Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:39 am

Another great stay at the Sheraton Taipei

Here's another report on my very recent stay at the Sheraton Taipei Hotel.

Before Arrival

Two days before arrival, my superior room reservation detail on Spg.com disappeared, and from my past experience, something special has happened . Typing in my confirmation number manually, I saw that I was upgrade to a Director's Room Junior Suite.

Upon Arrival

Taxi pulled up, bellman took my luggage and directed me to the check-in desk. Flight was delayed so the check-in area was empty (close to midnight). Welcomed me as a SPG platinum member and a returning guest. Told me I was upgraded to a junior suite.

Accommodation

Just like my last report, the director's room is two standard rooms lumped into a junior suite with a sitting area, two full size beds (yes, the twins in this room are exceptionally large, and the dimensions are states on the Sheraton website as 25cm wider than their normal twin rooms, great for families ). Bathroom are marble tiles with deep soaking tub, separate shower, vanity area, and separated toilet area. The amenities are standard L'Occitane items. Excellent room conditions and decor

Club Lounge

Same as before. One of the better lounges in Asia. Breakfast / Afternoon Tea/ HappyHour Dinner served 7 days a week. Large breakfast spread (for a club lounge ) with both Taiwanese and Western selections. Service is impeccable. ^

Overall

This is a great hotel in Taipei, close to MRT (Exit 2 of Shandao Temple Station) and other Taipei attractions/shopping areas. And for SPG redemption at Cat 3, a great value.

Currently staying at the Westin Taipei just to try it out. Will report after my stay.

As a reminder: UPGRADED EXECUTIVE LEVEL ROOMS do not include executive level benefits except for lounge access (which is granted with Platinum status)
Old Apr 27, 2009, 1:35 pm

I'm suprised they didn't meet you at the taxi and take you directly to your room and check you in there? They've done that the last 2 times I stayed there.

Agree, it's a great value and the service there is always top notch.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 5:40 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Quite an impressive spread in the lounge

This hotel definitely has one of the best Happy Hour spreads I've seen in a hotel lounge. It could quite easily make for a very satisfying dinner for a carnivore, with hot meat dishes, pasta with meat sauce, several Asian dishes, soup, sandwiches, lots of veggies, custard buns, potatoes, breads and on and on. Some custard with fruit and other dessert items as well. The lounge attendants tend bar.

The lounge is quite spacious and attractive, with an abundance of reading material (lending library of books and also magazines) and lots of quiet space (don't know if it's also so quiet or the hotel is just lightly occupied).

Internet is free in my room (plat) and also in the lounge.

They were a bit skimpy on the amenity delivered to my room - four bottle-top-sized cookies.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by l'etoile
This hotel definitely has one of the best Happy Hour spreads I've seen in a hotel lounge. It could quite easily make for a very satisfying dinner for a carnivore, with hot meat dishes, pasta with meat sauce, several Asian dishes, soup, sandwiches, lots of veggies, custard buns, potatoes, breads and on and on. Some custard with fruit and other dessert items as well. The lounge attendants tend bar.

The lounge is quite spacious and attractive, with an abundance of reading material (lending library of books and also magazines) and lots of quiet space (don't know if it's also so quiet or the hotel is just lightly occupied).

Internet is free in my room (plat) and also in the lounge.

They were a bit skimpy on the amenity delivered to my room - four bottle-top-sized cookies.
+1 Definitely one of the better lounges in Asia...

Question...was the internet free in your room BECAUSE you were a platinum member, or were you staying with a rate that INCLUDED internet, or was your room close enough to the club lounge on the 17th that allowed you to capture the free wireless up there?
Last time I was there (and everytime I was there), even though I was upgraded to the club level, 15th-17th, club level benefits did not apply except for lounge entry. (and I'm a plat)
Old Oct 4, 2009, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by myperks

Question...was the internet free in your room BECAUSE you were a platinum member, or were you staying with a rate that INCLUDED internet, or was your room close enough to the club lounge on the 17th that allowed you to capture the free wireless up there?
I'm pretty sure the Internet is free in my room because of status. I'll double check it for you.

Also ...one thing I really like here ...L'Occitane amenities. Never seen those in a Sheraton before.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 6:31 am

myperks: Just checked and the free in-room internet is only for certain corporate rates and/or if you booked a club room. Turns out status is not a factor.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 1:37 am

+2

I wouldn't even consider going to dinner when I stay at Sheraton Taipei. One of the best lounges I've ever been to food-wise!!! ^ And probably the nicest Sheraton I've ever been to as well.........^
Old Oct 9, 2009, 8:30 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by l'etoile
myperks: Just checked and the free in-room internet is only for certain corporate rates and/or if you booked a club room. Turns out status is not a factor.
My internet has been free here since I became Platinum (wired in the room). I book the cheapest rate and get an upgarde to Club room and free internet...I stay here 6+ times per year and that has been consistent.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:54 am

well...my 3 stays this year = no complimentary WIRED internet in room even when I'm upgraded to club level, confirmed multiple times by FD and club lounge reps. is comp internet a plat amenity? i never asked as i take the points, always.

I am staying again sometime before the end of October...i shall see what's different (not counting on it). (i always book the cheapest or c+p, if i book with my SET code, the contract rate would include internet but that's way over the cheapest rate/c+p)
Old Oct 9, 2009, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Free wired in-room internet was offered to me as one of the Platinum welcome amenity choices. So, instead of the 500 SPG points, I chose the free internet for the duration of my stay (three nights). A price was displayed when I initially accessed the log-in; I called the front desk and confirmed that I will not be charged.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 5:40 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Accoding to the Lurkers, one is entitled to all the benefits of the upgraded room /suite as is a paid customer. I doubt this has been well communicated to the properties.

well...my 3 stays this year = no complimentary WIRED internet in room even when I'm upgraded to club level, confirmed multiple times by FD and club lounge reps. is comp internet a plat amenity? i never asked as i take the points, always.

I am staying again sometime before the end of October...i shall see what's different (not counting on it). (i always book the cheapest or c+p, if i book with my SET code, the contract rate would include internet but that's way over the cheapest rate/c+p)
Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:41 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by jimmychang
Accoding to the Lurkers, one is entitled to all the benefits of the upgraded room /suite as is a paid customer. I doubt this has been well communicated to the properties.
In any case if a property is not practising it, feel free to bring to the attention of either William or myself.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by jimmychang
I am at this property at least twice each year, and everytime I have been told only paid rates get the benefits, not from the upgrade.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 7:43 pm

Another great stay over the Thanksgiving holiday...
nothing more to add from my previous experiences except for the following:

* Club Lounge invite during check-in telling me that there is a "special" club event for their Happy Hour at night (aka my dinner) for the Thanksgiving holiday. Turkey and all the trimmings in addition to their regular food items ^^^. All i can say is WOW.

* Internet is comped for the entire stay IF you choose that as your platinum amenity. (when comped, no need to click through the purchase page, i'm thinking the room "port" is opened for unlimited access)

* VERY attentive staff as always, trying to fulfill all requests if available.

* Pre-upgraded before arrival to my choice of rooms

ALWAYS A GOOD CHOICE WHEN IN TAIPEI!!! LOVE THIS PROPERTY.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
This may appear to be a huge n00b question but...

Does anyone find it slightly interesting that this property, more often than not, is more expensive on a per night basis then the Westin Taipei? Is it just solely since it has been renovated just 3-4 years ago?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.