Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Camelback Inn, A JW Marriott Resort & Spa, Scottsdale [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2005, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante

There are very few comments about experiences at Camelback -- anyone have anything to add? Any experiences with elite upgrades?

We stayed at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa the last time we were in town and enjoyed it, but are tossed up between there and Camelback for our forthcoming trip.

My read is that Camelback is more low-key and adult-oriented (not that way ), and that Desert Ridge is better for outdoor fun (pools, lazy river, etc.)

Any comments would be appreciated...
Old Jun 4, 2005, 10:00 am

Programs: Starwood Hotels, Alaska Air, Delta/Northwest Air
Camelback is an older property, but generally rated higher (it's 5 diamond while Desert Ridge is 4 diamond). You'll generally find old money at Camelback, while Desert Ridge tends to be young money. Camelback is also more spread out, so even when the hotel is full it won't feel as busy as the D.R. (the largest hotel in the state). I personally prefer the restaurant options at D.R., with my favorites being Meritage Steakhouse for lunch and either Roy's or Tuscany for dinner. The pools at DR at much nicer, but also tend to be more full with kids.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 4:14 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by PHXMike
Camelback is an older property, but generally rated higher (it's 5 diamond while Desert Ridge is 4 diamond). You'll generally find old money at Camelback, while Desert Ridge tends to be young money. Camelback is also more spread out, so even when the hotel is full it won't feel as busy as the D.R. (the largest hotel in the state). I personally prefer the restaurant options at D.R., with my favorites being Meritage Steakhouse for lunch and either Roy's or Tuscany for dinner. The pools at DR at much nicer, but also tend to be more full with kids.
Was recently at DR as a PLT Premier, and was, frankly, appalled at the horrible service. Will not return there ever.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Was recently at DR as a PLT Premier, and was, frankly, appalled at the horrible service. Will not return there ever.
Wow. I'm really surprised by that. I've never heard ANYONE complain about the service at this hotel. Even on TripAdvisor, I've yet to see anyone say this. I'm anxious to hear what happened.........
Old Jun 4, 2005, 5:08 pm

Been there 3 times on business meetings. Great spa, nice meeting facilities and never feels crowded. Love the toiletries, rooms are very spacious, twice have had an upper level with roof access. Excellent food at meeting - never went to the restaurants. Nice plantings and well kept, beautiful views of the surrounding mountains. Hookey but cute little "Western Town" at end of resort for socials. I liked taking the easy hike up the hill and looking out over the surrounding mountains and valley.
What I prefer however is lighter looking decor, don't care for the dark wood and fabrics. Roof top was great for relaxing but furniture was just a few chairs and a small table set on a large tar area - sad looking and not what might be a pleasant amenity.
Nice place for a meeting but I would not pay for this myself
Old Jun 4, 2005, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Been there 3 times on business meetings. Great spa, nice meeting facilities and never feels crowded. Love the toiletries, rooms are very spacious, twice have had an upper level with roof access. Excellent food at meeting - never went to the restaurants. Nice plantings and well kept, beautiful views of the surrounding mountains. Hookey but cute little "Western Town" at end of resort for socials. I liked taking the easy hike up the hill and looking out over the surrounding mountains and valley.
What I prefer however is lighter looking decor, don't care for the dark wood and fabrics. Roof top was great for relaxing but furniture was just a few chairs and a small table set on a large tar area - sad looking and not what might be a pleasant amenity.
Nice place for a meeting but I would not pay for this myself
I'm assuming you're talking about the J.W. Camelback?
Old Jun 6, 2005, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Probably the best Marriott property that I will ever have the pleasure of using, particularly at the then-current government rate of $59/nt (summer). The service was fantastic, the rooms were huge, the pool was wonderful, I can't think of anything negative which is pretty unusual for me. Maybe the walk from my room to the car...
Old Jun 6, 2005, 9:35 pm

They have about six or so stand-alone casitas with a private pool. As a Platinum, I got upgraded to one of them. And, they are outstanding.

Next time, I got a regular casitas (not bad either).
Old Jun 7, 2005, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Fantastic property, friendly people and cool casitas. We stayed there on a timeshare visit at DR.

Be sure to order the strawberry shortcake from room service. Very yummy.

Mike
Old Jun 9, 2005, 3:08 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton-Lifetime Diamond, WN-Companion Pass, National-EE
April 2005 visit

Originally Posted by snorkmaster
There are very few comments about experiences at Camelback -- anyone have anything to add? Any experiences with elite upgrades?

We stayed at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa the last time we were in town and enjoyed it, but are tossed up between there and Camelback for our forthcoming trip.

My read is that Camelback is more low-key and adult-oriented (not that way ), and that Desert Ridge is better for outdoor fun (pools, lazy river, etc.)

My wife and I are local to the property and decided to make a weekend getaway for our anniversary in April this year. I have been to the property a number of times for business meetings and have always been pleased. We didn't take advantage of the restaurants, as we had our 6 month old in tow. However we did each take a couple spa treatments in over the weekend and enjoyed a lot of time near the pool. They didn't automatically upgrade me based on my plat status, but on request they did so with a smile. (Attitude is everything). They also were very accomodating with providing an early check in so junior could get his morning nap (checked in at 11:00 a.m. on a Saturday!!!)

The resort is set against some hills and there are a number of beautiful gardens and walking trails on and around the property. Also the golf course is fairly nice for a resort course. Personally I'd rather hit some of the other links in town, but if you are staying at this property then the course is convenient and you won't be disapointed.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Well, JW Desert Ridge it is.

I was able to get an incredible rate using www.aavacations.com, and then submitted a best rate guarantee to Marriott...it came out to $64 a night + tax!!!

I had to pass up the 3K miles that was offered with the AA package to get the discount, but who cares!

(FYI - a similar rate was available at Camelback...we just decided to go the Desert Ridge because we decided we were in more of a "summer fun" mood... http://aav7.aavacations.com/specials...02Marriott.asp)

Last edited by snorkmaster; Jun 9, 2005 at 1:29 pm
Old Jun 10, 2005, 5:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Could anyone comment on parking prices at Camelback and Desert Ridge? What is the price of the breakfast buffet at both places and are there Breakfast-included-rates available?
Old Jun 10, 2005, 5:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I was able to get an incredible rate using www.aavacations.com, and then submitted a best rate guarantee to Marriott...it came out to $64 a night + tax!!!
Will this rate also work when there are 3 people in the room? And by the way: Those 64$ + tax is it per person or per room??
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

I presume you could book a 3 person rate through marriott.com, and then find the better rate through aavacations.com for best rate guarantee purpsoes.

The rate is per room.

Originally Posted by Muerz
Will this rate also work when there are 3 people in the room? And by the way: Those 64$ + tax is it per person or per room??
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:49 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold

a most wonderful place...

we have stayed there several times over the past few years.

One thing we have noticed is the restaurant has the same staff year after year...always a good sign when the hotel holds onto gooid people.

it is very quiet too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.