Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin DFW Dallas-Fort Worth [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin DFW Dallas-Fort Worth [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2011, 4:20 pm

Is there a courtesy phone in arrivals to call the hotel for shuttle pick-up?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:26 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Stayed here even though my meeting was near downtown Dallas, based on FT feedback of good Plat. recognition. Was very impressed.

Had been blocked into a 12th Fl. corner suite day of arrival. Airport shuttle arrived before I completed my call to the bell desk (didn't notice whether there was a phone line at bag. claim).

Staff in all departments -- bell, front desk, restaurant, housekeeping -- was all kind and helpful.

Everything in the suite and public areas was up-to-date and in working order. Didn't see any of the wear-and-tear issues cited up-thread.

Commuting to the near-downtown area was easy: shuttle will drop guests at the Belt Line DART rail station (now the closest to DFW although DART will be extended to DFW in about a year.) Then a half-hour light rail ride. Also, a bus is available to the DART station via a 3-block walk from the Westin over the 114 Fwy. bridge.

Didn't have time to try the breakfast but the buffet looked good, varied and fresh. Outdoor rooftop pool was heated to about 86 deg.

Would definitely return!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DL DM & 2MM
Westin DFW

Attempted to check-in early today and found out their systems are completely down so they can't check in anyone. Here's hoping they're up by 3pm check-in time.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Any recent stays?

I'm torn between this property and the sheraton for this Sunday night.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Any recent stays?

A few months back, I stayed at the Westin and had a meeting at the Sheraton. I was upgraded beforehand (no SNA's) to a nice high suite overlooking the runway- my request. No problems at all with the stay. The Sheraton is just across the freeway and is a larger and also nice hotel. I would (and did) make my decision based on price, as there is really not much difference in the 2 that I could ascertain.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Any recent stays?

I stayed at this property on an awards stay at the end of July and was upgraded to a suite the morning of arrival. No SNA was used.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat.
Any recent stays?

I stayed recently after a late cancelled flight, booked the cheapest room at 8pm and by the time I got to the hotel I'd been upgraded to a suite. For further Platinum recognition, I was handed a card for a complimentary drink and appetizer at the bar. I found the staff to be genuinely warm and welcoming. If stranded at DFW again, I'd happily stay there again.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed here earlier in September. As a Plat, was upgraded to a suite w/o SNA. Was offered the choice of a free breakfast or welcome amenity, and I'm not sure that's right?

Overall decent for the $90 or so I paid, but a few annoying things:
  • I wanted to swim laps before a long DFW-HKG flight, but they threw the vacuum into the pool at opening time and it took 3 hours to run its course (can't that thing do its job when the pool is closed overnight?)
  • They no longer have a whirlpool (they removed it)
  • Breakfast was pretty weak. I know it's free for plats, but I find that my Sheraton breakfasts lately have been a lot more solid/higher quality food
  • I realize it's an airport hotel, but when rwy 17L is in use, the planes flight right over the building. Cool if you like that sorta thing, but for light sleepers, be warned
Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:34 pm
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
As of late December, they no longer issue "Platinum Appreciation" F&B ($15 value) vouchers.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Which would u choose..... Westin or Sheraton DFW..... here for 2 days during early week... 5am flight back home.... Platinum looking for better chance of upgrades
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
I was upgraded at the Westin DFW a couple of years ago and was impressed with the room and breakfast. I have also had meetings at the Sheraton and found it to be equally good. I would go for the lower rate, seeing virtually no discernible difference.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:57 am
Suspended

The big turn off if the Westin has no club lounge and that's usually the deal breaker.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:43 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

OK property, average staff

The Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

4545 W John Carpenter Fwy Irving, TX US 75063

OK property, average staff (7 Photos)

I had not planned to stay at this property, but due to a delay by AA and subsequently missing my connection in DFW, I was put up in this hotel by AA.

Before this I've always passed by this property when I am in the DFW area, but never really consider staying at this property.  So on one hand it is nice to be able to finally check this property out.

This property is located about 10 mins (in normal traffic) from DFW.  The hotel does provide a shuttle from the airport to the hotel.  I am not sure if during normal hours (morning till late evening) if the shuttle comes on a regular basis or it is you have to call the hotel to send one.  I did try to use those infoboard calling at the arrivals level, but for this property although listed, did not have the complimentary option to call the hotel for shuttle or for room availability check.  

Other than that, the property is located close to the John F Carpenter highway.  Around the property, there are limited options for food (a Denny's and a petro station convenience store).

Check In

Currently the property is undergoing some renovation work, so the normal entrance to the lobby is closed off, and the main entrance was moved to the entrance normally for convention/meeting room area.  

Due to this renovation, they had a temporarily lobby set up.  Since it was so late, there was no one in front of me, and I was helped immediately.  Upon providing them with a voucher from AA, I was within a couple of mins on my way to my room.  The check-in associate was friendly and efficient.

I guess as a stranded passenger and on AA's dime, the room given would be the lowest category (and floor) provided.  This was what was provided from what it looks to me.  (most probably if it was out of my own pocket and with elite status, a higher catergory room would have been provided).

Room

I was given a room on the 5th floor.  The room size was ok, with a small single chair and small table to the corner and large working desk.

The bed was comfortable - the usual Westin standard bed - so this was good.  Other than that it was a standard room as expected - with the usual tea/coffee making facility.  There were 2 bottles of water provided complimentary in the room (Westin DFW branded) which is nice.  

