Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood Vienna: which one? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Vienna: which one? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was this before or after the room renovations at the Bristol? From your comments, I would guess before the rooms were redone in a major way.
My last stay at the Bristol was in April/May this year. I don't know exactly how many rooms have been redone since. However, the website is still today showing mostly pictures of unrenovated rooms, with the exception of the Grand Deluxe category. My penthouse junior suite was pretty much exactly as pictured, although it feels much less light-filled and airy in reality.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I was there, I understood staff to say that all but (most of) the base level rooms had already been renovated. I was given a renovated room which was very nicely done and had preserved some of the original features.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:50 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Okay I've done a little more research and have it done to this:
Le Meridien Vienna JR Suite
Hotel Bristol PEnthous JR. Suite
Hotel Imperial Jr. Suite (extra 30K)
As a gold; any thoughts?

Things I like are separate soaking tub, coffee easily accessible (in room)... I think the LM would solve that right? Is there more potential upside at the Bristol though? They are offering an upgrade to suite for 360 euros right now; I'ld be willing to roll the dice and see what the charge is at check in....

FDW
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:07 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I'm still planning. So the consensus seemed to be, Bratislava is off the books. Any other property I should visit with max 2h travel time from Vienna?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:22 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Just to throw in my 2 cents - stayed at all of them many times, and I've now resorted to staying at the LM by default. I just prefer modern rooms and amenities. The Imperial and Bristol are fun once as a novelty, but after that, I quickly get bored of the grandeur. I prefer the more minimalistic and modern hotels, so LM does it for me. Service at LM is fantastic too, as is the bar and dining area when they have their monthly club night on!

Remy - re Bratislava, I'd personally disagree with others and go for it. It's such a short ride away, and such an interesting town. The room I was given at the Sheraton there was incredible, and all for around €80 or so a night. I'd definitely venture out there. You can easily do the core Vienna tourist things in 2 or 3 days, leaving 1 or 2 for Bratislava. If you don't get to that part of the world often, definitely take in Bratislava!

On an OT point - I have dined and drunk at Palais Coburg in Vienna, and I just love that place. I have sadly never managed to stay there, being a blindly loyal SPG junkie - but for anyone less inclined, please do check it out and let me know what you think. It looks truly amazing - more so than Imperial or Bristol.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by remymartin
I'm still planning. So the consensus seemed to be, Bratislava is off the books. Any other property I should visit with max 2h travel time from Vienna?
Have you even been to Salzburg? It's a couple hours by freequent train from Vienna with very nice scenery, but you probably can't get a hotel room during the music festival. Goldener Hirsch is right in the historic center. Unless you have a car and time, don't try for the hotel(s) out along the lake.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:02 am

Thanks JK, I guess Bratislava is back on the list to save some dosh

Have you even been to Salzburg? It's a couple hours by freequent train from Vienna with very nice scenery, but you probably can't get a hotel room during the music festival. Goldener Hirsch is right in the historic center. Unless you have a car and time, don't try for the hotel(s) out along the lake.
I haven't seen Salzburg either. Infact, I've managed to skip Austria altogether. As it happens I'm going to VIE during the music festival - which is 7 weeks long. Only Goldener Hirsch was available for the nights I was looking at, and it's bordering 600€/nt. I'll pass
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by remymartin
Thanks JK, I guess Bratislava is back on the list to save some dosh

I haven't seen Salzburg either. Infact, I've managed to skip Austria altogether. As it happens I'm going to VIE during the music festival - which is 7 weeks long. Only Goldener Hirsch was available for the nights I was looking at, and it's bordering 600€/nt. I'll pass
You could always day trip to Salzburg. Salzburg is a very nice little town.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
You could always day trip to Salzburg. Salzburg is a very nice little town.
Yes but you want an evening there too.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes but you want an evening there too.
I agree!

A great use of points during the music festival- I have been able to grab rooms more than once this way and it is phenomenal value as opposed to 600-700 EUR rates.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:39 am

I stayed at all three properties recently for a special getaway. Here's a brief summary:

Hotel Bristol (Opera Suite)
+ most scenic location, especially if you have the view of the opera
+ most charming room (for me personally)
+ nice art in room
+ Bristol bar allows smoking
+ good breakfast with Austrian sparkling wine
+ nice terrace bar Le Moët with good snacks
- the room had some charming wear and tear
- the bed was not that comfortable - quite on the hard side
- final touches to the main entrance and hallway were still underway

Hotel Imperial (Elisabeth Suite)
+ fantastic room with subpar view
+ butler service really made our stay
+ good breakfast with Laurent-Pérrier champagne (and Austrian "Imperial" sparkling wine - good stuff, I might add)
+ stunning bar
+ stunning facilities
+ nice bathroom with both shower and tub
+ nice art in room
o location is good, but not as good as the other two properties
o renovations finally ended this weekend

Le Méridien (Executive suite - red one)
+ modern hotel next to the Hofburg palace complex
+ good views
+ the room came with a balcony
+ small indoor pool and jacuzzi
+ nicest bathroom with tub and good shower
+ best bed
o very nice room layout
- infrared sauna was pretty bad
- steam room didn't work properly - reported
- weakest breakfast - nice-looking spread but did not deliver. Frozen mango

Overall all 3 are very solid properties. The two Cat6 properties mentioned above were IMO superiour to Le Méridien. This comes down to personal taste as old world charm is not for everyone.

Last edited by remymartin; Aug 12, 2014 at 4:01 am
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:40 am

Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:31 pm

Did you use SNAs? And were these the standard suites for SNAs or Plat upgrades into select standard suites?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:49 am

Did you use SNAs? And were these the standard suites for SNAs or Plat upgrades into select standard suites?
I used SNAs for all 3 stays. From what I skimmed through the Opera Suite is not a standard suite, can't say for sure about the other rooms. No further upgrades were provided from selected SNA room.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:32 am

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium, not much else anymore
Hotel Imperial

Stayed 2 nights at the hotel imperial this past weekend for a solo getaway while on business.

Used an SNA and got upgraded to an Elisabeth Suite, a few days before arrival I asked my ambassador to see if they could bump me up further. I ended up in a (the? not sure how many there are) Imperial Suite... and it's one of the nicest rooms I've had in over 500 nights w/ SPG. Very old school, nothing modern about it, which is exactly what I wanted for 36 hours in Vienna.

Based on this thread, I went into the stay not expecting any special treatment (not that I normally do, but I was prepared for a 'cold' reception), but was pleasantly surprised at how nice and helpful all of the staff were. I didn't have, nor request or inquire about a butler service... I was more than happy with the room.

edit: the torts were awesome, also had a big fruit basket that was a nice touch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.