Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Towers Singapore [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
As of July 2023, breakfast for Elites is in the restaurant (no welcome gift choice required), and evening cocktails are in the 3rd floor lounge. The lounge opens at 9 AM for beverage service.

Front Office e-mail: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Towers Singapore [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2008, 3:15 am

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
What's up with rates at the Shearaton?

I was looking at rates in Singapore (as I'm also affected by the "falling pacific peso($A)" as noted by drron) and was shocked to see rates at $400 for a basic room. I also checked rates in January and February 2009 and it's always the same price. The St. Regis is only $405 for the same dates but it is a category 6 hotel.

So, either the rates at the Sheraton are absolutely inflated or they must have done some work since I was last there to upgrade everything. Why else could they demand $400 per night?

I also noticed that the have not released any Specialty Select room upgrade awards for 2008 and 2009 (was told by CSR that the hotel only offers standard rooms or suites). Is this something new or maybe just a glitch?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 5:24 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by Sydfly
I was looking at rates in Singapore (as I'm also affected by the "falling pacific peso($A)" as noted by drron) and was shocked to see rates at $400 for a basic room. I also checked rates in January and February 2009 and it's always the same price. The St. Regis is only $405 for the same dates but it is a category 6 hotel.

So, either the rates at the Sheraton are absolutely inflated or they must have done some work since I was last there to upgrade everything. Why else could they demand $400 per night?

I also noticed that the have not released any Specialty Select room upgrade awards for 2008 and 2009 (was told by CSR that the hotel only offers standard rooms or suites). Is this something new or maybe just a glitch?
S$400 is very high for this hotel--decent hotel, not amazing; decent location, not amazing; good service, nice gym and pool (when the construction next door is complete, it will be nicer pool to hang out at); nice Plat Lounge.
But if you're Plat, and it's S$400 at the St. Regis, go for that: they actually upgrade Plats to available suites--I've heard the Sheraton is quite spotty in regard to upgrades to suites, though in my one stay there this year in July, I did get a really nice suite.
Always be sure to check the "Star Picks" on SPG for discounted rates at the Sheraton in upcoming weeks; in July it was only about S$200, but often only via the StarPicks, and those were on Thursday to Sunday.
Finally, a much easier way to get to and from Orchard Road is to cross the street in front of the hotel and take ANY bus--they are all going to Orchard Road area. If you have a MetroCard (I can't remember the name of Singapore's prepaid transit card) that you can buy at any subway station, you just swipe it when you board. You can also pay cash if you don't have the card.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 5:52 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
... I also checked rates in January and February 2009 and it's always the same price. The St. Regis is only $405 for the same dates but it is a category 6 hotel.
So, either the rates at the Sheraton are absolutely inflated or they must have done some work since I was last there to upgrade everything. Why else could they demand $400 per night?..
I expect them to come down. This property is notorious for being late in loading their rates for the next year. Until somewhat recently no cash rates were loaded and only C&P stays could be booked for 2009. Some of us voiced complaints in the SIN Do 2009 thread and shortly thereafter these high rates were loaded. My corporate rate is not loaded yet for 2009 either. In the past, the next years rates for the next year were loaded sometime in late November or January.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.

My booking was last minute-a switch from Hilton due to last quarter SPG promotion.Sheraton was ~$S300,St.Regis $S700.So book a cancellable rate somewhere and look close to travel especially the starpicks rate.Obviously the Sheraton goes down closer to the dates as it is quiet,the St.Regis goes up as it is popular and busy.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 5:29 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I've only recently started staying at the Sheraton Towers. They treat me OK, but I still feel it's overpriced. If it wasn't a SPG hotel, I wouldn't even consider it.

I'm considering the Fairmont (formerly Rafflles) for my future, but not yet booked stays.

...the Sheraton goes down closer to the dates as it is quiet,the St.Regis goes up as it is popular and busy.
The St Regis has major occupancy issues. They are, and continue to be, a much better hotel, but as a friend told me, "They have more staff than guests". This is likey the reason the rates have fallen from S$680+ to the S$400's range noted above. They've done great at keeping these problems a secret. The staff were near panic this past summer wondering if the hotel would 'be able to ake it'.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:32 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by kyushuman
If you have a MetroCard (I can't remember the name of Singapore's prepaid transit card) that you can buy at any subway station, you just swipe it when you board. You can also pay cash if you don't have the card.
Let me help you with this one.

