Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Can/should I sue Marriott for its own terms violations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can/should I sue Marriott for its own terms violations?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2024, 4:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
I'm guessing so. OP is Titanium, not Ambassador, so it's probably the case that a lot of these points are not from hotel spend. Maybe there is a fear that there are a large number of CC purchases that accrued a lot of points and the purchases could be refunded, and Marriott unable to claw back the points if they were already redeemed for these upcoming stays.
in a typical year I would have enough cobranded cc spend to qualify for titanium (give or take a few nights) without stepping foot in a hotel, same level as the OP, so i doubt thats it ,especially since I'm by no means a big fish. in the waining days of spg I remember talk of people getting 25 million points in a year from credit card spend.
SPN Lifer and DallasEsq like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Still crickets from the OP...maybe he got an emergency injunction from the Supreme Court and it's all good now for him...?
Adam1222 and samosa like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QRPC PLT/OW EMD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Smiley90
If OP is trying to funnel points from a dying person in order to avoid the points being distributed in a will, I'd guess Marriott had every right to perform an audit to investigate possible fraud.
If this is what he's trying to do, the Marriott security team is the least of his problems. The attorney licensing authority in his state will be very interested in his quest, particularly if he succeeds. It could cost him his license to practice law. After rereading the entire thread, I've come to the conclusion that he's not an attorney.

(ETA: As I put in my pleadings where appropriate, the masculine is intended to include the feminine and the feminine is intended to include the masculine.)

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Apr 5, 2024 at 7:19 pm
Old Apr 4, 2024, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
How did you deduce the gender of the original poster (OP)? From the caregiving comments, I had presumed female.
​​​​​​
Also, non-litigators are obviously less familiar with courtroom practices, though they should be equally familiar with ethical canons.

We have had a (deceased) immigration lawyer, a very active FlyerTalker, disbarred and then commit suicide within the past year. So not all attorneys keep legal ethics at the forefront of their practice. Especially if it is part time or they are inactive.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Apr 4, 2024 at 11:27 pm
Old Apr 5, 2024, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
How did you deduce the gender of the original poster (OP)? From the caregiving comments, I had presumed female.
Point taken, correction made.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 5:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
I’m not a lawyer but I don’t take sides in a matter when few details are known and only one side of the story. We don’t know the total points let alone the transaction data, and don’t expect Marriott or any company to divulge details or make speculative statements while an investigation is in progress.

if the OP wants to share the final ruling with the explanation from Marriott, then perhaps an opinion can be formulated.
SPN Lifer and SacTownGuy like this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 7:49 am
Formerly known as tireman77

A wiser man than I once told me: "don't be misled by too much evidence."
quinella66 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 9:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks,

A number of off-topic and "gets popcorn"-style posts that discuss the poster rather than the topic have been removed per the FT "If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post." rule.

/mod
Old Apr 5, 2024, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Edited by op- already said by others
Old Apr 5, 2024, 10:53 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
If Bonvoy really had a policy of freezing and auditing every account that earned over xx million points in a year, it surely would have come up on FT many many many times by now. Ergo, there is clearly some other reason OP is being audited, despite what the phone rep may have told them.
Steve M and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I hope OP can come back and tell us how many points he/she is talking about.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 11:55 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I posted my earned points totals from last year in 2023 Marriott Bonvoy Year in Review - it seems rather obvious to me that this isn’t some sort of policy change or increase in audits for those who earn over a set threshold of points from actual hotel stays or typical monthly CC spend.
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
These kinds of threads usually make for interesting reading, and this one doesn't disappoint. And as someone else pointed out, there is a familiar pattern, which includes lack of enough specifics for us to form an opinion as to what we think about what happened (which admittedly is not what the OP was seeking). I have no reason to doubt the genuineness of the OP, and I understand why they may not want to share some of the details of their situation. But it does make me speculate. If there is an annual amount of credit that triggers and automatic audit, what is that amount? I've exceeded 1 million in one year more than once, and assuming that stant's factoid is true, 2.5 million doesn't trigger it either. I can't help but wonder how big the amount is that the OP is talking about, and how they came about them. If it was less than 2.5 million, then I think the notion of a fixed annual credit amount being the trigger of the OP's situation is debunked. If it was more than that, it sure would be interesting to know what it is (once again I understand why the OP may not want to share the amount, but they could at least confirm if it was above or below 2.5 million). I also have to wonder if the method of earning them matters as far as triggering an audit. For example, are transfers from Amex MR treated differently than credit card spend? I think the reason that many of us are interested in these details is we'd like to know if there is in fact an automatic audit trigger for our own situations, not just to pass judgement on the OP. If there was, it would be good to know, and learning more about the loyalty programs is a big part of why many of us read these threads, in addition to what the OP was asking for which was to get opinions on whether or not they should sue over the matter.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Something just occurred to me. If OP earned those point from staying at hotels, that must have been a pretty high total spend, which implies that OP's financial situation is at minimum comfortable, if not wealthy. Which brings me back to the question, how is it that OP cannot afford to pay for his hotel stay in order to be with his ill/dying family member while Marriott sorts this out?
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and andrewstahl like this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 8:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, UAL Lifetime Gold
Good point …
andrewstahl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.