Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Orchid Sheraton - Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Royal Orchid Sheraton - Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 8, 19, 12:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: margarita girl
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jan 13, 17, 5:35 am
  #721  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: bay area, ca
Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Posts: 3,128
Ahhh.... 3 yrs... you weren't there in the "golden age".... plats offered an "extra amenity at check in" on a welcome card, fresh squeezed orange juice delivered to the room, some laundry benefit, edible to good breakfast in the restaurant without question, staff who were happy and not demoralized.........
First the extra benefit went, then breakfast got worse, then plats couldn't even HAVE breakfast in the restaurant......
estnet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 17, 2:55 am
  #722  
formerly known as seanthepilot
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Rugao, Jiangsu, China: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, SPG/Marriott_Plat; Accor_Plat
Posts: 6,916
I stayed at this hotel for a decade and breakfast was always available in the restaurant. The last GM put an end to that. I remember me and my guest being asked to put our forks down and leave. And the management at the time couldn't see anything wrong with it.

These days, the hotel is just fine. The staff are great. The rooms ok. And, the view as good as ever.

They still don't have any furniture in the lobby, which made things awkward during the conference there earlier this week.

But, I heard that breakfast will soon be permitted in the restaurant downstairs, again for Platinum members.

I stayed over a dozen times here last year. If Plat breakfast comes back, I'll be moving my business back here again, for sure.
2lovelife is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 17, 7:03 am
  #723  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 275
Originally Posted by 2lovelife View Post
I stayed over a dozen times here last year. If Plat breakfast comes back, I'll be moving my business back here again, for sure.
Why reward a property that evidently doesn't really value you? I would be keeping my business away as a matter of principle.
zzap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 17, 8:55 am
  #724  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Earth ... for now
Programs: UA 1K 2MM * AA Plat. * DL Nobody * Marriott LT Titanium & Ambassador * ICH Spire Amb.* HH Diamond *
Posts: 1,139
Originally Posted by 2lovelife View Post
I stayed at this hotel for a decade and breakfast was always available in the restaurant. The last GM put an end to that. I remember me and my guest being asked to put our forks down and leave. And the management at the time couldn't see anything wrong with it.

These days, the hotel is just fine. The staff are great. The rooms ok. And, the view as good as ever.

They still don't have any furniture in the lobby, which made things awkward during the conference there earlier this week.

But, I heard that breakfast will soon be permitted in the restaurant downstairs, again for Platinum members.

I stayed over a dozen times here last year. If Plat breakfast comes back, I'll be moving my business back here again, for sure.
I don't think that major changes will happen at the ROSH before Marriott is able to reach (or finalize) a deal to sell its shares in this property.

Since Keith Hardie is gone and has not been replaced yet, the HM might be able to take some initiatives to bring back Platinum and repeat guests. One of them could be the breakfast downstairs (which, for what I recall, was not the greatest experience when groups were in the hotel) or things like complimentary pieces of laundry.

She could reach out to them by email to announce the (eventual) improvements.

As far as the lounge is concerned, let's not forget that it is now shared with SPG Amex cardholders. That Starwood deal with Amex certainly does not help to maintain a good level of quality on the 27th floor.

Last edited by UASPG; Jan 14, 17 at 9:06 am
UASPG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 17, 7:33 pm
  #725  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOS/UTH
Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Posts: 11,904
Originally Posted by estnet View Post
... the "golden age".... plats offered ... fresh squeezed orange juice delivered to the room, some laundry benefit, edible to good excellent, both in variety of selections and quality, breakfast in the restaurant without question, staff who were happy and not demoralized.........
Golden age? Sounds like standard operations at SGS to me!!


Originally Posted by 2lovelife View Post
I remember me and my guest being asked to put our forks down and leave. And the management at the time couldn't see anything wrong with it.
Wonder where that manager went to hospitality school. I might have been inclined to reply that I'd be back in half an hour to add my room key to the forks since I wouldn't be needing it any more.


Originally Posted by 2lovelife View Post
If Plat breakfast comes back, I'll be moving my business back here again, for sure.
Originally Posted by zzap View Post
Why reward a property that evidently doesn't really value you? I would be keeping my business away as a matter of principle.
That's the point. 2lovelife is suggesting that the return of the full breakfast, on which he obviously places a high value, would be an indication to him that changes have been made and that the hotel does, once again, value his business.
Dr. HFH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 17, 5:59 pm
  #726  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Earth ... for now
Programs: UA 1K 2MM * AA Plat. * DL Nobody * Marriott LT Titanium & Ambassador * ICH Spire Amb.* HH Diamond *
Posts: 1,139
Apparently, the hotel has finally a new General Manager:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-schlueter-b162608

Last edited by UASPG; Feb 12, 17 at 5:42 am
UASPG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 17, 4:09 pm
  #727  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, SPG/Marriott Platinum
Posts: 251
Stayed here late last month on the final leg of an Asia trip that last several weeks. Upgraded to a very nice suite with 3 large floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Chao Phraya. Absolutely loved the room.