It's called Transitlink card. You may purchase the stored value card at the MRT stations.

[email protected]
Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:52 am

Programs: SKF, ROP, SPG, SL Golden Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriot
Originally Posted by I Claudius
I stayed here a couple of weeks ago and was upgraded to a Terrace Room on level 5 (the pool level). It was nice of them to upgrade me - I had asked for this as I passed the 50 nights mark during my stay. But to be honest, the room did not seem nearly so nice as the one I had on my last stay (a regular room on a high floor). The room comes with a large terrace which no one would use right now as they are doing lots of construction work just across the road from the terrace. So, it's dusty and noisy outside. The lower floor also meant traffic noise was more of an issue - but not a big one, thankfully, when curtains were closed. Next time I'll pass on the terrace room and opt for a normal room.

The hotel is a short walk (5 mins) to the nearest underground station (Newton) and I found this the easiest way to get to Orchard Road (1 stop) for a shop and a mooch around. The main restaurant is a bit soul-less but the bar next door has comfy chairs, cold beer and nice bar snacks. The lounge singer is only fairly bad.
Not sure how many of you agree, I take a peep into room 110x, the interior is worn and tired. I thought the room only look like a cat 2 hotel, although the lobby is still great.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 6:55 am

Singapore Sheraton Towers Lounge

Considering paying an upgrade charge to stay in the Towers and use the lounge. And may have to invite a clientup there too.

Can anyone shed any light on the breakfast offerrings as well as the cocktail service ? Is there a significant variety and do they police the alcohol at night like it was dear ? Thanks.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jan 18, 2009 at 9:29 am Reason: Moved into master thread so info can be found in one spot
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Abassador Gold, Fly BMI,Starwood Gold, Hilton Honours
I stayed at this hotel a few years back, but i booked it throug the Amex Plat (i was an still am Gold preferred). I got upgraded to the Tower room (me thinks thanks to Amex) but the room was more or less standard and basic. It included breakfast and laundry.

To be fair, most of the time was spend sightseeing so not really fussed about the room. Prices for the hotel were value for money, and not bad for the location. No the best Sheraton I have stayed in, but not the worst. Overall a nice hotel.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 5:26 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Originally Posted by idainc
Considering paying an upgrade charge to stay in the Towers and use the lounge. And may have to invite a clientup there too.

Can anyone shed any light on the breakfast offerrings as well as the cocktail service ? Is there a significant variety and do they police the alcohol at night like it was dear ? Thanks.
If you pay for the towers i think you can get breakfast in the restaurant which is much better than the lounge.At breakfast only small amounts put out,limited choice and slow to replenish.
At night again small amounts of food put out but good quality.Not a huge choice.No problems with the wine,our glasses were constantly refilled until we said no more.A limited selection of spirits.Again it appeared to be no problems with supply.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:35 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
Sheraton Towers Singapore

What a shocker of a SPG property, bad smells (in corridor and lift), also outside the executive lounge on L3 smelled like a garbage truck had parked there, old tired rooms with shower over bath. Ther was an air purifier machinese in the corridor. the chjeck in staff was rough as sacks. After coming from St Regis what a come down.

They are charging minimum S$280/night. the old Le Meredien was better at least had some shops outside it.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jan 26, 2009 at 11:15 am Reason: Thanks for update; merged into master thread
Old Jan 26, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Sorry to hear of your experience! Happy Anniversary!

I had a great stay at this hotel last weekend for the SIN DO ^. Had a nice room on lvl 5 (pool lvl) with a terrace. Yes the room did smell a little funny - but housekeeping came in and sprayed etc and it wasnt so bad. I really enjoyed my stay.

The lounge on lvl 3 was great, and didnt notice any bad smells in, near or outside the lounge. I loved the nice chardonnay and the complimentary PCs in the lounge though ! The lounge staff were excellent and so was reception. Maybe you just got a bad day there!

My prev stay at LM was so bad (terrible room, mouldy, stinky, damaged door locks, poor service etc) - so to me Sheraton Towers was certainly a step up! LM has now gone from SPG stable btw.

Also I suspect there is already a thread here for this hotel...chances are this will be merged into the Sheraton Towers master thread...just so you know .
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by guybaxy
What a shocker of a SPG property, bad smells (in corridor and lift), also outside the executive lounge on L3 smelled like a garbage truck had parked there, old tired rooms with shower over bath. Ther was an air purifier machinese in the corridor. the chjeck in staff was rough as sacks. After coming from St Regis what a come down.

