Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis New York City NYC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Concierge email address: [email protected]

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from March 2018 including description of Table 55 at the King Cole Bar:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ular-stay-2408
Print Wikipost

St Regis New York City NYC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 5:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, United Silver
St. Regis NYC - December 2019 Review

The St. Regis New York

Map| 5 Reviews | 60% Recommended

The St. Regis New York

2 East 55th St New York, NY US 10022

The St. Regis NYC - December 2019 Review (9 Photos)

The St. Regis New York

Overall

Was a disappointing stay, but OK for a night or two - wouldn't be interesting for longer than that. Look at nearby Peninsula property instead. Also have heard the Chatwal is appealing as well.

Inconsistent/disappointing service (except for Butler!), unusual room issues and nightly fee even for rewards bookings all don't add up to the usual St. Regis property expectations.

Ratings

Check-In: 2.5/5 - Below Average

Room: 3/5 - Average

Service: 2.5/5 - Below Average

Overall: 3.25/5

Rating Notes:

(5 Point Scale, 1 = Poor, 2 = Below Average, 3 = Average, 4 = Above Average, 5 = Excellent; Ratings take into account normal expectations for a luxury hotel property in the US.)

Check In

Rating: 2.5/5

I flew into LGA airport and arrived to the hotel around 3PM in the afternoon. I listed the arrival time in the reservation online as 3PM in hopes that I'd have a room ready before the hotel's usual check-in time of 4PM. When I arrived to the hotel, there wasn't much going on in the lobby, only a few people. I booked the Superior room on the Marriott app using Bonvoy rewards points for 3 nights (12/23 to 12/26) -- the redemption was 75K each for 1st and 2nd night, and 85K for 3rd night on Christmas. Before check-in, I noticed that the app showed me in a Grand Luxe room (two-room type upgrade from entry-level Superior room; rewards stays can only be booked into the entry-level Superior room). At check-in, the front desk asked if I have stayed before at the hotel (I have once a few months before this stay), and acknowledged my Ambassador Elite status. I tried applying 3 SNAs (Suite Night Awards), which were denied prior to check-in. The front desk agent acknowledged that my SNAs were denied but didn't give a reason as to why; The Marriott app still showed that 5 different suite types were available for sale at time of check-in. When I asked why my SNAs didn't clear, the front desk agent went into the back office and came back with the offer to upgrade me to one of the available suites (the 5th Avenue suite in particular) for an additional $1,000 per night. I declined this offer because I thought it wasn't a good value for me, considering I was originally trying to use 3 of my 10 Suite Night Awards. After I declined this offer, they said that my room wasn't yet available to check-in and told me to leave my things in the lobby and come back when they'd call me. I left my belongings checked with the front desk and they wrote my name and cell phone number on a little post-it. The front desk agent told me he'd call shortly. After walking around 5th Avenue & the neighboring area for about a hour without a phone call, I decided to walk back to the hotel and try my luck in person. By the time I arrived, a long line of guests going back to the elevator area were queued up to speak with either of the two check-in agents to get to their rooms. They promptly gave me keys and I was on my way to the room.

My main disappointment with check-in was the fact that my SNAs were denied without a reason, that even as their published top-tier elite I didn't have a room ready, & that I was offered a cash upgrade to a suite that indicated revenue management gamification (withholding upgrades and devaluing the rewards system entirely).

Don't get me wrong - I'm very appreciative of the double-room type upgrade that came with the acknowledgment of my rewards status, but the differentiation presented between my last stay as a Gold (mid-tier) and now as a Ambassador (highest tier) elite member is negligible. 

Room

Rating: 3/5

The room was very nice and well-appointed - very large, only other luxury room similar to St. Regis room size in NYC is found at the next door Peninsula. Decor was very art deco/glam/old school and really liked it; Furniture was functional and very aesthetically pleasing. Most rooms (except designer suites) stick to a mix of bold cold velour/velvets, mirrors, and gold accents. The rooms also have small control panels (one stationed next to bed and one on the desk) that allow lighting controls and temperature controls, as well as turning on privacy or housekeeping door lights (only lighting worked for me).

The A/C unit showed an error on the control panel saying it had a network fault (didn't work with the smart panels), but still could be controlled manually. The A/C control panel wasn't accurate and was about 3-4 degrees off from actual temperature. Had to set the A/C fan on HIGH and turn it down to 66 degrees to get to desired temperature of 70. (Temperatures in Fahrenheit) 

The bathroom did have significant wear and tear (see photos) & was unusually compact/small (smaller than closet). Whenever you'd take a shower, half of the bathroom floor would be flooded and there were always completely sopping towels on the floor due to this. Water pressure is very high/good, though. Plumbing for the sink had an issue where a high pitch whirring sound would start sporadically. Wallpaper falling off, visible grout/humidity issues, and such can be seen in photos as well. 

The room had two TVs -- Both rooms have a 40" (or so) basic HD Samsung TV with the usual Marriott entertainment software. Watched about 20 min of background TV on the living room TV and shut it off after getting annoyed that the audio sounded muffled and the speakers sounding blown out. Not a big deal as not much time was spent in the room (more things to do in NYC than watch TV).

