Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Getting taxis here was a pain you can get a taxi but the drivers will basically make up a rate they like
The doormen will make sure they use meters, although taxis no longer cruise past with the same frequency as before and it can take a few minutes to get one. The ones parked opposite are the usual Bangkok rogues/ratbags looking for a negotiated ( ie inflated) fare.
BTW, the day shift doorman has worked there for 25 years; the concierge has been there since it opened in 1985/86.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by UASPG
Did you check the rates, lately?
Yes, but that very high rate is just for CNY, isn’t it ( I can see it back under 4000B from next month). I hope so.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:25 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
They going up to Category 3 starting March 5, 2019 - 12.5K to 17.5K points per night!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by paolo64

Yes, but that very high rate is just for CNY, isn’t it ( I can see it back under 4000B from next month). I hope so.
Even in May, I saw some THB 4,500 rates.

'Aging' Bellmen and Concierge seeing guests getting older: that's the beauty of working and staying in a hotel where there is an union.

Last edited by UASPG; Mar 21, 2019 at 9:29 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Coming to BKK end of April and most likely will be staying of ROS. My question is where are the junior suites and suites located ? Left, Middle or Right or do they vary ? Looking for the best possible view .
Thank you..
Flyiboy
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:38 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flyiboy
Coming to BKK end of April and most likely will be staying of ROS. My question is where are the junior suites and suites located ? Left, Middle or Right or do they vary ? Looking for the best possible view .
Thank you..
Flyiboy
All rooms face the river, and have a pretty good view - for my last junior suite, I was to the right of the lounge (when facing the river/hallway to the lounge), about 4-5 rooms down the hallway.

From another stay, I had the Executive 1 Bedroom, which was at the end of the middle hotel corridor (essentially a corner room, on a lower floor placed directly below where the lounge is located).
Flyiboy likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Absolute
All rooms face the river, and have a pretty good view - for my last junior suite, I was to the right of the lounge (when facing the river/hallway to the lounge), about 4-5 rooms down the hallway.

From another stay, I had the Executive 1 Bedroom, which was at the end of the middle hotel corridor (essentially a corner room, on a lower floor placed directly below where the lounge is located).
Thank you for the insight Absolute
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Flyiboy
Thank you..
Flyiboy
As mentioned by Absolute, all rooms have a good view. The slightly better one is from those on the left of the wing closest to the river, as they look down the water towards Taksin ( Sathon) Bridge. On the nights of fireworks it is much better to be on that side, as each of the hotels downriver puts on a show ( Oriental, Shangri La, Four Seasons) and sometimes a combined one. It’s quite spectacular. So on the left side when facing the river is the best bet in a junior suite.
Executive Suite you get a 180, so irrelevant.
Absolute likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:00 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by paolo64
As mentioned by Absolute, all rooms have a good view. The slightly better one is from those on the left of the wing closest to the river, as they look down the water towards Taksin ( Sathon) Bridge. On the nights of fireworks it is much better to be on that side, as each of the hotels downriver puts on a show ( Oriental, Shangri La, Four Seasons) and sometimes a combined one. It’s quite spectacular. So on the left side when facing the river is the best bet in a junior suite.
Executive Suite you get a 180, so irrelevant.

Left side view facing Taksin bridge (2010) - warehouses on the right are now a huge riverside megamall called ICONSIAM

View facing north (right)

Jr. Suite on the same tower as the executive lounge

Executive Suite - you have to take 2 elevators to reach the lounge!
Horace, Absolute and paolo64 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I posted this on the lounge thread.

Bangkok / Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers

Lounge open 7 days a week. Very nice lounge with attentive evening service and wonderful views.

LOUNGE HOURS 06:30 AM to 10:30 PM
BREAKFAST 07:00 AM to 11:00 AM
EVENING COCKTAILS 04:30 PM to 07:30 PM *
SNACKS & DESSERTS 05:30 PM to 07:30 PM

* During the pre-dinner cocktail hours
(04:30 PM to 07:30 PM)
shorts and slippers are not permitted.

Sheraton is one of the brands that allows a restaurant breakfast as a welcome gift option for Platinum Elite (or higher) member + 1 (instead of 1000 points or a local amenity). Because we were being picked up at 7:00 AM, we opted for the restaurant breakfast because the restaurant opens for breakfast at 6:30 AM, but the lounge would not serve breakfast until 7:00 AM.

Excellent buffet breakfast in the restaurant. Many choices.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:35 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
sorry, wrong info on my part
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
"escape4 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Royal Orchid Sheraton - Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread] - in the Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy forum of FlyerTalk Forums.

Has someone stayed here recently who can compare F&B in the lounge / restaurant relative to what it was 6-12 months ago?

The excellent executive chef Gael Lardière has left Athenee (Luxury Collection) to join Royal Orchid Sheraton. Mr Lardière was key to making Athenee F&B a stand-out including the top notch lounge, but on my latest stay at Athenee I noticed downgrades to food with Mr Lardière gone.

I wonder if there is going to be a noticeable improvement at ROS with Mr Lardière's arrival - it would not surprise me. A highly customer-oriented chap by the way."

I was going to post that I found incredible that Chef Gael went back to the ROSH after so many years. I guess that he is still at the Athenee.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by UASPG
"escape4 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Royal Orchid Sheraton - Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread] - in the Marriott Marriott Bonvoy forum of FlyerTalk Forums.

Has someone stayed here recently who can compare F&B in the lounge / restaurant relative to what it was 6-12 months ago?
The excellent executive chef Gael Lardière has left Athenee (Luxury Collection) to join Royal Orchid Sheraton. Mr Lardière was key to making Athenee F&B a stand-out including the top notch lounge, but on my latest stay at Athenee I noticed downgrades to food with Mr Lardière gone.

I wonder if there is going to be a noticeable improvement at ROS with Mr Lardière's arrival - it would not surprise me. A highly customer-oriented chap by the way."

I was going to post that I found incredible that Chef Gael went back to the ROSH after so many years. I guess that he is still at the Athenee.
I will be arriving tomorrow ROS and staying in a Jr suite.. What should I be looking for ?

Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:14 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Anyone stayed here recently? How was the overall experience and i'm also curious if they still provide ferry service to Iconsiam. thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by xar
Anyone stayed here recently? How was the overall experience and i'm also curious if they still provide ferry service to Iconsiam. thanks!
I was there a couple of weeks ago ( 5 nights). They try hard to upgrade, at least to Junior but more commonly exec suite, for PLTs/TITs ( sometimes it doesn’t happen if they’re running a big conference). I don’t recall missing out on some kind of upgrade ( over 50+ stays)
Lounge is still excellent, breakfast and evening. I don’t bother with the breakfast downstairs ( in lieu of points)...it’s too crowded and not significantly better than the lounge.
I used the boat to the BTS a couple of times; once it went via IconSiam, the other time not ( so I guess it’s dropping off there on request? But I’m not sure how that would work for getting back from IconSiam). In any event, IconSiam is running a shuttle from RiverCity or Siphaya, as well as Taksin, so getting to and from should be very easy, as they’re entirely dependent on river arrivals).

xar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.