They are charging minimum S$280/night. the old Le Meredien was better at least had some shops outside it.
I just finished my stay at the hotel and my experience was completely different.

When I arrived at the hotel around 9:30am, the front desk person told me my pre-assigned suite was not ready and she gave me options - either to wait for the suite till afternoon or to take a cabana room on the 5th floor right away. While I was updating a registration form, she made a couple of phone calls - she found one suite (Nairobi Suite) was just vacated. She contacted housekeeping to rush and I was sent to the Executive Lounge to enjoy breakfast and use the free PC.

My room became available at 10:30am. ^ I did not notice any smell and the bathroom was sparkling clean.

I probably encountered 6 Lounge attendants during my stay and everyone addressed me with my last name. They were all friendly, professional, and working hard. I did not notice garbage smell and the lounge offerings were fine although they could add sparkling wine in addition to red/white selection.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:38 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I too had a recent stay here. For a hotel with an out of the way location, it's still esy to get too by taxi or subway.

The hotel is lovely. The staff were great. Dispite only staying a few times before, the staff recognised me at check-in and warmly welcomed me back. As I was using AC miles for my stay, my SPG number wasn't in the booking. I was given a standard room, which although dated, was perfectly suitable, clean, and up to standard. I was also given lounge access and my 500 points.

I'm not a fan of this hotel, but they do a great job and I couldn't find much reason to complain.

I have an issue with the internet/Wi-Fi charges in the Executive Lounge. It's the only lounge I can think of where you have to pay the daily fee to use your own notebook. The lounge food for breakfast and cocktail hour was limited but sufficient. The choice to have (thier excellent) breakfast downstairs was offered, but I didn't feel the need to do so. Lounge service was top notch.

I did have a problem with housekeeping calling me dispite my Do Not Disturb sign on. I believed it the first day, when they said it was to be sure that the guest wasn't injured or unconcious. I then asked the front desk to NOT CALL me the following day (I was sick & sleeping off a fever) but it still happened. Do Not Disturb means Do Not Disturb.

A great hotel and a great stay for a hotel that isn't on the list of my favorites. I was very satisfied. The staff seem to be an integral part of the experience.

I would like to note that the rates are too much compared to other fine hotels in Singapore. I stayed on an award, but dispite my positive experience would not choose this hotel at the current rates they are asking.

Last edited by seanthepilot; Feb 1, 2009 at 10:53 am
Old Feb 7, 2009, 4:12 pm

Ooofa ! Marone ! Such filth !

Recent stay there on points alone and cash & points. Some random observations –

1. Hotel is somewhat out of the way a bit up Scotts Road and maybe a 15 minute walk to the center of things.

2. This property seems to have had its better day and hasn’t been refurbished and updated in a long time.

3. We checked in at almost 3AM and the condition of the room was not apparent until we returned after our meeting ( about 5PM ). The bathroom was heavily laced with mold and live mold spores. Most contact surfaces in the room were worn out with closet doors and bathroom door surfaces de-laminating. The room was really really small and cramped for two people. The carpet was filthy. It was stained throughout the room and worn into ruts. There was dirt buildup at the edges of the carpet. The room was terrible, no if’s and’s or but’s. Sickeningly dirty. Live mold spores.

4. We left after two nights and went to the Conrad where they had a special going on and for the exact same price we received a really great clean room with all day lounge etc. and full breakfast. Same price as the Sheraton without restaurant access for breakfast - no point used.

5. The Sheraton seems to need an update and a new mindset when it comes to pricing. I’ve stayed in other hotels in Singapore and the Sheraton doesn’t compare in terms of cleanliness and features / pricing. Cash & Points & lounge cost ( $90SGD ) is the same price as the Conrad ?

Two room service meals were terrible. How can you mess up Congee & Nasi Goreng ?

We checked out after two nights ( 30 hours in the hotel ). Desk clerk tried to do a recovery and we had already prepaid the Conrad. Drop the price, better room etc. Tried to charge tax on the award night and cash & points night and it took 20 minutes to correct even with the printed reservation stating to the contrary.

The lounge was OK. New and clean smelling.

Wrote hotel when we got back and received a small insufficient points refund.

Last edited by idainc; Feb 7, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.