Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Ahhh.... 3 yrs... you weren't there in the "golden age".... plats offered an "extra amenity at check in" on a welcome card, fresh squeezed orange juice delivered to the room, some laundry benefit, edible to good breakfast in the restaurant without question, staff who were happy and not demoralized.........
First the extra benefit went, then breakfast got worse, then plats couldn't even HAVE breakfast in the restaurant......
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:55 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I stayed at this hotel for a decade and breakfast was always available in the restaurant. The last GM put an end to that. I remember me and my guest being asked to put our forks down and leave. And the management at the time couldn't see anything wrong with it.

These days, the hotel is just fine. The staff are great. The rooms ok. And, the view as good as ever.

They still don't have any furniture in the lobby, which made things awkward during the conference there earlier this week.

But, I heard that breakfast will soon be permitted in the restaurant downstairs, again for Platinum members.

I stayed over a dozen times here last year. If Plat breakfast comes back, I'll be moving my business back here again, for sure.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I stayed over a dozen times here last year. If Plat breakfast comes back, I'll be moving my business back here again, for sure.
Why reward a property that evidently doesn't really value you? I would be keeping my business away as a matter of principle.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
I stayed at this hotel for a decade and breakfast was always available in the restaurant. The last GM put an end to that. I remember me and my guest being asked to put our forks down and leave. And the management at the time couldn't see anything wrong with it.

These days, the hotel is just fine. The staff are great. The rooms ok. And, the view as good as ever.

They still don't have any furniture in the lobby, which made things awkward during the conference there earlier this week.

But, I heard that breakfast will soon be permitted in the restaurant downstairs, again for Platinum members.

I don't think that major changes will happen at the ROSH before Marriott is able to reach (or finalize) a deal to sell its shares in this property.

Since Keith Hardie is gone and has not been replaced yet, the HM might be able to take some initiatives to bring back Platinum and repeat guests. One of them could be the breakfast downstairs (which, for what I recall, was not the greatest experience when groups were in the hotel) or things like complimentary pieces of laundry.

She could reach out to them by email to announce the (eventual) improvements.

As far as the lounge is concerned, let's not forget that it is now shared with SPG Amex cardholders. That Starwood deal with Amex certainly does not help to maintain a good level of quality on the 27th floor.

Last edited by UASPG; Jan 14, 2017 at 9:06 am
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by estnet
... the "golden age".... plats offered ... fresh squeezed orange juice delivered to the room, some laundry benefit, edible to good excellent, both in variety of selections and quality, breakfast in the restaurant without question, staff who were happy and not demoralized.........
Golden age? Sounds like standard operations at SGS to me!!

I remember me and my guest being asked to put our forks down and leave. And the management at the time couldn't see anything wrong with it.
Wonder where that manager went to hospitality school. I might have been inclined to reply that I'd be back in half an hour to add my room key to the forks since I wouldn't be needing it any more.

If Plat breakfast comes back, I'll be moving my business back here again, for sure.
Originally Posted by zzap
Why reward a property that evidently doesn't really value you? I would be keeping my business away as a matter of principle.
That's the point. 2lovelife is suggesting that the return of the full breakfast, on which he obviously places a high value, would be an indication to him that changes have been made and that the hotel does, once again, value his business.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Apparently, the hotel has finally a new General Manager:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-schlueter-b162608

Last edited by UASPG; Feb 12, 2017 at 5:42 am
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Stayed here late last month on the final leg of an Asia trip that last several weeks. Upgraded to a very nice suite with 3 large floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Chao Phraya. Absolutely loved the room.

Checkin was at the lounge where we had breakfast as well. Great service, helpful concierge and received the platinum gift of 500 point as well as breakfast.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:58 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Currently here. My stay has been great!!!!!

http://www.royalorchidsheraton.com/club-benefits
Complimentary afternoon tea is available from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM

However, afternoon tea is now just that, only a cup of tea (or soft drink).

Great work ROS. My favorite SPG hotel in BKK!

Last edited by seanthepilot; Jun 17, 2017 at 2:36 am
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Currently here. My stay has been great!!!!!

http://www.royalorchidsheraton.com/club-benefits
Complimentary afternoon tea is available from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM

However, afternoon tea is now just that, only a cup of tea (or soft drink).

Great work ROS. My favorite SPG hotel in BKK!
You mean you didn't get the option of coffee, afternoon snacks, and peanuts?

Good link. Thanks.

So did you get 3 pieces of laundry done? Also is 10:30 pm now a later lounge closing than before?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:25 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Originally Posted by levistrauss

Checkin was at the lounge where we had breakfast as well. Great service, helpful concierge and received the platinum gift of 500 point as well as breakfast.
this is standard, or were u given the choice for bf at restaurant ?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:39 pm

I recently stayed here for the first time and found the hotel to be quite value for money (BRG rate of 3200 THB++) considering what I received - upgrade to Executive Suite, 500 points + breakfast at the lounge, 2000 points from BRG and lounge access.

The breakfast was a bit underwhelming though, with limited hot items and the seating area with the best view being out of bounds. The food quality during Evening Cocktails also left a bit more to be desired, but I was genuinely impressed with the quality of the bartending service as well as the cocktails - quite rare (at least to my knowledge) to have a full bar and bartenders in a hotel lounge.

A/C in the room was not strong enough, and I thought rooms did not feel as clean and spotless as other SPG properties in town (i.e. SGS or W), maybe that's a result of the A/C and use of more dust-prone and dark-colored fabrics.

This is also the first hotels in many stays where I actually found the lack of and arrangement of sockets to charge my gadgets annoying. Many sockets have electricity disconnected when I turn off all lights with the Master switch, and I had to trial and error a few times to see which ones are still powered on when the Master switch is turned off. I ended up moving the bedside table to a socket away from the bed to charge my gadgets.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:16 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by cln
this is standard, or were u given the choice for bf at restaurant ?
The option for breakfast by the river has been removed by management years ago. Breakfast at the restaurant was underwhelming as well ...
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by kevino
You mean you didn't get the option of coffee, afternoon snacks, and peanuts?

Good link. Thanks.

So did you get 3 pieces of laundry done? Also is 10:30 pm now a later lounge closing than before?
A friend of mine who is a frequent of the ROS and SPG Plat just confirmed
No more snacks in the afternoon 2-4pm, High Tea time.

Only tea or coffee, soft drinks.

HH has been cut back 530-730pm from 530-8pm

Also laundry benefits are for guests who actually pay for club floor access
not upgraded Platinum guests.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Central90210
... I was genuinely impressed with the quality of the bartending service as well as the cocktails - quite rare (at least to my knowledge) to have a full bar and bartenders in a hotel lounge.
Neither LM nor SGS has a lounge. Instead, the PLT Happy Hour benefit is given in the bar (or, for SGS, in your choice of bars), where you do, indeed, have full bartender service. That's my preference, as you have a much wider choice and can have professionally mixed drinks as opposed to pour from a bottle.

Originally Posted by lovtofly3
A friend of mine who is a frequent of the ROS and SPG Plat just confirmed
No more snacks in the afternoon 2-4pm, High Tea time.

Only tea or coffee, soft drinks.
So it's not even real "tea" as one might expect in London. It is, quite literally, a cup of tea.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Jun 19, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by Central90210

quite rare (at least to my knowledge) to have a full bar and bartenders in a hotel lounge.
I agree. The only other one I recall is the Westin Lima.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.