showed more wear and tear, but had a larger shower cubicle. Overall it was as comfortable as the other room with the same view over the city.

We wanted to book a city tour with the tour operator in the lobby. At other hotels, for example the Miri Marriott, the Napasai Koh Samui, Thailand or Kempinski Ajman, United Arab Emirates, we could easily charge tours to the hotel room, but payment was immediately required here, so a bit disappointed we went upstairs again to get cash. The city tour was 100 MYR per person (ca. 23.15 Euro or ca. 31.25 USD).

The tour itself was great. We had a driver and a guide for ourselves. We saw the Menara Tun Mustafa, the Atkins Clock Tower, the Sabah Museum, a Buddhist temple, Kota Kinabalu City Mosque and many other things. We learned a lot and Jessel, our guide, was a good source of information about the history of the island and own experiences growing up and living in Sabah.

Check out was a pleasant experience. It was fast, efficient and friendly.

Overall we enjoyed staying at the hotel, because the food is high quality, the rooms comfortable and the staff friendly. We have also heard of renovation plans.

We would have only wished we would have received some form of recognition for staying a second time within in a few days at the property and think it would be more convenient for other guests as well to be able to charge any tour bookings to the room.

We would stay here again, but not during our next visit to KK, because we would like to experience other hotels in the area and even try the Hyatt Regency KK again too.

Would we recommend this hotel to a friend? YES!^
Would we stay again at this hotel? YES, but this depends on what's on offer at the other hotels in KK.^

Thank you and always safe travels!

|| LE MERIDIEN HOTEL || KOTA KINABALU || SABAH || ISLAND OF BORNEO || MALAYSIA || November 2013 || We enjoyed our 2 Stays / 4 Nights at this premier hotel || STARWOOD HOTELS & RESORTS || by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

|| LE MERIDIEN HOTEL || KOTA KINABALU || SABAH || ISLAND OF BORNEO || MALAYSIA || November 2013 || We enjoyed our 2 Stays / 4 Nights at this premier hotel || STARWOOD HOTELS & RESORTS || by || UggBoy♥UggGirl || PHOTO || WORLD || TRAVEL ||, on Flickr

Thank you and always safe travels!

Last edited by uggboy; Jan 13, 2014 at 9:54 am
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:15 am

Just finished up a 4 night stay with two rooms and I'm PLT. Was given two regular connecting rooms our first two nights and finally upgraded to a suite with sea view with a connecting room the last two nights. This was a family vacation.

At a little over 100 USD I think this hotel has value. However, I would still look at the Hyatt or maybe even the shangri la. I would have a hard time paying over 150 for this hotel.

The good:
Center of town within walking distance of the night market.
Rooms are spacious
Suite is vary spacious with separate living room and half bath
Club lounge has a great view overlooking the south China sea for viewing great sunsets
Breakfast is decent with various selections of food
Staff were friendly and polite
The pool has a bar and some views of the sea but trees block most of the views. Don't go before noon as the sun will be blocked by the hotel and the water will be cold. You may also get the smells from the fish market below.
Live music
Large bathrooms with separate bath and shower

The bad:
Two of our four pillows in our first rooms were those hard foam pillows. 1 pillow in our suite was the foam pillow.
I guess I'm spoiled with the heavenly beds. These beds are not them and were stiff in my opinion.
The closets had lights in them that leak though. Most closets that have lights in them turn off when you close the door but these didn't and I had to unplug them at night so I could sleep.
Overall the hotel feels worn and it seems liked little details are not kept up.
Couches in suites are not fold out so you will need extra roll away beds for kids.
Flat screen TV is small, maybe 27"
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: MPC -> QFF
I've booked a trip to KK for Easter weekend (Apr 02 - 06) and I'm considering staying at this property. However, many of the reviews on tripadvisor tend to comment of the worn and dated state of the rooms and furnishings.

Hotel Management has replied that renovations are scheduled to start in early March. I wonder if anyone has any more info on this? It would make the decision much easier.

Otherwise I may look at booking the Hyatt (similar price & rooms look much more modern) or one of the Shangri-La resorts.

thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by fluffydot
I've booked a trip to KK for Easter weekend (Apr 02 - 06) and I'm considering staying at this property. However, many of the reviews on tripadvisor tend to comment of the worn and dated state of the rooms and furnishings.

