Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Sacramento, California (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Sacramento, California (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Good for Concention Center?

Is this walkable from the convention center - running a booth at a conference there with a coworker, and I'll need to go to my room a couple of times - how long will it take?
Old Aug 11, 2004, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
The Sheraton Grand Sacramento is right across the street from the convention center. Most times my room looks right down on the center and it's endless flashing marquee sign.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by aslsigner
I stayed there about a month ago and there was no place to sit and have a quiet conversation in any of the public areas. Very bad acoustics made it very difficult to hear. If you want to have an intitmate drink, you'll need to leave the hotel.
Actually, there is an area on the second floor above the front desk that has some chairs and pretty secluded. That's where I tell people to meet me when I'm on a club floor since they can't select those floors without a room key (although not always a show stopper).
Old Aug 11, 2004, 2:38 pm

Club floor

Am I also correct in assuming that the additional expense ($30/night) of the club floor is not worth it?
Old Aug 12, 2004, 1:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I've been upgraded several times to club floor due to Sheraton Service Promise (reserved room type was not available). IMO, the $30 up charge is not worth the thin breakfast selection unless the rate comes with other perks (e.g., free internet access, phone calls, parking, etc.).
Old Aug 16, 2004, 12:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Stayed there this past weekend. It is interesting that the garage in the hotel building is not for self-park hotel guests. Self-park guests have to park their cars at another parking garage across the street ($12 per night). Club Lounge is crowded, noisy and full of kids. Some kids and even adults don't even bother to wear shoes while eating in the club lodge.
When I checked out of the hotel, I had to stand in front of the counter for at least 30 minutes, nope, I did not wait in line for 30 minutes. It actually took more more then 30 minutes for the clerk Larry to perform the check-out for me, because he checked out a wrong room (and a wrong guest name) even though I presented him my room key in the original key envelop with the room number on it, and then he couldn't get the printer to work. He did not even bother to offer the Sheraton Service Promise. I didn't ask for Sheraton Service Promise since I was afraid it might waste even more of my time.
I do not recommend this hotel.

Last edited by Mama; Aug 16, 2004 at 5:06 pm
Old Aug 16, 2004, 12:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Also, I called the front desk from the hotel room and asked if the two bottle waters on the table were complimentary since there were no price tag (or any tag) on them. Front desk told me it was $3.50 per bottle. Ok, but why didn't they put price tags on them?

Last edited by Mama; Aug 16, 2004 at 9:25 am
Old Nov 1, 2004, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I stayed there for the first time this past weekend. Concierge called a day in advance to see if I needed any dinner reservations, etc. I parked across the street in the lot - thought about street parking (which would have been free on Saturday night/Sunday) but decided that my car windows were worth $12.

Room wasn't ready for my midday check-in (a high floor suite), but a low floor suite was available so I took it.

The lounge is SMALL, but occupancy was light, and it was neither crowded in the evening nor for breakfast. The evening selections were so so. I thought $8 for glass of simple vino was excessive. For $5, they would have probably sold us 2 or 3 glasses. For $8, they sold none. The attendants were very nice, both evening and morning. The breakfast selections were nothing special, but if the coffee is ok, so am I. The espresso machine is decent.

Gym - respectable for a hotel. Pool? If you blink, you miss it.

All the hotel staff, in fact, were very nice. I'd stay there again without hesitation.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I have had several meetings/stays here for work, and found most of the posts pretty accurate. This Sheraton is 100% better than the old facility in Rancho Cordova, so I do appreciate the nicer place.

Maybe with some luck another *Wood property will come to town.

SacFitz
Old Nov 1, 2004, 4:39 pm

Better than the Hyatt

I stayed at the Sheraton one night and the Hyatt one night on the Club Floor. I found the room in the Sheraton to be newer and more nicely appointed - even if I were not in SPG I'd stay there over the Hyatt.

One other bizarre thing that travelers may be interested in - the minimum cab fare for Sacramento is $10, even if the meter only shows $3.50. The cabbie told me it's because they have trouble getting riders; he should see the previous post about wine - he's in the wrong place on the supply/demand/price curve.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by TimMeineke
One other bizarre thing that travelers may be interested in - the minimum cab fare for Sacramento is $10, even if the meter only shows $3.50. The cabbie told me it's because they have trouble getting riders; he should see the previous post about wine - he's in the wrong place on the supply/demand/price curve.
Sounds like you ran across one of Sacramento's independents.

I believe taxis in Sacramento are deregulated, all they need to do is meet some minimum standards to get a city license. The city is currently studying the situation since they now have lots of 1 cab operators running around.

In the meantime I understand that drivers can set their own fares.

I would think a minimum fare should have been posted in the vehicle though.
Old Nov 1, 2004, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by TimMeineke
I stayed at the Sheraton one night and the Hyatt one night on the Club Floor. I found the room in the Sheraton to be newer and more nicely appointed - even if I were not in SPG I'd stay there over the Hyatt.

If you paid more than the meter, you let yourself get ripped off. I hope you didn't tip on top of that. The best thing to do in this case is explain there is a mistake and ask the nearest cop to intervene. The cabbie will settle for $3.50 since it beats his being arrested.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:44 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Was at the Sac Grand last weekend. If the $10 miniumum fare for cabs is a scam then it is a bold one - cabs have this printed in large letters on a sticker on the door....

As SPG Corporate Preferred (ha ha ha, laugh away at my lowly status ) I got a room on the 23rd floor and 2 bottles of water. View nice, overall hotel has a nice feel, furniture/fittings in the room are one step up from knotted pine stuff but the bed is great.

No minibar - why is this such an issue for US hotels....don't they make money on this?
Old Mar 1, 2005, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by aussieinsf
Was at the Sac Grand last weekend.
Ahh...I was there during the first weekend in February.

If the $10 miniumum fare for cabs is a scam then it is a bold one - cabs have this printed in large letters on a sticker on the door....
Hmmm....

I took a cab from the Sacramento Amtrak station (it was at night and I had 2 pieces of luggage + a shopping bag ....otherwise I would have walked ) to this hotel and the cab fare that I was charged came to slightly under $7.00....which I thought was already quite high considering the distance between the train station and the hotel.

When we left the train station, the meter was already on $6.00

As SPG Corporate Preferred (ha ha ha, laugh away at my lowly status ) I got a room on the 23rd floor and 2 bottles of water. View nice, overall hotel has a nice feel, furniture/fittings in the room are one step up from knotted pine stuff but the bed is great.
As a Gold, I was also put on the 23rd floor (IIRC, 2318) and was quite satisfied with my room, especially for the fact that it was high up and had that great bed that I've come to like very much when staying at a Sheraton.

I had no problem with requesting a late checkout (11PM red-eye flight out of SAC on Delta..connecting in ATL)....unlike back in January when I was at the Sheraton New Orleans.

Also, all of the staff that I dealt with during my short stay were quite pleasant.

All in all....I would definitely stay there again during my next visit to Sacramento.

It's too bad that I might not make it back there before the end of this month as I was signed up for the "1-2-3" multiple stay promotion.

A.J.

Last edited by Bulldog King; Mar 1, 2005 at 2:28 pm
Old Mar 27, 2005, 2:40 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Any reviews on Sheraton Grand Sacramento?

I tried the google search, but only found one thread about 4 years old from when this property first opened.

I have a family wedding to attend next weekend and was considering staying in Sacramento for the evening as the wedding festivities are scheduled to last through the evening. Anyhow some are staying at Hyatt which I think is right down the block.

Just wondering if anyone has anything worth noting about the Sheraton Grand Sacramento? If anyone has stayed there as a Platinum, were you able to get upgraded to a suite?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.