Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Towers Singapore [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
As of July 2023, breakfast for Elites is in the restaurant (no welcome gift choice required), and evening cocktails are in the 3rd floor lounge. The lounge opens at 9 AM for beverage service.

Front Office e-mail: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Towers Singapore [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Check in is officially 2 pm but FYI we tried to check into a suite at noon - 1pm but had to wait until 6pm. The Plat in the suite had a late check out till 4 ( and the hotel informed us that it was 5 before he actually left. If you are not a Plat they will (try to )deny you lounge access even if your confirmation for a suite says lounge access is included. This whole rigmarole at check in spoiled an otherwise pleasant stay. The Cantonese restaurant in the basement was wonderful BTW.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Fizzer
Check in is officially 2 pm but FYI we tried to check into a suite at noon - 1pm but had to wait until 6pm. The Plat in the suite had a late check out till 4 ( and the hotel informed us that it was 5 before he actually left. If you are not a Plat they will (try to )deny you lounge access even if your confirmation for a suite says lounge access is included. This whole rigmarole at check in spoiled an otherwise pleasant stay. The Cantonese restaurant in the basement was wonderful BTW.
Wow that is bad. Can't believe they did that to you. Were you booked in a suite or was in an upgrade? checking in at 6 would never work I would for sure just tell them to give me another available room.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I did describe it earlier in the thread, so I hope nobody berates me for repeating it.

We were on an 8 day reward stay but had used points to specifically request an Executive suite, because that was the level that granted Club/ Lounge access according to spg.com. We had made a phone booking through SPG as it was not a standard points redemption. The reason given by Reception was that there were only a limited number of suites and that ours was the only one coming free that day but that the Plat had been granted a late check out as per the SPG T & C. It was especially frustrating as we were tired and the check out kept being pushed back. At first we were told come back at 2, then 3,then 5 before finally getting the room at 6.In all fairness at 3pm ,by which time our irritation was no doubt showing , they offered us another room temporarily.We took it but didn't take our bags because we didn't want to unpack and then repack. When we did get the room we asked about Lounge access and that's when we were told it was for Plats only and had to produce our confirmation listing lounge access ( which is still listed on spg.com with a suite btw ) as included.. We were granted it as an exception they said (in poor grace IMO ).

These are the benefits listed for a Towers Executive Suite right now that they seem to think are just for Plat SPG members.
"Rate incl bfast,8 pieces laundry/dry cleaning non-accum complimentary internet
603 sq ft / 56 m²
Executive lounge benefits
Separate living room with sofa
Butler
Complimentary local calls"
Old Jul 11, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Is the plat breakfast a continental breakfast of fruit and pastries or a full buffet? Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:36 pm

Just realized a botch. I booked the room for 3 nights, using separate reservations in case I needed to cancel one. When I asked for the suite, which was granted, I mentioned that I have 3 confirmation numbers but just gave the first, and I was confirmed for all 3 nights.

I just realized that the first night is extra as I arrive early the following morning. Wondering how I can ask them to notate the suite for the 2nd confirmation number, then cancel the first night and still be able to request early check in, even though they will have known I had the night before booked. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:46 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
You booked the night before since you have an early arrival. So you are using that reservation to ensure your suite is available when you arrive at 8 am. Why would you now try to cancel that and still expect such an early arrival? That is what Your24 is all about. IMO you are setting yourself up for disappointment all around.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
You booked the night before since you have an early arrival. So you are using that reservation to ensure your suite is available when you arrive at 8 am. Why would you now try to cancel that and still expect such an early arrival? That is what Your24 is all about. IMO you are setting yourself up for disappointment all around.
I guess I got spoiled when I was at the Sheraton in Rio de Janeiro and they let me check in at 6am. This time I arrive at 8 and I don't care in the worst case if I can't check in till 11 or 12. It's not such a splurge to keep the extra night since I booked pre March, at 4,800 spg points and 90 dollars but it's still a bit much if all I am gaining is an hour or 2.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by awardticket
wondering how I can ask them to notate the suite for the 2nd confirmation number, then cancel the first night and still be able to request early check in, even though they will have known I had the night before booked. Any ideas would be appreciated.
I guess I got spoiled when I was at the Sheraton in Rio de Janeiro and they let me check in at 6am. This time I arrive at 8 and I don't care in the worst case if I can't check in till 11 or 12. It's not such a splurge to keep the extra night since I booked pre March, at 4,800 spg points and 90 dollars but it's still a bit much if all I am gaining is an hour or 2.

If you give up your booking, they'll give or sell the suite to someone else. Why would you assume that the suite will still be available for you to check-in early? And you might get a Platinum in there who insists on staying till 4pm and your room won't be available to you till then.

Also, the hotel website booking page has a check-in time of 2pm, not 11 or even 12pm. They aren't under any obligation to let you check-in at 11 or 12, let alone 8am.

