Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

From website Feb 26, 2018:

Transformation Work: January - December 2018

From January 2018 through December 2018, there is ongoing work to add two additional floors for the new Executive Club Lounge, a Rooftop Sky Bar as well as new guest rooms. During this time, the previous Executive Lounge will be closed for transformation work. In addition, certain Executive benefits will be substituted for other benefits. Work is scheduled daily from 9am to 6pm. During this time, all efforts will be made to keep disruption to a minimum. Please email the hotel at [email protected] for additional information.
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:48 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum 100; Hilton Gold; Ritz Gold; UA 1K
Originally Posted by LarryU
The good news is that all of the taxis in KK have meters; the bad news is that virtually none of them will use them. That being said, most of the taxis charge a standard non-negotiable rate for the 15 minute trip downtown. If I recall correctly, the rate was in the vicinity of RM 20 when I was there last January. Other than the standard airport fare, arranging for taxis for local transport during your stay will typically require a fair amount of negotiation and vigilance.
Thanks for the info. I'm debating between Hotel limo (RM 160) or taking the taxi. The problem is we will arrive around 10:30pm and this is our first time to the country. I assume the hotel is in the city center? And is the city generally a safe place?

One more question: is there an ATM machine in the airport (i.e., arrival hall). I try not to buy foreign currencies at home because of poor exchange rate. Foreign ATM withdraw is always cheaper, but at the risk of not finding one right away...

Thanks.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jyu174
Thanks for the info. I'm debating between Hotel limo (RM 160) or taking the taxi. The problem is we will arrive around 10:30pm and this is our first time to the country. I assume the hotel is in the city center? And is the city generally a safe place?

One more question: is there an ATM machine in the airport (i.e., arrival hall). I try not to buy foreign currencies at home because of poor exchange rate. Foreign ATM withdraw is always cheaper, but at the risk of not finding one right away...

Thanks.
Personally, I would opt for the taxi. I have visited KK several times and have never encountered any issues regarding airport transportation via taxi. Arranging for taxis around the KK area itself is another matter entirely and one that I found to be not especially enjoyable.

As far as safety is concerned, I have walked all through the area during the day but I have been warned on several occasions to be careful where I wander at night. In my case, it was not an issue for me because I am usually awake in the early AM so I turn in fairly early at night.

Regarding ATMs, I don't think I have ever encountered an airport that lacked ATMs so I suspect that would not be a problem. That being said, I cannot vouch for this personally because I always arrive in KK via KL so I already had cash. Please note that there are two separate terminals at KK and I have typically used the low cost terminal inhabited by Air Asia, which I found to be perfectly acceptable. In fact, when I flew from KK to SIN last January, I used the main terminal, which was in horrific shape (i.e. no A/C) due to extensive renovations that were in progress.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 12:32 am

Programs: SPG Platinum 100; Hilton Gold; Ritz Gold; UA 1K
Originally Posted by LarryU
Personally, I would opt for the taxi. I have visited KK several times and have never encountered any issues regarding airport transportation via taxi. Arranging for taxis around the KK area itself is another matter entirely and one that I found to be not especially enjoyable.

As far as safety is concerned, I have walked all through the area during the day but I have been warned on several occasions to be careful where I wander at night. In my case, it was not an issue for me because I am usually awake in the early AM so I turn in fairly early at night.

Regarding ATMs, I don't think I have ever encountered an airport that lacked ATMs so I suspect that would not be a problem. That being said, I cannot vouch for this personally because I always arrive in KK via KL so I already had cash. Please note that there are two separate terminals at KK and I have typically used the low cost terminal inhabited by Air Asia, which I found to be perfectly acceptable. In fact, when I flew from KK to SIN last January, I used the main terminal, which was in horrific shape (i.e. no A/C) due to extensive renovations that were in progress.
Thanks for the info. We will also fly in via Air Asia (from Macau), terminal 2, I think.

For airport taxi, do they use a voucher-based system like in KL? Or the driver just tells me it's RM 20?
Old Nov 9, 2008, 7:30 am

I've never felt remotely unsafe wandering around KK at any hour. I'm pretty sure I remeber there being an atm within the arrivals area, but I don't want to confirm 100%.

For sure go with the taxi. rm160 is crazy for a rm20 taxi trip.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 10:24 pm

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu

Hi,
I have a trip planned for Kota Kinabalu and due to some changes. I will now be bring along my parents-in-law. So, we'll now need 2 rooms.

We've got 3 kids (5,3 & 1) and plan to get a roll-away for my eldest child, as well as a crib for my baby, while the other shares the bed with us. Based on some feedback, the LM @ KK is generous with Plats. So, does that mean we can get confirmed upgrade to the suite as well as lounge access? And if so, how are the suites & lounge access, is b'fast in as well or should I book the b'fast package??

