Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Yokohama, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2023, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold

This is far and away one of the most beautiful hotels I have seen in a long time - the low review scores are baffling.

More to come after my experience concludes tomorrow.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Here are my full impressions of the Westin Yokohama - beautiful and comfortable! I think breakfast could be slightly better, but this was easily my favorite in Yokohama out of the Sheraton, Hyatt, and Westin.

Pros:
  • Upgraded the night before arrival to an Executive Suite - at check-in at 1:30, I was offered the top floor Executive Suite at 3 PM or the 13th floor Executive Suite at 1:50 PM due to housekeeping progress - I waited for the 22nd floor
  • Suite design was incredibly comfortable and beautiful with plush furniture, lovely wood floors, beautiful artistic details - this was one of the prettiest rooms I have seen globally
  • Bed was fantastic - plush mattress, plush pillows, plush covers - slept fantastically
  • Shower pressure was great - I used the wand
  • View was great - though, it was too cloudy to see Mount Fuji
  • Club had great evening service - really tasty desserts and a good grape juice mocktail
  • Offered a delivered welcome gift at check-in - I asked for something non-alcoholic and picked pineapple juice
  • I didn’t have an issue with front desk service - I think I was supposed to check in at the lounge, but the 1st floor attendant was speaking to another couple, so I just went up to the 23rd floor - no issue with service as mentioned in some of the low Google reviews
  • They asked me about late checkout, but I declined as I wanted to head out for the Shinkansen to Nagoya

Neutral:
  • I think I would just do club breakfast (it seemed to have an egg chef) as the restaurant buffet (welcome gift choice) didn’t seem to have an omelet station - they had someone make fish eggs Benedicts and plain omelets, but he wasn’t speaking to guests - regardless, I enjoyed the cream cheese waffles (not in the club), the croissants were good, and the banana smoothies were delicious - would have been great if I could have had a ham and cheese omelet - still a decent breakfast, but I could have had that in the club

Cons:
  • The humidifier in the bedroom started making a very scary sound - was able to turn it off - not sure what that was about

I will definitely be back.

Photos:

Old Nov 27, 2023, 3:38 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Wow! Your review just sold me to switch my reservation at the Sheraton to the Westin in Yokohama instead. That suite looks gorgeous!

Did this club limit its hours for the evening cocktails as well? I've read the Sheraton is still quite busy and has a guest restriction.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alawyer
Wow! Your review just sold me to switch my reservation at the Sheraton to the Westin in Yokohama instead. That suite looks gorgeous!

Did this club limit its hours for the evening cocktails as well? I've read the Sheraton is still quite busy and has a guest restriction.
The Westin is split into two evening sections (1.5 hours each), and the Sheraton has three. The Westin’s club is significantly larger, though.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The club lounge did not have an egg station for breakfast when I stayed there, and the selection was decidedly poor. I would definitely recommend breakfast in the restaurant unless you are mainly a coffee and croissant only for breakfast person. There is not an egg station in the restaurant per se, you talk to your waiter, they talk to the kitchen. But you can customise your order at the table.

I stayed there weeks after opening and again later, the first time I ended up printing the T&C's for Marriott Bonvoy and going over a few items with a highlighter plus postit bookmarks and handing it to the club manager. The main point of contention was their interpretation of late check out for an ambassador member (as I was back then), their reading was 2pm subject to availability, so basically their answer was please check out at noon. There was a few other points I forget now. Somehow I did feel like an annoying twat for brining a highlighted print-out, on the other hand they were clearly trying to get out of any and all Bonvoy obligations, or just had not bothered understanding what they were. And they were very adamant that they were right. As it was all running as it should on the second stay, it was probably not all bad to take them a bit to school.

It is a nice hotel, but in my opinion nothing exceptional in my opinion.
Alawyer likes this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Nov 28, 2023 at 3:25 pm
Old Nov 28, 2023, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The club lounge did not have an egg station for breakfast when I stayed there, and the selection was decidedly poor. I would definitely recommend breakfast in the restaurant unless you are mainly a coffee and croissant only for breakfast person. There is not an egg station in the restaurant per se, you talk to your waiter, they talk to the kitchen. But you can customise your order at the table.

I stayed there weeks after opening and again later, the first time I ended up printing the T&C's for Marriott Bonvoy and going over a few items with a highlighter plus postit bookmarks and handing it to the club manager. The main point of contention was their interpretation of late check out for an ambassador member (as I was back then), their reading was 2pm subject to availability, so basically their answer was please check out at noon. There was a few other points I forget now. Somehow I did feel like an annoying twat for brining a highlighted print-out, on the other hand they were clearly trying to get out of any and all Bonvoy obligations, or just had not bothered understanding what they were. And they were very adamant that they were right. As it was all running as it should on the second stay, it was probably not all bad to take them a bit to school.

It is a nice hotel, but in my opinion nothing exceptional in my opinion.
I saw an egg chef working and delivering eggs to tables in the lounge - I didn't partake, so I can't confirm - but that's what it looked like. Thanks for the tip on ordering through the servers at the restaurant - I thought about asking but didn't want to come off entitled.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:32 pm

How short of a walk is it to either the local metro lines or JR Sakuragicho station?
Old Feb 27, 2024, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ntamayo
How short of a walk is it to either the local metro lines or JR Sakuragicho station?
About 5 minutes to either Shintakashima station on the Minatomirai Line or to Sakuragicho. Takashimacho on the blue line is a bit further.
ntamayo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.