Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes the lounge makes this hotel worthwhile. But I was also upgraded to one of the "executive" floors on a week long stay so it certainly can happen. The room was excellent and I didn't miss not having a suite.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
That's also reassuring. Thanks.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:25 am

SPG Gold recent stay

Booked a basic room for a last minute stay for family (they are SPG gold thru Amex Plat). The room description said 2 queens, was hoping they could honor a request for a single king but alas, didn't happen. So no change/upgrade but used the late check out.

Next time I'll try the Westin, this hotel is too far west for our liking anyway..
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Here right now.

Was upgraded to a executive diplomatic suite on the 15th floor for my 2-night stay. Very pleased, as the hotel seems busy.

Room large and nice, large living room, guest bathroom, bedroom, master bathroom with large walk in shower and deep soaking tub. The two toilets are Toto's with dryers Nice bathroom amenities as well.

Fruitplate arrived to the room - nice touch.

The club lounge is great. Soft drinks/beer/coffee all day, and "dinner buffet" from 1730 till 1930. Also hard liqour served from 1700 till 2000. The food is quite good - today they had grilled chicken with rice, mashed potatoes - and pepper- or redwine sauce. Salad buffet, breads, some chinese dishes, fried fish, french fries, cold cuts, steamed vegetables, etc, etc. Very good for a club lounge.

And of course - loads of people without manners, coughing and spitting on their plates, etc. Disgusting! But that's not the hotel's fault.

Easy to get UBER from the hotel.

Will definately be back!
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:35 pm

Booked a hotel here for next week. Found a MasterCard promotion where I would be paying slightly less for a room on the Executive floor than my current deluxe room. The promo is on the website but when I called to SPG they said the promo was ongoing but it wasn't available on my dates. Oddly enough it seemed available online. I would book it but the promo on the website won't let me change from one adult to two adults on the reservation and I am not sure if it would be an issue with the rate or room availability.

Love the location of this hotel though. Very near the railway.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ccyao
Booked a hotel here for next week. Found a MasterCard promotion where I would be paying slightly less for a room on the Executive floor than my current deluxe room. The promo is on the website but when I called to SPG they said the promo was ongoing but it wasn't available on my dates. Oddly enough it seemed available online. I would book it but the promo on the website won't let me change from one adult to two adults on the reservation and I am not sure if it would be an issue with the rate or room availability.

Love the location of this hotel though. Very near the railway.
The only issue with 1 vs 2 (or more) people is the Platinum breakfast or lounge access. If you book 1 person, the extra person won't get the free breakfast or lounge access...which if you're not Platinum, is probably not a factor.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 3:47 am

Was finally able to resolve it. They did charge for the other person.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The only issue with 1 vs 2 (or more) people is the Platinum breakfast or lounge access. If you book 1 person, the extra person won't get the free breakfast or lounge access...which if you're not Platinum, is probably not a factor.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stimpy
What type of room are you booking and what type of rate? If you book the cheapest, why would you expect a suite? A king club is a very nice room and a great value when booking the cheapest room IMHO.
Because it's in the program rules?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:26 pm

Had a great stay at this hotel. Great location for what I was doing and the service was excellent. You won't need an Uber, there is always a line of cabs outside.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ccyao
Had a great stay at this hotel. Great location for what I was doing and the service was excellent. You won't need an Uber, there is always a line of cabs outside.
Uber is much cheaper (in most cases) than a taxi in Taipei - just keep in mind Uber is officially illegal, so be discreet to help out your drivers.

However, the hotel is outside a MRT station, and the MRT hits the key spots around Taipei, so in most cases, there is no need for a taxi or Uber.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:16 am

Had 4 nights last week, first time back in 3 years. Still very nice hotel and certainly a far cry from when it was the rather grim and dark Lai Lai Sheraton of a decade ago.
The lounge is still good but maybe not quite the outstanding experience of previous stays: could be becoming a victim of its own success given how full it was. Even so a far better lounge than most and a very nice spread.
I use the MRT/metro option these days: 3 days unlimited ticket for 400 or 500NT, ie about USD 14 -17. It's very easy so long as you can read a map and can negotiate stairs. Very clean , very quick to get across town, easy to transfer.

Last edited by paolo64; Apr 6, 2016 at 3:17 am Reason: Add
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Looking forward to my stay here tomorrow. I always wanted to stay just to give it a try (usually I'm at the W or the GH).

I guess going to Taipei main station makes sense from Taoyuan and then subway or a taxi. Need to go to Songshan on Friday. Any ideas for that?

Last edited by skywalkerLAX; Apr 6, 2016 at 5:19 am
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Looking forward to my stay here tomorrow. I always wanted to stay just to give it a try (usually stay at the W or the GH).

I guess going to Taipei main station makes sense from Taoyuan and then subway or a taxi. Need to go to Songshan on Friday. Any ideas for that?
The subway stops at Songshan, if my memory didn't fail me.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Looking forward to my stay here tomorrow. I always wanted to stay just to give it a try (usually I'm at the W or the GH).

Taipei main station is about 500 metres from the hotel. One MRT stop, station for the hotel is Shandao Temple, line 5 direction to Taipei Nangang Exhibition Centre.
Songshan is on line 1: from hotel, Shandao Temple take line 5, direction Taipei Nangang, change to line 1 ( direction also Nangang) at Zhongxiao Fuxing, Songshan is 3 stops.
I walked from Taipei station to hotel ( hand luggage only), easy walk
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
From hotel to TSA is such a short and cheap cab ride - why bother with the subway?
If I recall correctly, it is barely 100 NTD. Why bother with the ups and downs,
changing trains, carrying even hand luggage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.