Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2003, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
I have stayed at the Lai Lai since it first opened in the 1980's. It used to be the grandest hotel in Taipei. Its past glories are no longer, but it is still a decent full-service hotel.

Now I stay mostly at the Westin (a solid 4 star) if the rate is around NT$5,000, above that I would stay at the Far Eastern Plaza (5 star), the Sherwood (5 star), or the Petit Sherwood (4 star). Unfortunately these hotels only give airline credit, or Shangri-La's Golden Circle for the former. The location of the FEP is a bit out of the way, but with taxis it's only a 5-minute cab ride to almost anywhere.

Not to be superstitious, the Grand Hyatt is located in an area known for bad fung-shui (ask the locals and they will tell you more about the pair of tall yellow "scrolls" right opposite the entrance above the garage elevators). I would avoid the Regent like a plague (it's really substandard and they've changed management to a local firm).

If you like a W type of hotel try the United. Also, the former Inter-Continental (now know as Imperial) is an elegant hotel with great rates at around NT$3,000.

Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:13 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Sheraton Taipei

I am thinking about going to Taipei for a weekend in Christmas. I am thinking about whether I should stay at the Sheraton Taipei or the Grand Formosa Regent. I heard the Sheraton Taipei has just been renovated and I am not sure whether the renovation of the hotel has been completed or not. Has anyone stayed in this hotel recently? How are the renovated rooms? Thanks.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:10 am

Sheraton Taipei is still undergoing renovation; however, I heard some rooms are already completed. But I will avoid it in case it turns out you are assigned to the old room or noise from renovation.

Westin Taipei is recommended that I stayed last month and the service is great. Upgraded to a corner suite with Plasma TV and large bathroom.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by ylee1969
Sheraton Taipei is still undergoing renovation; however, I heard some rooms are already completed. But I will avoid it in case it turns out you are assigned to the old room or noise from renovation.

Westin Taipei is recommended that I stayed last month and the service is great. Upgraded to a corner suite with Plasma TV and large bathroom.
Can anyone confirm that Sheraton TPE is still undergoing renovation?
Old Oct 18, 2004, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Motion122
Can anyone confirm that Sheraton TPE is still undergoing renovation?
I just checked out 15 October. Still undergoing renovation. Lounge and other facilities closed. As a platinum, I got a nice room, but really no other amenities. The hotel itself is fine; staff is generally nice, though a few people were less so.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 8:43 am

Renovated rooms available

I just stayed there and found out -- to my great surprise -- that they have renovated rooms available. I think none of those old rooms are offered any longer. They reopened the tower wing -- on the left one third of the structure. The remainder you can tell is undergoing heavy renovation.

New rooms are a huge improvement. It's more like rooms at the Westin and newer even. The renovation they did at the Sheraton Taipei is rather thorough -- not like partial renovation at the Royal Orchid Sheraton in Bangkok (completed for the suites). At the Sheraton Taipei, the bathroom has been refurbished entirely with a deeper bathtub and a separate shower stand. In the room I had the bathroom was partitioned by glass wall like the one in renovated rooms at the Sheraton Hong Kong.

The lobby is also look a lot different.

They also have an executive lounge, open to Platinum members. But when I was there, they did not have any breakfast available -- something you can expect as a Platinum at the Westin Taipei.

The health club is closed but access to a California fitness center near the Taiepei Rail Station is offered for a fee. I think a day pass is 700 New Taiwan Dollars. I didn't ask if they would waive the fee for a Platinum.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Thanks for the report. I am trying to decide between the Westin and Sherton right now for a trip in Feb.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA LPLT, SQ Gold, QF, BA, UA, AS NB, Bonvoy LPLT, HH Gold
Sheraton Taipei

I have one night in Taipei on 2 May and am thinking of staying at Sheraton. Anyone been there?

Is it close to Taipei 101 building - I'm keen to visit it.

I arrive at 8pm amd depart next morning at 11.20am will I realistically have time to go up to the observation deck - is it open.

Any suggestions on a good rate for a night at the Sheraton, besides the website?

Cheers, Paul
Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by paul4471
I have one night in Taipei on 2 May and am thinking of staying at Sheraton. Anyone been there?

Is it close to Taipei 101 building - I'm keen to visit it.

I arrive at 8pm amd depart next morning at 11.20am will I realistically have time to go up to the observation deck - is it open.

Any suggestions on a good rate for a night at the Sheraton, besides the website?

Cheers, Paul
I didn't stay at Sheraton, but stayed at Westin Taipei recently. I will highly recommend it since it was v nice. Westin is about 1-1/2 blk from the closest MRT, and I believe there's a MRT stop at Sheraton too.

If you arrive TPE at 8pm, and you really want to visit Taipei 101, I will suggest you to consider a different hotel - Grand Hyatt Taipei. It is right next to Taipei 101. I think Taipei 101 & observation deck closes around 10pm (not 100% sure) and it takes around 45 mins to get from TPE into the city. Taipei 101 is v nice shopping ctr, and if you get to visit it, make sure you visit the food court at the basement - too much choices...=)
Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:58 pm
SJC

Programs: UA 1K2MM
I think it will be tough to make it to Taipei 101 obseratory with your arrival/departure times.

The Sheraton is near completion of the major renovation. All interior work have been completed and they have done a fantastic job. I stayed there three times the last few months. There is an MRT station (Jin-An Temple Station) 2 minutes walk out the front door of the hotel. The 101 tower is near City Hall. Take the MRT to the City Hall station and it is about 10 minutes walk from there. The area is one of the most popular gathering spot for the locals with many department stores, movie compex (Warner Bros. Village) and Restaurants.

More info on Taipei 101: http://www.tfc101.com.tw/english/index.htm
Old Apr 8, 2005, 4:41 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

The location of the Sheraton is very good, due to its easy access to MRT. The homepage of the Sheraton (also very new and very good, although some bugs by the Englsich Version is www.sheraton-taipei.com. It looks really nice, I stayed there a year agon in the old rooms. The Westin is - if you have to use puiblic transportation - not a good choice.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paul4471
I think it will be tough!

Observation deck is open 9am-10pm, unless they have extended it recently. It takes 45 minutes into the city by taxi, more than one hour by bus. Considering clearing immigration and customs, it will be close to 10pm when you get to the city. You need to leave no later than 920am next day for the airport, and that's cutting it close already! I don't think it would work for you! Sorry!

As to the locations, Grand Hyatt is right next to Taipei 101. In fact, it is connected to Taipei 101 by a pedestrian overpass. Sheraton is about 20-30 minutes away by either MRT or taxi.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 6:01 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

At least last year in april, there was a shuttle bus running beetween Taipei 101 and the MRT "City Hall" - unfortunately I did not find the shedule any more.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Stayed at both Sheraton and Westin in December, both upgrade me to a suite. I have to say Sheraton room is nicer, bigger and newer than Westin.
However, both hotels are typical western style hotels that do not present much of local characters.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

The Sheraton has nicer rooms? They must have done some major renovations, because my last stay in 2003 was dingy as heck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.