Hotel Management has replied that renovations are scheduled to start in early March. I wonder if anyone has any more info on this? It would make the decision much easier.

Otherwise I may look at booking the Hyatt (similar price & rooms look much more modern) or one of the Shangri-La resorts.

thanks.
If modernity of the rooms is important to you, then don’t stay at the LMKK. The strength of the hotel is the location with markets, restaurants, convenience stores, bars etc at your doorstep.
Bear in mind that the Shangri-La is away from the hustle and bustle, so depending on what you’re looking for can feel a bit secluded – i.e. you won’t be able to walk out to the nearby markets.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:34 am

thanks.
Wow can't believe they have not even started the reno's. They told us last year that they were scheduled to start the reno's!

If your wallet can afford it then go for Shangri-la.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: MPC -> QFF
I decided to email the hotel and received a quick response from the front office manager. Unfortunately, it seems that the rooms are not even being updated in this reno.

Greetings from Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu!

Thank you for considering us as one of your preferred hotel for your upcoming stay. Our renovation are still on schedule and expected to start early March however at this stage it only involve the hotel lobby and restaurants. Our rooms will maintain as current and still available during the renovation period.
In the meantime, should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
There are many reviews on TripAdvisor about paint peeling off the walls, facets and showers being in disrepair. In light of this, I will most likely stay elsewhere for this trip.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Stayed at Le Meridian Kinabalu for 3 days and found the air conditioning temperature increases after midnight and the room gets warm...and then it re-sets itself after 6.00am..anyone else notice this?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.

thanks.
The Hyatt went above and beyond with their renovations. Very VERY impressed with what they did. Their coffee house/restaurant just re-opened a couple of months back after a 6 month renovation and is very impressive.

Food choices and options for breakfast and dinner buffet was also very impressive. Rooms are very new and comfortable.

Probably the best hotel in the city center now by a mile.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium; UA Silver
Smile Any updates on Le Meridian rennovation and Hyatt vs Le Meridian

Planning to stay in Kota Kinabalu later in January for three nights for leisure. Does anyone have any updates on how the renovation is proceeding and on how much it impacts your stay.

Also, from what have read above, seems the opinion is for now to stay at the Hyatt vs the Le Meridian.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Wiki updated regarding the renovations.

Upgrading Project Until December 2016

During 2016, there will be ongoing renovation to the guestroom floors of the hotel. Work is scheduled for Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm and from 10am to 5pm on weekends and public holidays. All efforts will be made to keep noise disruption to an absolute minimum. Please contact the hotel for further information.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: Trying my best to love Le Club Accor (Gold)
Originally Posted by flyalotlm
Planning to stay in Kota Kinabalu later in January for three nights for leisure. Does anyone have any updates on how the renovation is proceeding and on how much it impacts your stay.

Also, from what have read above, seems the opinion is for now to stay at the Hyatt vs the Le Meridian.
Choose the Hyatt for sure. My last stay at LMKK was sort of unpleasant due to the poor room condition...mainly the musty/moldy smell. i found the breakfast at Hyatt is the tastiest if compared to LMKK and Magellan Sutera (my go to places in KK)
Their new Italian restaurant Favola is quite good though
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium; UA Silver
Smile Any updates on Le Meridian rennovation and Hyatt vs Le Meridian

Originally Posted by Ver Jaina
Choose the Hyatt for sure. My last stay at LMKK was sort of unpleasant due to the poor room condition...mainly the musty/moldy smell. i found the breakfast at Hyatt is the tastiest if compared to LMKK and Magellan Sutera (my go to places in KK)
Their new Italian restaurant Favola is quite good though
Thanks for the info Ver Jaina!!
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
just stayed for 3 days last month and the new renovated pool opened up.
For sure the hotel is tired, however look around for BRG's.
We got our room CHEAP, so it was worth it.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
since it's been almost a year since the last post ... does anyone know how the renovation is going ?

From website seems the lower tier rooms have been refurbished 1st and are now open for booking. However Club and Suite rooms still display the old style.

How good is the Lounge at this property ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.