Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

No umbrellas... but we'll rent you one.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No umbrellas... but we'll rent you one.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 3:39 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
What's next?

Pay Ice Machines?
[..]
Already happening at Aloft Bangkok
Old Mar 5, 2024, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Already happening at Aloft Bangkok
I remember having to pay for ice in fleabag motels in the 1980s...
Old Mar 5, 2024, 5:10 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by KRSW
I remember having to pay for ice in fleabag motels in the 1980s...
Yep, had to put a quarter in the machine. And I don't think I ever came upon one that worked. Sometimes that meant the ice was free, sometimes it meant there was no ice to be taken.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Most Marriotts in the UK are all owned by the same company. They have tried do things like standardise the food menu across all hotels and also reduce the number of GMs (one GM across multiple properties).

Therefore I'm not surprised this is across a lot of the UK properties.

T

Last edited by toothy; Mar 8, 2024 at 1:53 pm
Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Any hotel that goes in that direction needs to have that reflected in a lower room rate for me to ever stay more than once.
If you consider the costs involved in buying, maintaining and operating this contraption and its umbrellas, they must surely be more than the revenue from the occasional £2 rental. *Someone* is paying for this. Let's guess who ....
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
If you consider the costs involved in buying, maintaining and operating this contraption and its umbrellas, they must surely be more than the revenue from the occasional £2 rental. *Someone* is paying for this. Let's guess who ....
Probably a VC company who thought it would be a good idea to back an "umbrella as a service" company.
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably a VC company who thought it would be a good idea to back an "umbrella as a service" company.
"Disrupting the rainfall protection market with AI powered innovation"
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
If it was really VC backed, it’d cost them $5 to rent out the umbrella, they’d charge $0.99 to rent it, and SoftBank would give them $300 million to scale it. If it doesn’t implode, once they corner the UAAS market, they’ll start charging $20 for an hour’s rental.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:05 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by xooz
I can't be the only one who packs a small collapsible umbrella. There are many things to complain about as regards declining customer service, but free umbrellas is pretty low on my list, though to be fair, I might expect it at a luxury hotel. Not sure Marriott in Manchester quite reaches that lofty height.
It's always on our list to pack. If we do remember, it never rains. When we don't . . . it pours
Old Mar 5, 2024, 11:18 am

I think this is the company providing the umbrellas: https://www.dripdrop.io/hotel-umbrellas

I guess they offer the service free to hotels, making money from the rental and non-return charges. Their case study is a hotel in London with 1019 rooms generating 145 rentals per week (from 3 stands).
SPN Lifer and margarita girl like this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
They should put those machines in tube stations and allow returns at any other location.
SPN Lifer and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 8420PR
I think this is the company providing the umbrellas: https://www.dripdrop.io/hotel-umbrellas
I guess they offer the service free to hotels, making money from the rental and non-return charges. Their case study is a hotel in London with 1019 rooms generating 145 rentals per week (from 3 stands).
That's only 20 rentals or £40 a day. And no doubt they kick-back a portion to the hotels. After that cost and servicing costs, that doesn't seem like there's a lot of profit in this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by SFO777
That's only 20 rentals or £40 a day. And no doubt they kick-back a portion to the hotels. After that cost and servicing costs, that doesn't seem like there's a lot of profit in this.
Are you sure about that?

I'd take that math - assume it was in the US: $40/day = $14600/yr...how many umbrella's in the stand? 10? 20? What's the average cost of the umbrella bought in bulk - $10? Assume the non-return fee is at lease the cost of the Umbrella, so that's a wash. Cost of the stand with built in POS capability - $1k? Service cost $100/month = $1200 - split it 50/50 with the property...why would they not be in, and why would I not want to do this?

Seems like pretty easy money to me.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.