Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

No umbrellas... but we'll rent you one.

Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

Marriott's petty cheapness apparently knows no end. At Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert...

Old Mar 3, 2024, 12:04 am

2 ain't bad for two days. At least ensures some accountability. Heck I'd pay that just to avoid having to hit up the front desk or talk to staff at all.
dw, ntamayo, SPN Lifer and 23 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 12:28 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I wonder if it's individual properties' decision (rather than corporate) to charge for umbrella rental. Has anyone seen this at other Marriott properties?

LAX
Old Mar 3, 2024, 2:19 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
They have this at the Marriot Maida Vale in the UK too.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 2:48 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by applesauce
2 ain't bad for two days. At least ensures some accountability. Heck I'd pay that just to avoid having to hit up the front desk or talk to staff at all.
You shouldn't have to talk to the front desk to get an umbrella, it should already be in your room at anything allegedly 'full service' four star or above (Marriott / Hilton etc.); do guests need to rent the towels to make sure they don't go missing next?

Particularly in Manchester where rain is virtually guaranteed at this time of year...
Old Mar 3, 2024, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this is a UK wide thing - my regular Moxy has it and the Marriott Leeds too. In a Moxy or other limited service brand it seems a smart thing to offer. In a Marriott that's ostensibly 4* or above it just looks cheap.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I have seen it at some UK Hiltons also ( Canary Wharf if memory serves)- agree that it looks cheap in a 4*+ hotel

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:42 am

Programs: AA PLT
Its the sort of nickel and diming that would make me question dropping hundreds of pounds on a room.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 5:59 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
There was a gratis umbrella in my room at the Sheraton Grand Park Lane a couple of weeks ago. It came in handy when my old travel umbrella gave up the ghost.
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:10 am

I'm OK with this. Stayed at the Hilton Belfast recently. I always travel with a small umbrella. I was thankful to be able to rent a heavy-duty umbrella in the lobby because the travel umbrella wasn't going to make it with the wind! I did wonder as to how the return of the umbrella was enforced. (I am guessing that when the 24 hours was up, the umbrella somehow locked.)
jamiel likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:17 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I have seen it at some UK Hiltons also ( Canary Wharf if memory serves)- agree that it looks cheap in a 4*+ hotel

Regards

TBS
Canary Wharf Marriott have this. And why not? They once had umbrellas in every room, but people took them away
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:30 am

Programs: DL, B6
Brussels Renaissance too

Not just a UK thing FYI; spotted one at the end of December. Some legitimate reasoning raised in this thread (theft and all) but, geez, I hate being nickeled and dimed on EVERYTHING.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:31 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I have seen these at continental EU Hilton properties, too. The price is less exorbitant than minibar items and technically far more useful. However, if I saw one of these in a true five star, I would question it.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:55 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by stuartpig
And why not? They once had umbrellas in every room, but people took them away
Because I bet they didn't reduce the price of rooms when they took the umbrellas away...

At the end of the day they can do what they want, but this is why brands like Marriott and Hilton aren't growing in the same way as other brands in their respective portfolios. Hotels are gradually going down the same path of 'hollowing out the middle' that has already happened in fashion retail, groceries, etc where high end and cheapest options survive but the mid-priced option is a bloodbath.

Decisions like this that that erode the differentiation with limited service hotels seem smart in the short term (and may make individual sense for whichever mid-level manager signed off on this who collects a bonus from the temporary bump in margin then moves on in a year), but doesn't make the case for guests to stay at a Marriott rather than a Moxy in future.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:00 am

Hmmmm....perhaps they are offering to protect you from events that happen within their property....????

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.