The room had two phones (one cordless, the other corded) -- the cordless phone's battery was old and needed replacement -- phone call "shut off" as I was speaking. 

Photo of Living Area (photo taken from entryway, wide-angle/fisheye):

IMG_2708.jpg

Photo of Bed area (1st door in back on right is Bathroom, 2nd door closer on right is Closet, wide-angle/fisheye):IMG_4475.jpg

Photo of Entry & Closet areas (wide-angle/fisheye)

2_collage.jpg

Photos of Bathroom issues:

3_collage2 (1) (1).jpg

Service

Rating: 2.5/5

Service didn't seem like a 5-star hotel, more like a normal Marriott. Front desk agents were a bit snobby, and service wasn't detail-oriented by any regard. The property seems to be a bit on the profit-maximizing side of things right now.

The $50 daily fee, which is applied to both paid and rewards bookings, is strange. You can use the fee amount toward a few different options including local museum tickets or F&B credit.

I used the F&B credit for each night - a ginger ale & one fruit plate, final bill was $50.59. Take a look below and see if you think it's worth that:

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 7.35.54 PM.png

Here's a photo of the card I was handed at the front desk to explain use of the $50 nightly fee amount & a letter I received on day of departure offering points in exchange for late check-out:

lettercredit.jpg

The only exception to the less than average service -- the St. Regis butler assigned to my room block, Pavel. Pavel was amazing - I took advantage of the morning tea service twice. Pavel was very friendly and very prompt. His business card also explains that the hotel offers E-Butler service where you can email butlers; Haven't tried it, but seems interesting. 

Depends on which Butler you get if they tell you about the complimentary services - but if they don't tell you, you should know that every stay comes with free coffee/tea service before noon daily, free packing and unpacking services, and free pressing of 2 garments.

Rating: 5/5

Excellent location - right on 5th Avenue. Proximity to shopping, Central Park & Rockefeller is very convenient. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 7.42.51 PM.png

Other Notes

• A few days before my stay, I called the front desk to confirm that the Bentley house car would be available during my stay. The front desk confirmed this and let me know it just came back from service (was in the shop) and would be available. Upon arrival, no Bentley. Asked doorman, said if house car was there... and then he told me the Bentley was still in the shop. They advertise the Bentley house car everywhere, and the front desk wasn't informed well.
  • Front desk check-in area seemed very overwhelmed during usual check-in times. Agents were hurried.
  • Christmas/Holiday decorations in lobby were very nice, had gingerbread house and lights up/trees above the check-in area. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 7.55.52 PM.png

• The front desk says tips are included with breakfast benefit at Astor Court; Not true - be sure to tip waitstaff out of pocket. Gratuity is only included for in-room dining.
  • 22% Mandatory Gratuity for in-room dining + $8 mandatory service fee

Here's the drycleaning/pressing price list:

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 7.52.57 PM.png

The St. Regis NYC - December 2019 Review

Would you like to write a review on the The St. Regis New York?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Posted a full review about this property here if you're interested:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/expe...l#post31881913
jaejaez, Pandra and levilevi like this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:22 am

Staying here over NYE for 2 nights, staying on points, what's the chances of getting upgraded? I'm Plat Elite, should I message ahead or just ask at check in? Also how does breakfast work here? is it part of the 50$ or its separate?
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Greg Malyshev
Staying here over NYE for 2 nights, staying on points, what's the chances of getting upgraded? I'm Plat Elite, should I message ahead or just ask at check in? Also how does breakfast work here? is it part of the 50$ or its separate?
SNA rarely clear. If you asking about complimentary upgrades? Over NYE? Near zero chance.

50 EUR credit can be used for pretty much anything, incl. breakfast if you'd like something nicer. The BF benefit is a dollar-off benefit and you can combine the two.
goldtiger likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Greg Malyshev
Originally Posted by cfischer
SNA rarely clear. If you asking about complimentary upgrades? Over NYE? Near zero chance.

50 EUR credit can be used for pretty much anything, incl. breakfast if you'd like something nicer. The BF benefit is a dollar-off benefit and you can combine the two.
Like cfischer said, from my recent stay over the Christmas holiday (Dec 23-26), Suite Night Awards rarely clear - mine was outright denied without reason even when suites were available for sale (as an Ambassador Elite).

As far as upgrades, there is a slight chance you'll get a one-room type bump from Superior to a slightly bigger room - assuming that the property isn't sold out. For NYE, I'm assuming the place will be at a high occupancy, and they'll give out these upgrades to higher tiers first (many of the people staying at StR NYC are either Titanium or Ambassador Elites). There is a high probability that they'll try giving you an "offer" to upgrade to a better room for a cash co-pay.

As far as asking beforehand, I'd just wait until check-in. If you check the app before check-in, it'll show what room they're going to put you in -- it's a way to check to see if you're "pre-upgraded"... if you call or message before check-in, they might get confused and reverse this "pre-upgrade" if that makes sense.