The bath room was of adequate size and the shower was good - pressure and temperature control.  Toiletries provided was the inhouse brand - which was not too shabby in quality.

As expected, since it was central AC, it worked well with good temperature control and luckily not too loud.  Noise isolation in the room was good in general - you can still hear the traffic noise and planes flying overhead (depending on the landing/takeoff direction on the day/hour).  

Wifi was complimentary and for guests staying due to flight disruption, they do get a special code (provided during check-in) specifically for the airline company that is accommodating you.  Speed was ok although it seemed to keep switching especially when moving from different areas of the hotel to the different signals - therefore requiring logging in again.

West_bed.jpg

Breakfast

Although breakfast was not included, with the meal voucher provided, I opted to use it for the breakfast at the hotel.  Although it was not enough to cover the buffet breakfast, I paid the rest out of pocket to cover the cost.  ($18+ per person).

Breakfast spread was ok - typical of what you'll expect from a Westin.  There was an egg station where you can also order waffles and pancakes. 

Service was in general ok. 

Later at check-out I did ask about the complimentary breakfast for Elites here, and I was surprised to hear that only 1 complimentary breakfast is given even though there is 2 guests in the room.  This was strange to me - as I understand, up to 2 guests in the room should receive complimentary breakfast if there is no lounge or this is chosen as your arrival option.

west_breafk.jpgWest_breakfast.jpg

Overall

All in all an OK property.  Although now it does seem to have gone past it's age, I guess with the ongoing renovation, it will freshen up the property.  For me the current interior is too dark and not very inviting.  I really am not sure if I will return to this property - as I expected more from a Westin.  To me it did not stand out and to me it was comparable to a lower tier Marriott property.  Facilities and staff were in general average, so in my opinion I would not return based on this.  (of course maybe I would have a different opinion if I had booked this property and was given the treatment based on my elite status with the program).

West_hall.jpgWest_hall2.jpgWest_lobby.jpgWest_meeting.jpg

OK property, average staff

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Introduction I had not planned to stay at this property, but due to a delay by AA and subsequently missing my connection in DFW, I was put up in this hotel by AA.Before this I've always passed by this property when I am in the DFW area, but never really consider staying at this property. So on one hand it is nice to be able to finally check this property out. Location This property is located about 10 mins (in normal traffic) from DFW. The hotel does provide a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. I am not sure if during normal hours (morning till late evening) if the shuttle comes on a regular basis or it is you have to call the hotel to send one. I did try to use those infoboard calling at the arrivals level, but for this property although listed, did not have the complimentary option to call the hotel for shuttle or for room availability check. Other than that, the property is located close to the John F Carpenter highway. Around the property, there are limited options for food (a Denny's and a petro station convenience store). Check In Currently the property is undergoing some renovation work, so the normal entrance to the lobby is closed off, and the main entrance was moved to the entrance normally for convention/meeting room area. Due to this renovation, they had a temporarily lobby set up. Since it was so late, there was no one in front of me, and I was helped immediately. Upon providing them with a voucher from AA, I was within a couple of mins on my way to my room. The check-in associate was friendly and efficient.I guess as a stranded passenger and on AA's dime, the room given would be the lowest category (and floor) provided. This was what was provided from what it looks to me. (most probably if it was out of my own pocket and with elite status, a higher catergory room would have been provided). Room I was given a room on the 5th floor. The room size was ok, with a small single chair and small table to the corner and large working desk.The bed was comfortable - the usual Westin standard bed - so this was good. Other than that it was a standard room as expected - with the usual tea/coffee making facility. There were 2 bottles of water provided complimentary in the room (Westin DFW branded) which is nice. The bath room was of adequate size and the shower was good - pressure and temperature control. Toiletries provided was the inhouse brand - which was not too shabby in quality.As expected, since it was central AC, it worked well with good temperature control and luckily not too loud. Noise isolation in the room was good in general - you can still hear the traffic noise and planes flying overhead (depending on the landing/takeoff direction on the day/hour). Wifi was complimentary and for guests staying due to flight disruption, they do get a special code (provided during check-in) specifically for the airline company that is accommodating you. Speed was ok although it seemed to keep switching especially when moving from different areas of the hotel to the different signals - therefore requiring logging in again. Breakfast Although breakfast was not included, with the meal voucher provided, I opted to use it for the breakfast at the hotel. Although it was not enough to cover the buffet breakfast, I paid the rest out of pocket to cover the cost. ($18+ per person).Breakfast spread was ok - typical of what you'll expect from a Westin. There was an egg station where you can also order waffles and pancakes. Service was in general ok. Overall All in all an OK property. Although now it does seem to have gone past it's age, I guess with the ongoing renovation, it will freshen up the property. For me the current interior is too dark and not very inviting.

Thanks for the review. I've found the hotel to be adequate for overnight layovers and we stay at this property at least four times a year. The front desk clerk was incorrect about the elite breakfast. They actually give you a card to present to the wait staff and the card is clear that the buffet breakfast is complimentary for up to a party of two. I have a reservation Monday night at this property.

Looks like in your review everything was OK/adequate with the exception of the renovation causing the relocation of the lobby. Would be interested to know exactly the reason for not recommending.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:05 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Often available on Hotwire as a 4-star hotel in the DFW North and Grapevine area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.