Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Camelback Inn, A JW Marriott Resort & Spa, Scottsdale [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Camelback Inn, A JW Marriott Resort & Spa, Scottsdale [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 4:43 pm

There's no shop close by. We stopped on the way from the airport and bought some water bottles.

They do not offer breakfast for Plats. However, they do either reduce the resort fee to $15 or completely waive it. Customer's choice.

Also, we got upgraded from Standard Room to Sun Deck Room. Can only recommend it. Room 369 offers fantastic views of Camelback mountain and the resort.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by OU812
I have a conference coming up in San Antonio at the JW Marriott Hill Country Resort and was informed after making my reservation that the resort has a mandatory $28 per night resort fee covering high speed internet (get that anyway as a plat), access to the spa (won't be able to access the spa, as I will be in the conference from 8:00am to 6:00pm), and preferred golf tee times (I don't play golf). Since the room rate before the resort charge is above the allowable hotel per diem in the area, I am already paying money out of mine own pocket to stay there. I am hoping to argue to get the resort fee removed, but I am not sure how successful I'll be. Any advice?

Regards,

RIP...
I've gotten out of resort fees at Camelback (Scottsdale) and the Ritz/Marana (Tuscon). I think you may be able to in some (though perhaps not all) instances. In one instance I mentioned at check-in that I didn't want any of the amenities associated with the fee (and was prepared to give them up) and in the other, I called up after getting to my room and essentially said the same thing. I was prepared to pay it if need be in both instances, but was happy to get it removed (and happy to self-park, for example, at the Ritz)...But, YMMV...
Old Sep 8, 2012, 4:19 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by dcchi
I've gotten out of resort fees at Camelback (Scottsdale) and the Ritz/Marana (Tuscon). I think you may be able to in some (though perhaps not all) instances. In one instance I mentioned at check-in that I didn't want any of the amenities associated with the fee (and was prepared to give them up) and in the other, I called up after getting to my room and essentially said the same thing. I was prepared to pay it if need be in both instances, but was happy to get it removed (and happy to self-park, for example, at the Ritz)...But, YMMV...
I never asked for it to be removed at the Camelback during my stay in July...and they never charged one to my folio either.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Trip Report 1st to 6th September

Hi,

I had a great time at the Camelback inn.
I got the room for $164 including a $75 resort credit.

I arrived at the hotel at 1040pm ( my flight london to phoenix was delayed 4 hours leaving LHR) but had stopped on the way to the hotel to pick up water/soda.

Check in was done quickly ( no one in line) and the bell desk took me to my room (200).
Room 200 is at the end of a semi circle of casitas with the patio overlooking the inside of the circle- so you could see the other patios but in my 5 days there I only saw other people twice.
There was a soda/ice machine a couple of doors down and a guest laundry just across the road.
The room was very nice ( pentagonal in shape) with the only slight complaint that you could not watch the tv easily apart from on the bed ( ie no sofa juat a couple of chairs with foot stools as well as the traditional table chairs)
It was about a 5 min walk to the lobby/restaurants which you could get to in two ways ( via the road or take the path through the casitas ,past the swimming pool and through the gardens to the lobby area.

I had the breakfast buffet at Rita's kitchen ( $23 for the full buffet) and it was very good.
Lunch and dinner were good also good- burgers were $15 ,tacos were about $12 and the deserts were very good ( about $8). Service was very good.

They did have a starbucks on site ( closed about 2pm but Wed-Sunday it stayed open to 4)
The lobby was impressive and they had flavoured iced water which was very good.
The pool was fine ( busy for labor day weekend but then quietened down mid week)- for the size of the resort I felt another pool might be interesting.
The " Western town" was interesting to look at and went up the trail at the base of mummy mountain which offerred nice views of Camelback mountain.
I did not find the a/c to bother me at all ( I liked the fan in the room) and the room fridge was a good size. There was lots of storage space also.

The gift shop was good ( although one day they ran out of the Arizona republic at 8am!- I got the last one.

The pc's at the Conicerge area ( 2 pc's) were free if a little slow.

The free fitness centre ( by the Jackrabbit pool was a bit small but adequate)- I chose not to use the one up in the spa for $35per day.

I did two tours whilst at the Camelback, the city tour and a tour to the Apache Trail- very impressive)

The service was very good. I liked the personal wake up call that you set up by dialling " At your service" the night before. At the appointed time an operator calls you by name and give you the current temperature. Makes a nice change from the automatic calls at other hotels. After a couple of meals at Rita's Kitchen the staff recognised me from earlier visits ( a lot of staff had a couple of days off half way through my stay as I saw them Saturday-Sunday and did not see them Monday -Tuesday but they were back on Wednesday.

The flavoured water changed from day to day ( one day orange slices in the water jug ,the next day lemons, the next day cucumber and the next day strawberries).

The in room coffee was pretty good IMHO ( " Earth blend" IIRC)

The R bar had a happy hour from 3-6 with reasonably priced appetisers ( and a very nice raspberry/mango sorbet for $4)

Overall a very nice stay but I probably would not spend that much more on the room rate than I did ( last week the price would have doubled to $320 per night)

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Sep 23, 2012 at 11:45 am
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Thanks TBS for your review! I guess you don't get any elite perks since it's a resort?

