Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : The Marriott Bonvoy "Ultimate Reservation Guarantee"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 5, 2022, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Ultimate reservation guarantee for the Bonvoy program:
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...i#Arrival_gift
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam

Staying at a CY in Houston that says the Plat welcome gift is a choice of 500 points or a $10 FB credit max for the stay and regardless of our double occupancy. From the rules, it’s supposed to be a choice of 500 points per stay or $10 FB credit per guest (max 2 guests) per day. Reached out to the Bonvoy Assist via twitter but no response. In these circumstances, how do I collect on the $50 elite compensation benefit and also ensure that the correct FB credit is provided? I’ve stayed at this hotel many times previously and their staff have been told that the FB credit is only per stay, not per night. The staff here are awesome, BTW. Great hotel, other than what I assume is a misunderstanding of the benefit.

Moderator Note :
This thread was restarted upon the launch of Marriott Bonvoy.

Pre-Bonvoy discussion is here :
FAQ : Marriott "The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" (pre-Bonvoy) - FlyerTalk Forums

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jun 5, 2022 at 7:04 am Reason: Add moderator note
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:03 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Staying at a CY in Houston that says the Plat welcome gift is a choice of 500 points or a $10 FB credit max for the stay and regardless of our double occupancy. From the rules, it’s supposed to be a choice of 500 points per stay or $10 FB per guest (max 2 guests) per day. Reached out to the Bonvoy Assist via twitter but no response. In these circumstances, how do I collect on the elite compensation benefit and also ensure that the correct FB credit is provided? I’ve stayed at this hotel many times previously and their staff have been told that the FB credit is per stay, not per night.
If you can send us the details on this (confirmation #, hotel name, etc.), we will have the Loyalty Performance team follow up with them.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Just sent you a DM. Is the appropriate approach for this type of situation to DM to you or the Twitter team? Or to ask for the hotel GM?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Ask for the hotel GM. The guarantee has to be asked for before you leave the property. You can show the GM the appropriate T&Cs/guarantee verbiage, ask him for the $50, & tell him to educate his FDCs.

Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
If you can send us the details on this (confirmation #, hotel name, etc.), we will have the Loyalty Performance team follow up with them.
Is there an email address for that team, so one may deal directly with them anytime an issue comes up?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:27 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Is there an email address for that team, so one may deal directly with them anytime an issue comes up?
No. But, we would be pleased to forward any issues that fall within their scope of expertise.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
No. But, we would be pleased to forward any issues that fall within their scope of expertise.
All right then...
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:48 am

If you check in via the app it defaults to the points and clearly states if you want something different, you need to ask. The $50 compensation would be if you asked for breakfast and they said they do not provide breakfast. They should ask what you would like but this isn't "they didn't ask, hand me $50" rather I asked and they did not have the amenity per the T&Cs.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
If you check in via the app it defaults to the points and clearly states if you want something different, you need to ask. The $50 compensation would be if you asked for breakfast and they said they do not provide breakfast. They should ask what you would like but this isn't "they didn't ask, hand me $50" rather I asked and they did not have the amenity per the T&Cs.
Did you read what they wrote? The problem is that the hotel is offering $10 F&B flat, not $10 per person, per day.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:42 am
Original Poster

I didn’t use the app. Regular check in. It was my understanding that the different elite compensations kick in when any of brand benefits aren’t offered at check in, and it’s not just for a breakfast amenity.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by jdj84
Did you read what they wrote? The problem is that the hotel is offering $10 F&B flat, not $10 per person, per day.
No, I just randomly posted an incoherent thought to a random thread. Where am I!?!?!

I would say a front desk agent was confused on the terms but not necessarily the hotel. It would have been as simple as pulling up this page: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi and show them the section of referring to the +1 for breakfast.

Unfortunately, the most ambiguous part of the T&Cs is how to get the compensation. Most would say you need to ask for a manager, on the spot, to claim the compensation since Marriott has no retroactive way of claiming. Since the OP did not do this, there's really nothing to claim. Hopefully as soon as a manager was involved they would have quickly resolved the issue and retrained the Front Desk Associate.

Nothing to see here. Hotels will always play fast and loose with the T&Cs and it's up to the customer to enforce them.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
No, I just randomly posted an incoherent thought to a random thread. Where am I!?!?!

I would say a front desk agent was confused on the terms but not necessarily the hotel. It would have been as simple as pulling up this page: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi and show them the section of referring to the +1 for breakfast.

Unfortunately, the most ambiguous part of the T&Cs is how to get the compensation. Most would say you need to ask for a manager, on the spot, to claim the compensation since Marriott has no retroactive way of claiming. Since the OP did not do this, there's really nothing to claim. Hopefully as soon as a manager was involved they would have quickly resolved the issue and retrained the Front Desk Associate.

Nothing to see here. Hotels will always play fast and loose with the T&Cs and it's up to the customer to enforce them.
This is the first time I've ever read any suggestion that you need to immediately request the manager to make the claim.

My understanding is that you notify the property whilst you are staying there to make the request. It doesn't have to be an immediate action. I've done this once at a FS Marriott via email. It took them a little bit of time to respond, but they honored the claim and paid me $100 in cash when I arrived for my next stay without any question. I honestly found the cash payout very bizarre and regretted not asking for 15,000-20,000 points instead, but they abided by the terms of the program.

Therefore, my advice to the OP, as others have said, is to raise to the GM before your departure. Unless you really want the 50 bucks, be prepared to negotiate if you would value points more.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've never made a claim, but my impression is that it must be done before checking out, and not necessarily by contacting a manager. You could just tell the front desk agent before you start to check out.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've never made a claim, but my impression is that it must be done before checking out, and not necessarily by contacting a manager. You could just tell the front desk agent before you start to check out.
This seem a bit ambitious to ask a Front Desk associate for $50 on a claim they do not believe is false. If they don't understand the basics of the T&Cs, why would you presume they would know the compensation for Marriott's Elite Guarantees?

In the end, if you truly want the benefit, I would ask for a manager on the spot. If they do not understand the T&Cs, show them the website and I'm sure they will be happy to oblige.

If you're looking for points / financial compensation, wait until you checkout. I just don't think it's in good faith unless the property is truly trying to get out of providing elite benefits.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It could be a different front desk agent or the front desk agent could realize that he/she made a mistake. If this doesn't happen, then you ask for the manager but if they say no manager is available, I think you've preserved your rights to the money according to the rules by speaking to the front desk person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.