As previously said, you're setting yourself up for a major disappointment, and at the start of your stay too!

Wouldn't it be far easier and more correct to simply email the hotel and ask them if they can accomodate you and your arrangement? If they say they can't then you have to assume they can't and won't. Then if you decide to give up that extra night to save $ and points, then you have to accept whatever happens eventually.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:39 pm

thanks those are all good points. Here is where I am at. I prefer a suite of course no question. However that said I am only in 2 nights and I need a rollaway for 80 or second bed brought into the suite for 140 for our stay, as the suites have only king beds. In short -

pro's of the suite is a nicer room with extra lounge area,

cons are extra bedding cost, as they won't have 2 double beds and I would need to book the extra night to ensure I can get early check in. I am assuming (?) if I took any room with 2 double beds they would not have any trouble giving it to me earlier especially if I am passing on my confirmed suite.

For the extra 300 dollars in extra night costs with bedding I think I will just show up in the morning, and if they can give me a suite great, I will pay for the extra bedding, and if they can't then it wasn't worth 300 dollars. Does that make sense?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:01 pm

1. I don't think you should assume you can get an early check-in even if you gave up your suite for a smaller room. Doesn't mean you're saving the hotel money by voluntarily downgrading, therefore you can expect something in return. Doesn't work that way - that's asking for a let-down. If you have Your24, use it. If you don't, email the hotel in advance and ask.

2. As for suite vs 2 double beds, what I would do is I would keep the suite, arrive at the hotel and then ask to be shown both the suite and a normal double-bed room. The Premium Suites (not Exec Suites) which I've stayed in are dated and I didn't like them at all. I haven't seen an Exec Suite though. Anyway, this way you can decide if you want to pay the extra $$$ for a rollaway in a suite as compared to taking a room with two beds and not paying extra. I would presume it's more likely they would have empty double rooms to downgrade you to, than empty suites to upgrade you to, when you arrive, so keeping a suite in your name is a better idea.

But you of course run the risk of not liking the suite, and yet having to pay the $$$ for a rollaway because the hotel is full and is not able to downgrade you to a double-bed room (highly unlikely).
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
1. I don't think you should assume you can get an early check-in even if you gave up your suite for a smaller room. Doesn't mean you're saving the hotel money by voluntarily downgrading, therefore you can expect something in return. Doesn't work that way - that's asking for a let-down. If you have Your24, use it. If you don't, email the hotel in advance and ask.

2. As for suite vs 2 double beds, what I would do is I would keep the suite, arrive at the hotel and then ask to be shown both the suite and a normal double-bed room. The Premium Suites (not Exec Suites) which I've stayed in are dated and I didn't like them at all. I haven't seen an Exec Suite though. Anyway, this way you can decide if you want to pay the extra $$$ for a rollaway in a suite as compared to taking a room with two beds and not paying extra. I would presume it's more likely they would have empty double rooms to downgrade you to, than empty suites to upgrade you to, when you arrive, so keeping a suite in your name is a better idea.

But you of course run the risk of not liking the suite, and yet having to pay the $$$ for a rollaway because the hotel is full and is not able to downgrade you to a double-bed room (highly unlikely).
Thanks for all the pointers! Wow you really have it worked out I got to say. I don't have Your24 so that's out unfortunately. I didn't realize that the Premium suites were dated, I gotta figure that's what they will give me, as a first timer in their hotel.

I agree no guarantee they will let me check in early if I take a double room, I just figured they are more likely to be open and less likely to be occupied by an elite who doesn't check out until 4.

Does it make sense to keep the suite for the 2 nights on the reservation, and cancel the first night, which is under a separate confirmation number? Paying a full night for guaranteed early check in is a bit steep, (worst case they hold my luggage and I will see the sights). Since I can take either a double room or a suite I assume my chances are better that I won't have to wait the whole day to check in.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 6:08 am

Since I can take either a double room or a suite I assume my chances are better that I won't have to wait the whole day to check in.
As long as you are prepared for either eventuality, the choice is yours :P
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:33 am

The Premium Suites (not Exec Suites) which I've stayed in are dated and I didn't like them at all.

When did you stay there?

Also, it could be that someone can sleep on the sofa.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
When did you stay there?

Also, it could be that someone can sleep on the sofa.

Twice, about 1.5-2 years ago, latest one when they were in the midst of the refurb on the normal rooms. Was told no plans to redo the premier suites though that may have changed by now. Yep, sofa was plenty big but sounded like he wanted a proper "bed". Still think the best bet would be for him to see the suite on arrival to decide.

Have you been there lately? In the named suites? Have been wondering if it's worth a try again.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 8:42 am

Have you been there lately? In the named suites? Have been wondering if it's worth a try again.
I lived there for 2 months about 2 years ago. Midway through I was moved from one of the themed suites to another as they were doing renovations. I haven't been back to a room there as I live 5 mins away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.