Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Sacramento, California (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Sacramento, California (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2008, 6:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Just a FYI - this hotel has closed permanently on 1 Aug 2008 (it will be demolished soon to make way for the new terminal.) Really, demolition was its only hope for improvement.

No news yet on what will be the new Central Terminal B hotel (about 40 months remain for the construction to finish.)

As to the Sheraton Grand Sacramento, my opinion is it is a bit of a "gut" for service employees - they pass through it pretty quickly. That may be the reason for some of the service misses.

On a historical note, this site used to be the old marketplace, and later was the Secretary of State's offices. It is steps form the Convention Center, a very few blocks to the state Capitol, and within walking distance of much of downtown Sacramento.

Originally Posted by hedoman
www.hostairporthotel.com

spooky website....spooky hotel. For the hours you're there, it might work. Very limited options if you want to spend less than $200 for this short visit.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
I'll be staying in the Sacramento area for a weekend at the end of May. Considering the generally depressed hotel rates, I'm surprised that this hotel is towards the pricier side for a Cat 3. I'm leaning more towards staying at a local HGI at half the price where I'll get a free hot breakfast. Anyone have any recent reviews of this hotel?

And on a side note, what makes this a Sheraton Grand vs a regular Sheraton?
Old May 8, 2009, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Quick answer. If it is towards the end of May it might be pricey because of the Jazz festival if they still have that going on. We leave town to avoid frankly. They have corner suites on every floor and almost without doubt get upgraded when we stay. They also have a Club lounge so you will have food as a P. The lounge is small. In terms of Grand. It is without doubt better than a regular Sheraton. Not necessarily Grand. Enjoy.
Old May 8, 2009, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
BTW. If you are thinking of the HGI Natomas. The cook makes great omelets and pancakes. Other than that just standard HGI.
Old May 8, 2009, 9:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I live about 2 miles from the Sheraton so I haven't ever stayed there (and the rates are never tempting enough for a mattress run), but Mrs. G had an event there last night and commented that the food was surprisingly tasty for a hotel ballroom affair. That said, there are plenty of great restaurants within a few blocks that are worth a visit.
Old May 11, 2009, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Stayed at the SGSac recently. On a non-club-floor rate but still paying close to $300/nt, so I asked if there was anything available on a club floor. Desk clerk at first said no, but then something made him say yes (perhaps the high rate?) Got a room on the 22nd floor, one free bottle of water. On my first morning my key did not work in the club lounge door (26th floor ... did not have to use room key to get there in elevator, despite a reader being provided for that purpose). Had to go back to the front desk to get it recoded. the lounge is quite small and the breakfast is quite minimal (small pastries, bread, coffee, juice, tea). I could not get the wireless internet to connect in the club lounge, and could not connect to the printer their either, but I found the password listed in the lounge also worked to get free wired internet in the rooms.

I found the rooms, the service, and the staff to be good overall. What I didn't expect was the number of school groups and what appeared to be low-end leisure travelers hanging out in the lobby. Not to be judgmental, but the atmosphere did not reflect what I expect when I think of a Sheraton Grand. I can only surmise that the hotel has cut its rates and has attracted more of a Holiday Inn crowd.
Old May 11, 2009, 9:47 am

The last paragraph of the previous post is very valid. The Hyatt attracts a "higher end" of clients aka lobbyists and of course Arnold.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:27 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
I spent Saturday night here. Though the Jazz Festival is going on this weekend, they upgraded me a nice "Bayview suite" on the 14th floor. Despite the name, it didn't really have any view of any water that I saw. However it was a very spacious 2-room corner suite. The larger of the windows in the living room has motorized drapes. I didn't dine at the hotel restaurant or bar but it appeared very impressive with live music and tall ceilings with chandeliers. Valet parking is $25/night.

Both rooms had 32" LCD flat screen TV's and there are easily accessible jacks to plug in laptops and camcorders. Be sure to bring your own cables though because the hotel did not have any available when I asked. I also couldn't get the audio input the work and their engineering/tech department were gone for the evening.

I share the same opinion of the lounge as jsgoldbe. It's a fairly small room with a simple assortment for a continental breakfast. All were non-hot foods except for the hard-boiled eggs. There is no computer there but there is one desk with an ethernet cable for you to plug in your own laptop.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:03 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
I'm here tonight. I'm pretty impressed with this stay.

Have a bay window suite - 2 large rooms, as above, with 37" TVs in each room. Good selection of cable channels.

I was impressed with the lounge for dinner - 2 hot dishes (crab rolls + pasta), a charcuterie plate with prosciutto, a cheese plate, large cookies, and a plate of roasted veggies. There must be an italian flavor tonight. No idea on breakfast, as I have to leave before then.

For $100 a night, totally worth it.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:27 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
I had my second stay there last Friday and Saturday nights for a friend's wedding. I'm Plat and was hoping for a nice suite upgrade so that we'd all have a good spot for an after-party, but at check-in the desk agent apologized and said they were completely booked.

And then came the real surprise: he offered me 10,000 points because he couldn't upgrade me! I was absolutely stunned, managed to stammer a "thank you very much" and enjoyed my standard room just fine.

Talk about service!
Old May 19, 2010, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Hotel on the decline

I had a stay here on Monday the 17th of May. My platinum status was recognized, and was upgraded to a suite. However I was very disapointed that the lounge is only open Tuesdays to Thursdays. That seems crazy. I asked if I can get a voucher for an appertizer at the bar on Monday night, I was told no and that it's a corporate decision. My friend was there Monday and the platinum breakfast coupon had a $12 value, I don't know what you can get for $12 in a hotel restaurant. On Tuesday morning, I went to the lounge for breakfast and what I saw was terrrible, a few boxes of cereals, some worked over fresh fruit, and a few muffins and rolls. Not very appetising at all. I know they get a lot of business from people in Sacto to lobby so they probably don't care. Not too much choice if you want to do business in the Capitol. It's the Sheraton and the Hyatt.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A question: for those of you who visit Sacramento often- would you choose the Sheraton or the Hyatt now? The Hyatt is $30 more for the dates I am looking at- if it is worth it I will stay there.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by LA2CDG
I had a stay here on Monday the 17th of May. My platinum status was recognized, and was upgraded to a suite. However I was very disapointed that the lounge is only open Tuesdays to Thursdays. That seems crazy. I asked if I can get a voucher for an appertizer at the bar on Monday night, I was told no and that it's a corporate decision. My friend was there Monday and the platinum breakfast coupon had a $12 value, I don't know what you can get for $12 in a hotel restaurant. On Tuesday morning, I went to the lounge for breakfast and what I saw was terrrible, a few boxes of cereals, some worked over fresh fruit, and a few muffins and rolls. Not very appetising at all. I know they get a lot of business from people in Sacto to lobby so they probably don't care. Not too much choice if you want to do business in the Capitol. It's the Sheraton and the Hyatt.
Actually there is a VERY nice Residence Inn just up the street from the Hyatt
Old Jul 2, 2010, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Actually there is a VERY nice Residence Inn just up the street from the Hyatt
Is the Marriott Residence Inn?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA 2MM,Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Is the Marriott Residence Inn?
The Marriott he is talking about is at 15th and L Sts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.