As for my parents-in-law, I'll need a room for them, so should I get them a b'fast package or is there any chance of them upgrading both rooms or perhaps just one room but lounge access for both rooms?

Hmmm, I gotta figure out the best way to keep everybody happy...
thanks for any input from any recent stays.

Cheers!
Sqmy

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Nov 20, 2008 at 4:30 pm Reason: Merged into master thread for ease in future searches
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:24 pm

I just finished 2 stays at LM KK-- excellent hotel, excellent location and the Exec Lounge staff were extremely efficient and friendly. We had suite upgrades confirmed way before we arrived. The lounge has fantastic ocean views. I'd suggest book the two rooms but for your paents-in-law pay extra points to have them upgraded to the Club Floor. You won't regret it. You can give your parent's in law your suite and then you will be set!! You can have breakfast at the restuarunt--but the sevice is poor. ( BTW don't forget the Chinese/fresh seafood restuarunt across the street)
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:49 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
I got a Suite and lounge access no problem when I stayed there earlier this year.

I agree the lounge has great views out over the sea, and you get some decent views on aircraft on their climb out or on short finals to BKI itself!
Old Nov 19, 2008, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
I spent one night this past august, before heading to the Shangri-la (the one closer to the city, the name escapes me now). I have no status but I've been upgraded to the executive floor, because the hotel was very busy, no lounge access though. The room was huge but we there was an horrible noise coming from the closet area just outside the bathroom; I believe it was coming from the ventilation system but it was not related to the AC which was switched off. We asked to be moved to another room and they did. The room was smaller but still very large with two bathrooms (1 br and 1 toilet). Service was ok, a little slow. Room service efficient.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:06 pm

Tks very much for the very updated info ...
will book the 2 rooms ....
just a superior room for myself -> for upgrade to suite? & lounge access?
and a seaview room withe lounge access for my parents-in-law.

And hope that the upgrade gets reflected early so that I can make changes if needed.

Cheers!!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 3:29 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by MACH81
I spent one night this past august, before heading to the Shangri-la (the one closer to the city, the name escapes me now).
That's the Tanjung Aru. The Rasa Ria is the one about 30 minutes outside town with the Orang-utans.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
That's the Tanjung Aru. The Rasa Ria is the one about 30 minutes outside town with the Orang-utans.
Right! How could I forget. Lovely stay!
Old Nov 22, 2008, 8:23 pm

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
Took some pictures in Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu @ my Flickr!
Old Nov 23, 2008, 6:53 am

Programs: QR P; TK E; FB S; BA S; UA S; MB LTT; HH D; IHG DAmb
Nice photos, MattTaiwan! Thanks for sharing.^
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:15 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, A-Club Gold
Just had a 3N stay here on corporate rate. There were cheaper rates after my reservation but since mine was prepaid, no changes were allowed.

My first impression was that the hotel looks old, dark and gloomy. As a Corporate Preferred, I was upgraded to SPG floor with half city and sea view.

The room was average-sized and definitely looks dated, with paint peeling off on the table, chair, etc. The bathroom was small, shower door was creaky and toilet flush was not working properly. There were 4 complimentary bottles of water but no fruit platter.

There was a day when we weren't given the 4 bottles of water, so we asked the housekeeper who happened to be cleaning the room next door. She said she forgot, but also went to get the bottles from somewhere else instead of her trolley. I wonder if she really forgot, or ran out and was too lazy to get them?! We also found one of the plates we used was just wiped and not washed because I could still see the oil and marks.

LCD TV was the smallest I've seen in a Starwood hotel so far and there were not many channels. I had very bad reception so I called "Solutions" and they sent an engineer. He couldn't repair and said that he'll be back but never returned.

Later in the day, we found a note under the door which said there would be "a minimum 2 hours" power shutdown at midnight due to a scheduled maintenance. I thought we should've been informed earlier or prior to check-in.

The swimming pool is very small and as expected, gets quite crowded.

I think the only plus side is the hotel's location - it's located in town and surrounded by Warisan Square, City Parade, the waterfront and market. The jetty is also a mere 20 minutes walk, which is where you'd go for island-hopping.

Would I stay here again? Probably but only if they have good offers running because I could find a better hotel for RM330/night.
Old May 16, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Larry Lim, I have to agree on certain aspects of the hotel as it is getting older and older. My last stay, I noticed the shower handle was broken but I am sure it wasn't the case for every room in the hotel.

About the "small" LCD TV, bear in mind that back in 2004/05 when the hotel was first opened, LCD unit at any hotel was a luxury rather than a commonplace item. That 19" or 21" LCD unit was well ahead of its peer during that time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.