Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Toronto Parkway North Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Toronto Parkway North Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
For a conference in July -- no choice really.

But at least I managed a better rate than the conference rate ...
Old May 9, 2010, 1:43 pm

I spend one-to-two weeks per month in Toronto and usually make this my default. I've stayed at three diff Starwood properties and try to get this one when I can.

Sheraton Toronto North - close to transportation and many office parks. Rooms are fine for what they need to be and staff downstairs is friendly (minus one angry woman who works the spirits lounge wed-fri). Twice had small issues with my room and both were fixed same day. Restaurant there isn't great but there's a decent sized restaurant complex across the street. Not a place for folks who want the Category 7 experience but does the job for an average night of $130-150 all taxes in.

Westin Prince - The worst of the three. Despise it, hate it, way overpriced (food menus don't have anything below $20) and find the staff frustrating to deal with (my last trip I asked about noise from the air conditioning and was told that the hotel was sold out so I couldn't move, I replied I didn't ask to move just if you could look at it). Located in middle of nowhere.

Sheraton City Centre - Best if you're staying downtown. Centrally located, close to everything, if you're driving it can take 20-30 minutes to drop off and pick up your car.
Old May 9, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AC*E, PC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Gold
Average at best. Close to many corporate offices. Starbucks in the lobby makes it convenient. Platinum recognition is average. Points have been posted to my account, usually timely. The hotel went through a reno a few years ago, but missed some areas. Usually get upgraded to a one bedroom suite. Club lounge food is average. Services not offered on the weekend but usually provided breakfast coupons in the restaurant. Lots of asian food restaurants available in the area and some usually bar food restaurants less than a mile away on the east of Hwy 404.
Old May 9, 2010, 2:56 pm

Agree.

Although I would say Platinum recognition is better than average.

Cheers,
Old May 9, 2010, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Zippin Bye
I spend one-to-two weeks per month in Toronto and usually make this my default. I've stayed at three diff Starwood properties and try to get this one when I can.

Sheraton Toronto North - close to transportation and many office parks. Rooms are fine for what they need to be and staff downstairs is friendly (minus one angry woman who works the spirits lounge wed-fri). Twice had small issues with my room and both were fixed same day. Restaurant there isn't great but there's a decent sized restaurant complex across the street. Not a place for folks who want the Category 7 experience but does the job for an average night of $130-150 all taxes in.

Westin Prince - The worst of the three. Despise it, hate it, way overpriced (food menus don't have anything below $20) and find the staff frustrating to deal with (my last trip I asked about noise from the air conditioning and was told that the hotel was sold out so I couldn't move, I replied I didn't ask to move just if you could look at it). Located in middle of nowhere.

Sheraton City Centre - Best if you're staying downtown. Centrally located, close to everything, if you're driving it can take 20-30 minutes to drop off and pick up your car.
Agree.

Except not a fan of Sheraton downtown. Too busy. Poor service. Per the comment about waiting for your car, and much more.

Cheers,
Old May 9, 2010, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by wolvie007
A complete dump. Have stayed there a few times over the past year when I've been in north GTA. Rooms are worn and all smell musty. Breakfast is very average and unhealthy as cooks continue to use bare hands to transfer food (even after wiping their head, face, nose, etc). Have complained twice and was simply given the "we'll look into it" standard response.

Avoid unless it's all that's available.
Disagree.

I stay here at least one a month. It's hardly a "complete dump" according to my standards. With free parking, low rates, good location (for me at least), a quiet lounge, great upgrades, and a nice swimming area for some down time between meetings during the day, I think it's pretty good value.

It is what it is. While I am sure there are issues, and I've had a couple myself, I have never had a "musty" room yet. So to say "all" room are musty is a gross exaggeration.

All in all, it's an average property, more than adequate for one night business stays, conferences and the such. Lots of great places to eat in the area, especially if you like Asian, and plenty of roadhouse eateries next door if you don't.

For the price - which is often complementary - the breakfast buffet isn't bad either!

(Haven't come across any of those elusive, bare-handed chefs...)

Cheers,
Old May 10, 2010, 8:56 am

Thanks everyone for the tips !

Do they ever upgrade Golds at this property?

Last edited by Wembleygal; May 10, 2010 at 8:57 am Reason: typo
Old May 11, 2010, 5:53 am

Never stayed there as a Gold myself, sorry.

Based on my Plat experience, which was initiatlly inconsistent a few years ago, I would say you may get a better floor, unlikely to get to a suite.

Cheers,
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:26 am

Just found out that I have been upgraded at this property for my July stay.

What kind of food, etc should I expect in the club lounge?

thanks again !
Old Jun 6, 2010, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Wembleygal
Just found out that I have been upgraded at this property for my July stay.

What kind of food, etc should I expect in the club lounge?

thanks again !
Well, let's just say you should keep your expectations in check. I say this as someone who says at this property a dozen times a year.

In the evening, you' have some hot and cold aps. Cold cuts, salmon, lots of vegies, etc... on the cold side. An ever-changing array of deep fried things on the hot... Some nights are better than others. YMMV.

In the morning, it's the same on the cold side, along with some breads, muffins, mini danishes, etc... with hash browns and eggs for hot, usually scrambled or sometimes in some kind of quesadilla or omlett style.

Complimentary juices,milk, coffee and soft drinks for both. In the evening, you can order beer or drink for a charge, and there's some not bad cookies/mini cakes for dessert. I usually snag a few, which are left behind after hours if they haven't been taken, to bring back to my room for a late night snack.

All in all it's better than nothing, but nothing like what you get in India or Australia or some of the European propeties, of even what you get at the downtown Sheratons in Toronto and Montreal.

If all else fails, there's a Timmys in the parking lot a hundred feet from the front door...

Cheers,
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: SPG LTP (let me live my fantasy), UAL 1K/MM, SWA A-list, Alaska Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Meh

I'm staying there right now. It's OK. It's clean, not musty. The furnishings are old, and the flowered window treatments remind me of being at grandma's house.

Service is great. There is a new sushi place across the highway called "dozo" that I will try. Dinner at the restaurant was great. Apparently the chef is thai and has his own recipe for pad thai. Amazing! The butter chicken looked really good too.

There are a ton of small asian restaurants and markets and an indian market within walking distance.

And, I have to mention the off track betting shop next to the front door of the lobby.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AC*E, PC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Gold
Any recent stays for feedback? Considering a family getaway over March break and debating between: Sheraton Parkway, Westin Prince and Sheraton Centre, Downtown, but trying to avoid the parking pain in downtown...
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:19 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by SPG Junkie
Any recent stays for feedback? Considering a family getaway over March break and debating between: Sheraton Parkway, Westin Prince and Sheraton Centre, Downtown, but trying to avoid the parking pain in downtown...
I stayed last month.

When you drive in, you'll see a parkade with the Sheraton sign. Don't use the parkade (unless weather is bad); that lot is a long long walk with luggage to the front desk; keep driving to the front desk.

Location is everything. The posts over the past few years are still relevant. I've also found mechanical issues with both the Sheraton Centre and the Westin Harbour Castle. My one night at the Parkway was quiet.

If you're driving a car, and you've got family, then the downtown Sheratons are going to be a problem.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by SPG Junkie
It all depends on what you plan to do on your break. The Parkway is probably the best value, the Prince the best location for getting around by car, and the Sheraton the best all round facility. They are very, very different experiences. Each has its positives and negatives. None are all around great properties. All have great features.

Otherwise, it's hard to recommend one over the other without knowing exactly what you want to do, ie: staying put, versus sightseeing, versus shopping, versus dining, versus whatever...

Cheers,
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
I've been staying here twice a month of the last 4 months. This hotel is a bit dated but they have been updating the rooms. I'm a lowly gold aspiring to be Platinum this year for the first time but have never been upgraded to club floor. Usually I get upgraded to one bedroom suite (which is one of the newer renovated rooms). These suites are nice, plenty of room and quite comfortable. The older rooms are drab and in big time need of upgrading as they scream 70'-80's! As others have mentioned Starbucks is convent in the lobby. I've never eaten in the restaurant (other than a meeting 5 years ago). So many good asian restaurant choices in the area, why eat overpriced hotel food unless you have to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.