Checkin was at the lounge where we had breakfast as well. Great service, helpful concierge and received the platinum gift of 500 point as well as breakfast.
levistrauss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 17, 1:58 am
  #728  
formerly known as seanthepilot
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Rugao, Jiangsu, China: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, SPG/Marriott_Plat; Accor_Plat
Posts: 6,916
Currently here. My stay has been great!!!!!


http://www.royalorchidsheraton.com/club-benefits
Complimentary afternoon tea is available from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM

However, afternoon tea is now just that, only a cup of tea (or soft drink).


Great work ROS. My favorite SPG hotel in BKK!

Last edited by 2lovelife; Jun 17, 17 at 2:36 am
2lovelife is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 17, 10:26 pm
  #729  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: SFO
Programs: UA1k 2.8mm,AA ex-EXP,Hy Glob, Acc Plt,HH Dia,Onyx Plt,Mar LT Tit,IHG Spi,RR G,BW Dia,FPC Plt
Posts: 2,341
Originally Posted by 2lovelife View Post
Currently here. My stay has been great!!!!!


http://www.royalorchidsheraton.com/club-benefits
Complimentary afternoon tea is available from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM

However, afternoon tea is now just that, only a cup of tea (or soft drink).


Great work ROS. My favorite SPG hotel in BKK!
You mean you didn't get the option of coffee, afternoon snacks, and peanuts?

Good link. Thanks.

So did you get 3 pieces of laundry done? Also is 10:30 pm now a later lounge closing than before?
kevino is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 17, 10:25 am
  #730  
cln
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Europe/SEA
Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Posts: 1,621
Originally Posted by levistrauss View Post

Checkin was at the lounge where we had breakfast as well. Great service, helpful concierge and received the platinum gift of 500 point as well as breakfast.
this is standard, or were u given the choice for bf at restaurant ?
cln is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 17, 10:39 pm
  #731  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 451
I recently stayed here for the first time and found the hotel to be quite value for money (BRG rate of 3200 THB++) considering what I received - upgrade to Executive Suite, 500 points + breakfast at the lounge, 2000 points from BRG and lounge access.

The breakfast was a bit underwhelming though, with limited hot items and the seating area with the best view being out of bounds. The food quality during Evening Cocktails also left a bit more to be desired, but I was genuinely impressed with the quality of the bartending service as well as the cocktails - quite rare (at least to my knowledge) to have a full bar and bartenders in a hotel lounge.

A/C in the room was not strong enough, and I thought rooms did not feel as clean and spotless as other SPG properties in town (i.e. SGS or W), maybe that's a result of the A/C and use of more dust-prone and dark-colored fabrics.

This is also the first hotels in many stays where I actually found the lack of and arrangement of sockets to charge my gadgets annoying. Many sockets have electricity disconnected when I turn off all lights with the Master switch, and I had to trial and error a few times to see which ones are still powered on when the Master switch is turned off. I ended up moving the bedside table to a socket away from the bed to charge my gadgets.
Central90210 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 17, 12:16 am
  #732  
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SNA/LAX
Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Plat Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Posts: 6,009
Originally Posted by cln View Post
this is standard, or were u given the choice for bf at restaurant ?
The option for breakfast by the river has been removed by management years ago. Breakfast at the restaurant was underwhelming as well ...
Kalboz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 17, 1:11 am
  #733  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Monica CA
Programs: UA LT 1K HYDia SPG LT Plat Marriot gld
Posts: 862
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
You mean you didn't get the option of coffee, afternoon snacks, and peanuts?

Good link. Thanks.

So did you get 3 pieces of laundry done? Also is 10:30 pm now a later lounge closing than before?
A friend of mine who is a frequent of the ROS and SPG Plat just confirmed
No more snacks in the afternoon 2-4pm, High Tea time.

Only tea or coffee, soft drinks.

HH has been cut back 530-730pm from 530-8pm

Also laundry benefits are for guests who actually pay for club floor access
not upgraded Platinum guests.
lovtofly3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 17, 2:02 am
  #734  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOS/UTH
Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Posts: 11,904
Originally Posted by Central90210 View Post
... I was genuinely impressed with the quality of the bartending service as well as the cocktails - quite rare (at least to my knowledge) to have a full bar and bartenders in a hotel lounge.
Neither LM nor SGS has a lounge. Instead, the PLT Happy Hour benefit is given in the bar (or, for SGS, in your choice of bars), where you do, indeed, have full bartender service. That's my preference, as you have a much wider choice and can have professionally mixed drinks as opposed to pour from a bottle.


Originally Posted by lovtofly3 View Post
A friend of mine who is a frequent of the ROS and SPG Plat just confirmed
No more snacks in the afternoon 2-4pm, High Tea time.

Only tea or coffee, soft drinks.
So it's not even real "tea" as one might expect in London. It is, quite literally, a cup of tea.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Jun 19, 17 at 7:14 pm
Dr. HFH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 17, 5:51 pm
  #735  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: YQR
Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MP 1K,Bonvoy Tit, LTG
Posts: 1,218
Originally Posted by Central90210 View Post

quite rare (at least to my knowledge) to have a full bar and bartenders in a hotel lounge.
I agree. The only other one I recall is the Westin Lima.
Fizzer is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread