Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Can/should I sue Marriott for its own terms violations?

Can/should I sue Marriott for its own terms violations?

Old Apr 4, 2024, 6:28 am
soy

Programs: various
Something is off here.
  • Complete lack of details from OP
  • Rapid accumulation of points to a level which triggered flags at Marriott
  • Corresponding urgent need to spend large amounts of points right now
This is not normal. For most people who are accruing points at such a rate, it would be no big deal to have a temporary freeze on spending points. For anybody with lots of hotel stays another opportunity to spend the points will be along shortly.
So there has to be something odd about how these points were obtained.
DJ_Iceman, Adam1222, nacho and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SuchThrill
You're wrong when you "guess" I have something to hide. Your guess is just wrong. I'm adamant about accessing my points because I need them imminently for travel and have been exceptionally loyal and high-earning, and deserve access. I've given you no indication I've done anything wrong, and for you to shruggingly "guess" otherwise is poor judgment and misplaced. I'm a legit, high-integrity member.
You came here to seek guidance. When asked some fairly basic questions to help this group ascertain why this happened and what your options may be, you refuse to provide additional detail.

Are you actually seeking input or just looking for a void to yell into?
Old Apr 4, 2024, 7:26 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Actually I'm rather composed and rational and have very good blood pressure. Would you counsel similar complacency and resignation to other people whose rights are violated and who know and practice contract law like I do? My points are valued very high, and I need access immediately for urgent travel. That access is being withheld.
If you "know and practice contract law" so well, it is strange to come on a non-legal forum and ask people if you "can/should" file a lawsuit. (Not sure you know/practice Maryland contract law, of course, which is the only law relevant here given the choice of law provision.)

As for the merits, the contract explicitly says Marriott may suspend, cancel, etc any points or account "For any reason and in the Company's sole discretion."

As for "urgent travel", I would think anyone who practices law would know that asking a court to prioritize a case seeking ... access to Marriott points is not likely to result in a quickly issued preliminary injunction or temporary restraining order.

Of course, you *can* do anything you want so long as you pay the cost of filing. And, since there's a forum selection clause, it would have to be in Maryland. As such, odd that a lawyer would be talking about getting an injunction in small claims court -- since Maryland small claims court lacks jurisdiction to do so. Filing in a court of general jurisdiction, of course, risks a Public decision with your name explaining exactly what you did here - available to your prospective clients.

Last edited by Adam1222; Apr 4, 2024 at 7:45 am
Old Apr 4, 2024, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Small claims court decisions are not published when they're sent for arbitration by the SCC judge. The arbitrator can rule on matters without publishing the ruling.
In other words, you have absolutely nothing to support your claim.

Gotta love the internet!
Old Apr 4, 2024, 8:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by KingCanute
An Ambassador with no Bonvoy CCs, who never registers for promotions, and who never chooses points as a welcome gift, would earn 402,500 points a year just by spending exactly $23k to qualify. In reality many will earn a lot more than that, and some over 1 million a year, seemingly without audit at that level if the lack of reports here are anything to go by.
2.5 million for me last year. no problems earning more. in fact some properties call me up just to say hello if I havent stayed with them in a while.
KRSW and SacTownGuy like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by stant
2.5 million for me last year. no problems earning more. in fact some properties call me up just to say hello if I havent stayed with them in a while.
Over 2.5 million (if that's the annual trigger point for an audit) is an awful lot to earn (or even accrue) and still be titanium.

And that's not judging, just highlighting the about all this...

Last edited by KingCanute; Apr 4, 2024 at 8:45 am
Old Apr 4, 2024, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Over 2.5 million (if that's the annual trigger point for an audit) is an awful lot to earn (or even accrue) and still be titanium.....
Depends on how much of the 2.5MM is from credit cards or other promos.
margarita girl and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 9:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Over 2.5 million (if that's the annual trigger point for an audit) is an awful lot to earn (or even accrue) and still be titanium.

not really as you could do 100 reward nights and earn the majority via credit card spend and never spend a penny towards the $23k
Old Apr 4, 2024, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Just curious : does this "creative transfers" thread indicate that Marriott Audit may have reasons other than "high earning" to take an interest in this account ?

AmEx Rewards Points upon death - Page 2 - FlyerTalk Forums
If OP is trying to funnel points from a dying person in order to avoid the points being distributed in a will, I'd guess Marriott had every right to perform an audit to investigate possible fraud. There's a reason why I can't legally convince my grandpa with Alzheimers to give me his mansion for free before he dies so no other family member gets it in a will.
samosa likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
not really as you could do 100 reward nights and earn the majority via credit card spend and never spend a penny towards the $23k
CC spend counts towards AMB qualification? I did not know that. I'm being massively ripped off!! (not joking)

Last edited by KingCanute; Apr 4, 2024 at 3:47 pm
Old Apr 4, 2024, 10:47 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Smiley90
If OP is trying to funnel points from a dying person in order to avoid the points being distributed in a will, I'd guess Marriott had every right to perform an audit to investigate possible fraud. There's a reason why I can't legally convince my grandpa with Alzheimers to give me his mansion for free before he dies so no other family member gets it in a will.
Indeed, if I were an attorney as OP professes, I would worry about consequences far greater than losing Marriott points from engaging in such conduct
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 11:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!

it's even more when you consider the OP supposedly desperately needs the points for award stays. if your need is so urgent book with cash. maybe the op can make ambassador
Old Apr 4, 2024, 11:38 am

CC spend counts towards AMB qualification? I did not know that. I'm being massively ripped off!! (not joking)
the fellow you are responding to is not an ambassador, and in this case, it shows

no. cc spend does not count towards the 23k.

you can get out of the 100 night stay requirement by spend. you get 1 night credit for every 5k spend on a boundless card.
you still would need the 23k spend. but if you really wanted to, you could easily do that in a night or three. Not sure what the point would be if you only spend three nights a year in a bonvoy property, but whatever floats your boat.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 1:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by soy
This is not normal. For most people who are accruing points at such a rate, it would be no big deal to have a temporary freeze on spending points. For anybody with lots of hotel stays another opportunity to spend the points will be along shortly.
So there has to be something odd about how these points were obtained.
I'm guessing so. OP is Titanium, not Ambassador, so it's probably the case that a lot of these points are not from hotel spend. Maybe there is a fear that there are a large number of CC purchases that accrued a lot of points and the purchases could be refunded, and Marriott unable to claw back the points if they were already redeemed for these upcoming stays.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Actually I'm rather composed and rational and have very good blood pressure. Would you counsel similar complacency and resignation to other people whose rights are violated and who know and practice contract law like I do? My points are valued very high, and I need access immediately for urgent travel. That access is being withheld.
Ah, yes. Please threaten to sue them.
Adam1222 and billdokes like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.