Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hacked and Marriott won’t fully help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2024, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold

Last weekend someone got access to my Marriott account (luckily no other accessed accounts). They cancelled all of my Marriott reservations I saw the cancellations come through my email and I tried to get into my Marriott account and I was locked out as the individual changed everything

I called Marriott and explained the situation and tried to get my reservations back They offered to get my reservation for tonight back but I had to pay $200 more because they had to do the 48 hour override

then the Marriott I’m staying at said they wont honor the reservation because it’s sold out they would give me a king bed but not 2 doubles —we have 4 in the party Is t that what the guarantee is for?

In addition. I booked a weekend for a football game this fall with miles last September. I waited until exactly 330 days before and guessed correctly that it would be a home game Now Marriott won’t honor that reservation. They told me that I needed to call within a couple of hours of the cancellation. I did this but when I called Sunday they told me to just worry about this weeks reservations and call back later for the others.

the other reservations. Again. I need to pay more than $100 per reservation as I booked early

anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Has anyone encountered this and been able to get the original price back of their hotel rooms?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:53 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Fred 3
Last weekend someone got access to my Marriott account (luckily no other accessed accounts). They cancelled all of my Marriott reservations I saw the cancellations come through my email and I tried to get into my Marriott account and I was locked out as the individual changed everything

I called Marriott and explained the situation and tried to get my reservations back They offered to get my reservation for tonight back but I had to pay $200 more because they had to do the 48 hour override

then the Marriott I’m staying at said they wont honor the reservation because it’s sold out they would give me a king bed but not 2 doubles —we have 4 in the party Is t that what the guarantee is for?

In addition. I booked a weekend for a football game this fall with miles last September. I waited until exactly 330 days before and guessed correctly that it would be a home game Now Marriott won’t honor that reservation. They told me that I needed to call within a couple of hours of the cancellation. I did this but when I called Sunday they told me to just worry about this weeks reservations and call back later for the others.

the other reservations. Again. I need to pay more than $100 per reservation as I booked early

anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Has anyone encountered this and been able to get the original price back of their hotel rooms?
This is why you need to have 2 Factor Authentication on your account.
I don't see how this is Marriott's fault. Somebody got your Password and logged into your Account.
Hopefully, they were not able to use your Points for some Gift Cards or something.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
It's very odd that someone would go into your account just to cancel your reservations. And why would anyone cancel your cash bookings? Could it be someone you know who has an axe to grind?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 1:42 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by margarita girl
It's very odd that someone would go into your account just to cancel your reservations. And why would anyone cancel your cash bookings? Could it be someone you know who has an axe to grind?
Yes something is weird here.
billdokes and Mr. Vker like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Yes something is weird here.
Sounds more like something the Marriott Zombie would do (except the Zombie reawakens canceled reservations from the dead)! Their IT has been acting up lately.

Last edited by margarita girl; Mar 23, 2024 at 10:08 am
Old Mar 22, 2024, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yes, definitely weird. A hacker - at least one who's done it before - would want to cancel as little as possible to avoid the account holder receiving lots of emails from Marriott all at once and being alerted to the hack.

It sounds like something someone going through a bad divorce might do out of spite.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium United Silver
Unfortunately there is nothing Marriott can do, once the reservation is cancelled it cannot be undone. Creating a new reservation number would be subject to the new rates set by the individual hotels not by Marriott HQ.

Please setup two factor authentication and add a passcode for calling in as well.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Actually it's not odd. If you would log into my account, you will find only 20,000 points available. But, I have 15 reservations using 500,000 points (award stays). Thus, if a hacker wants to drain me of my points, he/she first needs to cancel my reservations and then use those points for Gift Cards etc. They also normally don't know whether a reservation is paid or with points until they dig into details. If I was hacking, I would probably just cancel all reservations in one go.
But again it could be someone who he know who could have done it.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DFWsakp
Actually it's not odd. If you would log into my account, you will find only 20,000 points available. But, I have 15 reservations using 500,000 points (award stays). Thus, if a hacker wants to drain me of my points, he/she first needs to cancel my reservations and then use those points for Gift Cards etc. They also normally don't know whether a reservation is paid or with points until they dig into details. If I was hacking, I would probably just cancel all reservations in one go.
OP didn’t say anything about stolen points, just canceled reservations. It’s all very strange.
TerryK, billdokes and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
I’ve tried several times to turn 2 factor on - including again yesterday prompted by this post. It always sends me a passcode then tells me “this feature not available. Try again later.” To paraphrase. Two factor slider is then again off.

what’s the secret sauce?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
OP - did you use a strong, randomly generated password for your Marriott account that was not used now or ever for other accounts you have somewhere? A truly strong password is hard to guess for sites like Bonvoy, but if it is also used for other sites, the risk increases as password files get stolen and sold.
ofj likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can a reservation be retrieved and cancelled with just the confirmation number and last name?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium United Silver
Originally Posted by username
Can a reservation be retrieved and cancelled with just the confirmation number and last name?
Yes you can. That is why I 10000000000% recommend the call in passcode. All you would need is basic details like a reservation number, name, and basic information. If your account is under a passcode they cannot modify or create new reservations.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I agree. I'm in a similar position. I have way more points tied up with upcoming reservations than actual usable points in my account. If someone hacked into my account then they would be able to gain maximum benefit after cancelling all those upcoming reservations.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 1:36 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
This is why you need to have 2 Factor Authentication on your account.
I don't see how this is Marriott's fault. Somebody got your Password and logged into your Account.
Hopefully, they were not able to use your Points for some Gift Cards or something.

I HATE 2FA on marriott...it is EVERY time. Can i turn it off?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.