Did you get your resort fee waived?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Overall a very nice stay but I probably would not spend that much more on the room rate than I did ( last week the price would have doubled to $320 per night)
Thanks for your review. Largely in line with my experiences there. Two other positives in my book are the spa and the room service, both of which I find superb when vacationing with the wife. What was the high temperature, on average, for the days of your visit? My favorite months are March and (early) November, when I find it most pleasant.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the updated trip report! Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

As only a Marriott Silver I did not notice any benefits and did not get the resort fee waived ( not that I was expecting to).

As to the temperature the high's were in the low 100's with lows in the 80's.
There was one afternoon with a rain shower ( 15-20mins) but I was in the gym so did not mind it.

The first couple of days felt more humid than previous visits ( done in October) which was not surprising as it was still the monsoon season at that time and I was sweating a little bit by the time I got to Rita's kitchen for breakfast after walking round the resort with my DSLR. After those couple of days the humidity fell and felt better ( also maybe I got used to it!)

It was still warm at 10pm after a late night dip after visiting the gym and so it was nice to get out of the pool without feeling cold . There was also very little wind.

Bottles of soda in the shop were about $2.50 ( $4 in the room minibar)

I loved the outdoor art sculptures, the small chapel by the bell desk and the rotating flower pot with the kaleidoscope by the outdoor sculpture just up from the bell desk.

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Sep 23, 2012 at 11:21 am
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nacho
Did you get your resort fee waived?
I was there a year ago and got the resort fee waived as a MR Plat.

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
for the size of the resort I felt another pool might be interesting.

The free fitness centre ( by the Jackrabbit pool was a bit small but adequate)- I chose not to use the one up in the spa for $35per day.
They have a second pool at the spa. I also got that fee waived when I was there a year ago.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 6:05 pm
Used to be HSDebateCoach

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat, MR Plat Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle
Gender/Age profiling of elites

Staying at the JW Camelback and during check in yesterday watched the Platinum next to me get thanked for using his points to stay and was given a gift bag. He was also given an upgrade without asking.

I am also staying on points. Also a Platinum (well PP). I got no such warm welcome. I had to ask if there were larger rooms available. There were. I had not been upgraded prior to arriving nor upon arrival.

It was the first stay at the property for both of us.

The difference? He was a gentleman in his 50s and I am a female in my early 30s.

This isn't the first time I have witnessed a difference of treatment and frankly it is frustrating. I know it's not the case everywhere and I know switching brands doesn't change this. But as someone who tips well for good service, I feel like I have gotten to save some cash watching these comparisons and been frustrated at the difference in treatment.

Also just needed an outlet to vent where someone might understand.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
your problem may have nothing to do with your gender/age, but as repeatedly reported that FD agents at all props just do not know what PPs are/mean (status wise).............

Originally Posted by HSDebateCoach
Staying at the JW Camelback and during check in yesterday watched the Platinum next to me get thanked for using his points to stay and was given a gift bag. He was also given an upgrade without asking.

I am also staying on points. Also a Platinum (well PP). I got no such warm welcome. I had to ask if there were larger rooms available. There were. I had not been upgraded prior to arriving nor upon arrival.

It was the first stay at the property for both of us.

The difference? He was a gentleman in his 50s and I am a female in my early 30s.

This isn't the first time I have witnessed a difference of treatment and frankly it is frustrating. I know it's not the case everywhere and I know switching brands doesn't change this. But as someone who tips well for good service, I feel like I have gotten to save some cash watching these comparisons and been frustrated at the difference in treatment.

Also just needed an outlet to vent where someone might understand.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 6:47 pm

yup. totally the wrong reason. I am sure the guy emailed the GM like 20 times, emailed the virtual concierge 20 times, called the hotel 20 times to see if he could use their lounge for free, and will complain once he leaves to get some points. I can bet he also had one of those FT tags on his bag too. : ) hehe
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:36 pm
Used to be HSDebateCoach

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat, MR Plat Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by libuser
yup. totally the wrong reason. I am sure the guy emailed the GM like 20 times, emailed the virtual concierge 20 times, called the hotel 20 times to see if he could use their lounge for free, and will complain once he leaves to get some points. I can bet he also had one of those FT tags on his bag too. : ) hehe
Hmmm maybe I should have brought my luggage tag!

You and BKKLEE are both probably right, I am just frustrated watching people get better treatment and it's not because they are frequent guests or have higher status and age/gender is the noticeable difference.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by HSDebateCoach
Hmmm maybe I should have brought my luggage tag!

You and BKKLEE are both probably right, I am just frustrated watching people get better treatment and it's not because they are frequent guests or have higher status and age/gender is the noticeable difference.
I don't think it has anything to do with gender--I've noticed the same thing as a male since I became PP. It could be age--usually front desk staff don't expect someone like me to be PP. Usually once I get to know the front desk staff, they are happy to help me.

Merry Christmas....here's to plentiful PP upgrades in 2013!
Old Apr 8, 2013, 2:39 pm
Used to be hamajicky

I just stayed there one night using points on April 5 (i'm a lowly silver). While I loved the property, they gave us a dumpy 1980's era room with absolutely no view. The air conditioner also made loud clicking noises all night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.