Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:42 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
It is only 10k points per night to upgrade to a suite.
Isn't it a cat 5, so 12-16k per night extra to upgrade to a suite?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
It is only 10k points per night to upgrade to a suite.
I don't have any points ! I feel like the only person on this forum who doesn't travel regularly, racking up lots of points
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by ashley1245
This will be a problem. I stayed in a Castle View deluxe room in October 2012 during my honeymoon. The bathroom is only separated from the bed by a very sleek and modern glass door. The toilet is also only separated by a glass door. Without being too graphic, there was no privacy. Also, the toilet and hallway shared one glass door that swung in two directions. It was weird and acoustically revealing.
Maybe a bit 'TMI', but for those who really want to know about these glass doors ....

Bathroom, taken from the bedroom :

WC cubicle :

Both are full-height and fit the frame, and have the central panel opaque.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:53 am

from a recent stay, some typical club lounge food :

Evening :

various canapés, popcorn, pizza slices, lamb koftas, poppadoms and chutney, with a nice ice cold g&t, all beautifully presented.

there was also various cheeses, crackers and oatcakes and fruit.

Breakfast :

smoked salmon, poached pork loin, Lorne sausage and granary bread, yoghurt with granola topping.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
I've submitted a C+P booking for this hotel for an upcoming stay in September, although I generally stay Hilton (Gold), I've loved all the SPG properties I've stayed at, despite having any status (besides the credit card...which doesn't mean much). I'm debating between this property and the Hilton/W=A Caledonian. I break down the numbers for this decision in this post.

My wife and I are fairly low-key, but do enjoy a nice property every now and then. This will be a 3-night stay sandwiched between 9 nights in London and 3 nights in Paris, so I'm sure some pampering would be appreciated. I feel like this property would be the better value of the two, but having stayed in neither, it's hard to be objective. Thanks for any advice!
Old May 1, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
Anyone had luck recently getting this hotel to accommodate extra kids in the room? We have two to go with two adults. I have suite night awards but platinum line rep says that still won't help and that they won't call hotel to help anymore. That used to work at a lot of places that wouldn't accept more than two people.
Otherwise it will be IHG, since they seem to be the best points-available chain for families in Europe.
Old May 1, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by DesertRat
Anyone had luck recently getting this hotel to accommodate extra kids in the room?
Yes, but I didn't feel the need to announce that fact to the hotel.
Old May 26, 2015, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
It's been quiet here for I while.

I'll stay at this property next month - anything to be aware of? (SPG Plat)
Old May 30, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
I had a great recent stay here and would recommend this hotel.

Positives
- Hotel is very conveniently located with respect to tourist sites - easy walk to Edinburgh Castle and Royal Mile, walkable to train station, etc
- Very modern hotel and upscale feel to the room decor (e.g., hardwood floors, track lighting, etc). I particularly loved the colored light in the bathroom - you could vary which lights were on in the bathroom and make the accent light one of 10 different colors. I liked showering with just the accent light on in the morning, it was pleasant to wake up to
- I think I got an upgrade to a "Deluxe" room on the Club level but not a suite. May be because I requested 2 beds, nonetheless, I was happy with my room
- The Club Lounge is OUTSTANDING. The breakfast is good but the evening lounge hours are exceptional. They have extensive food options - several hot appetizers and numerous cold options. And the drink selection is literally anything you want. The staff made me several high quality Bloody Marys each night. Though you do have to request alcohol from a staff member (not self serve) but the staff are great - really friendly, helpful, and efficient. One night we were there the club was packed - literally not one seat left, but the staff still kept everyone's drinks filled. There was a wide selection of spirits and I think 5 types of wine (2 whites, 2 reds, 1 rose) and beer to choose from as well. Club was open outside of cocktail hours to pick up sodas / water. The Club lounge has a nice modern, Scottish decor with good music, so it actually feels like a "social outing" to go and have a few drinks - very valuable to me

Negatives
- The bathroom issue was sub-optimal. It is not enough of an issue to stay somewhere else, but there is not a typical, solid wooden door between the bathroom and the bedroom. The door is frosted glass but it as not as private as most hotel rooms.
- I think the positives outweigh this one issue unless you are in a situation where you are staying with a co-worker or something similar, in that case, I think the bathroom would be awkward
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:38 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes, but I didn't feel the need to announce that fact to the hotel.
I didn't think you had any kids.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schley
I didn't think you had any kids.
Hah. I've got kids all over the planet. Or it seems like that sometimes.

But if you're referring to The Open event, I was referring to another stay.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:11 am

EDI to Sheraton

Ending our trip at the Sherston Edinburgh, any recommendations on keeping the rental car or taking public transport from airport to hotel?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doctor
Ending our trip at the Sherston Edinburgh, any recommendations on keeping the rental car or taking public transport from airport to hotel?
It's a long and relatively expensive taxi ride so I'd probably keep the car. But of course it depends on what you are going to visit. Also you could drive to the hotel and empty out the car and then return it to one of the city locations, assuming you are using one of the name brand agencies such as Hertz, Avis, etc. Then walk back to the hotel.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by doctor
I think the answer depends on whether on how much luggage you have, and whether you would use the car again once you've reached the Sheraton. Personally, if I didn't have further use for the car, I'd leave it at the airport and save parking charges and the hassle of driving in Edinburgh.

I've normally taken the Airport bus service into the city from the airport, but on the last visit I used the new tram service. Alight at the 'West End - Princes Street' stop and the Sheraton is only 5 minutes walk from there along Canning Street.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:28 am

Thank you, appreciate the responses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.