Quick note - as far as I know, the $50 credit is in USD (local hotel currency), not EUR. It's a nightly fee credit so be sure to use it up on the day you check-in, as well as every day of your stay, except for the check-out day (doesn't apply on last day of stay). Best redemption of this credit is the F&B credit in my opinion. You can look at my recent review of the property here which has a picture of the card explaining what you can use this fee credit towards.

The breakfast benefit is completely separate from the $50 fee credit. Breakfast benefit is 2 American breakfasts (roughly worth $110) - from what a waiter explained to me, you can order items that add up to the same cost of 2 American breakfasts if you want to select other things. Also note that gratuity is not included in breakfast benefit when dining in the breakfast room (called Astor Court), but it is included when ordering breakfast as in-room dining.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by goldtiger; Dec 29, 2019 at 11:04 am Reason: more info
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by goldtiger
Quick note - as far as I know, the $50 credit is in USD (local hotel currency), not EUR. It's a nightly fee credit so be sure to use it up on the day you check-in, as well as every day of your stay, except for the check-out day (doesn't apply on last day of stay). Best redemption of this credit is the F&B credit in my opinion.
It seems from the wording of your post that you may not have realized that the $50 fee is not just a $50 credit... it covers $50 F&B and $50 laundry and museum tickets and salon credit, each night. You don't have to choose.
goldtiger likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
It seems from the wording of your post that you may not have realized that the $50 fee is not just a $50 credit... it covers $50 F&B and $50 laundry and museum tickets and salon credit, each night. You don't have to choose.
Thank you for pointing this out... I feel incredibly stupid.
Every time the front desk does the spiel about the benefits, they always point out it's "just one of them" per night. I just saw the tiny font saying "all are included", and called the hotel to confirm that.

Adds a bit more value to the fee for sure!!
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:55 am

Looks like they've recently opened up the ability to book suites with points!
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:22 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by goldtiger
Looks like they've recently opened up the ability to book suites with points!
For how many nights were your stays for?

Wish the had cash plus points for suites as well.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam
For how many nights were your stays for?

Wish the had cash plus points for suites as well.
I tested both a stay for 5 nights in March and a stay for 2 nights in April, both showed points availability for suites.
Yeah I also wish they had cash+points, but at least they're now offering the points option... was not a thing two months ago.
Point redemption amounts are ridiculous (StR NYC is a Cat8), but at least it's a step in the right direction?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I don't believe what goldtiger said about the gratuity in Astor Court for the elite breakfast benefit is accurate. As I am also one to make sure that staff are taken care of I asked three times about this (see my previous review). The front desk, the restaurant manager and our server who we had for five breakfasts all said the gratuity is included in the breakfast benefit. The server explained to me that they have a list of room numbers receiving the breakfast benefit and if one is on the list the server gets his/her gratuity. I don't question he was told no by his server, but based on my information it is not the case. Regarding SNAs it is definitely hit/miss, but at the beginning of November our SNA cleared five days in advance and we had a lovely suite on an award stay.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by taxare
I don't believe what goldtiger said about the gratuity in Astor Court for the elite breakfast benefit is accurate. As I am also one to make sure that staff are taken care of I asked three times about this (see my previous review). The front desk, the restaurant manager and our server who we had for five breakfasts all said the gratuity is included in the breakfast benefit. The server explained to me that they have a list of room numbers receiving the breakfast benefit and if one is on the list the server gets his/her gratuity. I don't question he was told no by his server, but based on my information it is not the case. Regarding SNAs it is definitely hit/miss, but at the beginning of November our SNA cleared five days in advance and we had a lovely suite on an award stay.
Thanks for bringing up the gratuity at Astor Court, I naturally also want to make sure that staff are tipped appropriately and taken care of...

Based on my few nights stay in December, I was told “no” by the one waiter I had on the first day I went to Astor Court for breakfast. I didn’t follow up on it or ask again after that and probably should have, but between that and reading posts by brubin and Christianj last October/November with similar experiences, I thought that was the case. Interesting to hear about the list situation... thanks for sharing. Sorry for any confusion, it may have just been that the waiter misunderstood or something, no clue.

I’m glad to hear about your SNA experience... I’m guessing my stay was particularly “unlucky” because of the busy holiday season. I didn’t have any SNAs otherwise last year for the few weekend trips I did at StR NYC, but I’m hoping to see how my SNA redemptions work for the few weekend trips I do later this year.

I’ll be sure to update on my next stay.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
The property is reportedly closed through April 2021.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by svo242
The property is reportedly closed through April 2021.
That's a long time. If the St Regis can't even sell enough rooms to stay open, that speaks volumes about how dire the hotel situation in Manhattan is.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 5:15 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
That's a long time. If the St Regis can't even sell enough rooms to stay open, that speaks volumes about how dire the hotel situation in Manhattan is.
There is very little tourism or business travel in New York right now. This is why I kind of chuckle when people demand luxury service and elite recognition at a lot of these properties - the level of demand simply doesn’t support it. April 2021 seems about right for things to start thawing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.