Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Can/should I sue Marriott for its own terms violations?

Can/should I sue Marriott for its own terms violations?

Old Apr 6, 2024, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Something just occurred to me. If OP earned those point from staying at hotels, that must have been a pretty high total spend, which implies that OP's financial situation is at minimum comfortable, if not wealthy. Which brings me back to the question, how is it that OP cannot afford to pay for his hotel stay in order to be with his ill/dying family member while Marriott sorts this out?
Just because you stay at high end hotels doesn't make you rich. Remember Anna Delvey? You can blow your pay check to buy a first class ticket and the rest of your credit in your credit card to go to luxury store and dress yourself up like a rich person.

I suspect Marriott flagged his account due to transfer points from cc or airline miles to his/her/whatever MB account.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nacho
I suspect Marriott flagged his account due to transfer points from cc or airline miles to his/her/whatever MB account.
Who knows. Could also be sales of points or stays and that's why OP needs them right now.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Who knows. Could also be sales of points or stays and that's why OP needs them right now.
Anything is possible.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 9:01 am
Formerly known as tireman77

I suggest we not speculate on what triggered the freeze as it will simply end in trying the OP in the court of public opinion and humans that never ends well for anybody. I suspect Marriott had reason to freeze and perhaps OP is genuine in their claim of not doing anything that warrants a freezing of the points.

That being said, and to get back to the question at hand, I don't think involving lawyers will help the OP in any way as Marriott is well within their rights. Sit, wait and if the points are unfrozen and OP proven correct, then OP has a case for compensation request and get more points.

SuchThrill please get back to us with the outcome, we'd all like to know what triggered the issue and how it was resolved.

All that being said, I suspect we may never know the outcome.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post # 94)
I don't think involving lawyers will help the OP in any way as Marriott is well within their rights. Sit, wait and if the points are unfrozen and OP proven correct, then OP has a case for compensation request and get more points.
And start the belated process of diversifying into a second hotel chain.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by PLeblond
I suggest we not speculate on what triggered the freeze as it will simply end in trying the OP in the court of public opinion and humans that never ends well for anybody. I suspect Marriott had reason to freeze and perhaps OP is genuine in their claim of not doing anything that warrants a freezing of the points.

That being said, and to get back to the question at hand, I don't think involving lawyers will help the OP in any way as Marriott is well within their rights. Sit, wait and if the points are unfrozen and OP proven correct, then OP has a case for compensation request and get more points.

SuchThrill please get back to us with the outcome, we'd all like to know what triggered the issue and how it was resolved.

All that being said, I suspect we may never know the outcome.
OP asked for input but refuses to answer the relevant questions so we're left with nothing BUT speculation.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
OP asked for input but refuses to answer the relevant questions so we're left with nothing BUT speculation.
Then we need to be mature adults and refrain from speculating. And yes, I know that's asking a lot from the FT community.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Then we need to be mature adults and refrain from speculating. And yes, I know that's asking a lot from the FT community.
You might as well ask for the forum to be closed, then. Speculation based on evidence (or not) is 90% of posts, be it new hotel openings, flight incidents, whether flight deals get honored, what seats a new plane type is going to install, new routes being announced, routes getting closed, etc. etc. If OP didn't want us to speculate, they could've provided more facts or not posted vague in the first place, is how I see it. The first post may as well read "please speculate".
Old Apr 6, 2024, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
You might as well ask for the forum to be closed, then. Speculation based on evidence (or not) is 90% of posts, be it new hotel openings, flight incidents, whether flight deals get honored, what seats a new plane type is going to install, new routes being announced, routes getting closed, etc. etc. If OP didn't want us to speculate, they could've provided more facts or not posted vague in the first place, is how I see it. The first post may as well read "please speculate".
I see a difference between speculating on upcoming programmes and accusing someone of (or even insinuating) fraudulent behaviour without a shred of proof other than their silence. If I recall, in the US it's the first thing they tell someone when they're accused of a crime, but I digress

As for flight incidents, there are actual pilots and controllers here and I appreciate their input, but 98%+ of the comments are from people who are knowledgeable about being a passenger, and little more, thus leading to ignorant conclusions and things like the recent overreaction of United/Boeing in the media.

Indeed a very large portion (90%+) of what is posted on Flyertalk simply fuels my ever increasing misanthropic tendencies so I guess I should not be surprised by threads mostly turning ugly... it's what humans do, most especially when posting behind the protection of handles.

I guess I was naively hoping for a glimmer of hope for our species, but once again, I'll just leave this thread and let you all enjoy the tar and feathering of OP.

Have a great rest of day.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Just because you stay at high end hotels doesn't make you rich. Remember Anna Delvey?
Anna Delvey was, at best, a grifter, and more realistically, a thief and fraudster. I don't see any evidence that that is what's going on here.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anna Delvey was, at best, a grifter, and more realistically, a thief and fraudster. I don't see any evidence that that is what's going on here.
Yes she is. I'm trying to make a point that just because one has stayed a lot at high end hotels doesn't mean that person is well-off.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:30 am

I see a difference between speculating on upcoming programmes and accusing someone of (or even insinuating) fraudulent behaviour without a shred of proof other than their silence
I do not disagree with you.

But in this case the OP has explicitly stated that they started this thread in order to create some sort of legal discovery mechanism that would demonstrate they have acted in good faith to resolve this matter. But without providing any of the detail required to demonstrate their clear good faith and standing to any mythical Reasonable Person...

Any subsequent "piling in" is likely a consequence of that lack of detail. Detail which would be required in court or arbitration

Last edited by KingCanute; Apr 6, 2024 at 11:56 pm
Old Apr 6, 2024, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by KingCanute
But in this case the OP has explicitly stated that they started this thread in order to create some sort of legal discovery mechanism that would demonstrate they have acted in good faith to resolve this matter. But without providing any of the detail required to demonstrate their clear good faith and standing to any mythical Reasonable Person...
This is a really good point.

If the goal really was to create a record that the overwhelming advice from FT was "sue!" than I have to question whether OP has any legal training at all. Because there's no way that posts from an anonymous internet forum would be admissible for that purpose.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Yes she is. I'm trying to make a point that just because one has stayed a lot at high end hotels doesn't mean that person is well-off.
If OP stayed at the hotels and didn't pay for the stays, s/he wouldn't have earned any points.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 7:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
If OP stayed at the hotels and didn't pay for the stays, s/he wouldn't have earned any points.
Not many but you get welcome points and for F&B/spa etc spend etc and ofcourse credit card spend (I know thats where the majority of my points come from)
Radiation Station likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.