Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Free night certificate error somehow my fault

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free night certificate error somehow my fault

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2023, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KingCanute
Pragmatism may work in your favour here. If your 35k cert got used for an 18k room, and they (eventually) give you back 17k points, you are pretty much getting two free nights at that level of hotel for your one free night cert. Plus the points are more flexible.

Whether you might have used the original cert for a 35k+ room somewhere else is irrelevant really as you still have the 18k points that weren't taken in the first place.

But it shouldn't be a fight to get the 17k made good if it was their error.
You would think it would be easy but after I politely thanked them for the 10000pts and suggested that 7000 more would make up the difference, I received this message.

"After careful review by my team, we believe the issue has been addressed in an appropriate way and can confirm an appropriate resolution has been offered. I am sorry you feel we have not resolved your issue in the manner you believe is appropriate. No further compensation will be issued for this experience. I wish you a wonderful day."
Old Nov 14, 2023, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

LOL. I sent an email to the Marriott FT Lurker email about the issue yesterday hoping that they would be able to help. I just got an email back from the same case agent as before saying that the email had been referred to her and that she had reviewed it and no other compensation would be offered. Then a nice little veiled threat that the 10,000pts had been given as a kind gesture -- unless I had changed my mind.

I guess I better let this go or risk the wrath of this agent. Another great customer service experience from Marriott. lol
Old Nov 14, 2023, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If this was something more egregious or a larger cert/points value I'd probably be escalating with a mailed letter to one of the Marriott execs.
Even for the smaller amount of points its almost worth it just out of principle and to let them know that this was nothing of your doing or fault and they did not give equivalent compensation for the improperly consumed cert.
danjordan98 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's the same middle finger Marriott's been giving us all the past few years, just more personalized.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by danjordan98 (Post # 17)
I guess I better let this go or risk the wrath of this agent. Another great customer service experience from Marriott. lol
Originally Posted by Kacee (Post # 19)
It's the same middle finger Marriott's been giving us all the past few years, just more personalized.
Indeed, you were badly BONV°Yed.

This might be worth reporting to the state attorney general where the property is located. If done by e-mail, I will leave to others the wisdom of copying the people at Marriott with whom you have previously interacted.
danjordan98 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by danjordan98
You would think it would be easy but after I politely thanked them for the 10000pts and suggested that 7000 more would make up the difference, I received this message.

"After careful review by my team, we believe the issue has been addressed in an appropriate way and can confirm an appropriate resolution has been offered. I am sorry you feel we have not resolved your issue in the manner you believe is appropriate. No further compensation will be issued for this experience. I wish you a wonderful day."
That's a lot of appropriates, with strangely opposite meanings. But the wonderful day part is nice...

Sorry to hear you got brushed off
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Absolutely not a good outcome... especially when that 35k cert can be combined with the 15k point buy-up for a 50k/nt properly.
In the last 18 months I have used 9 Marriot FNCs.

5 of those 9 nights have been 28k or under

All 9 of the nights have had 0 top off.

So maybe to you its not a good outcome, it would a good outcome to me
Happy likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 1:25 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Based on your usage patterns, Schnit I fully understand why this outcome would be fine for you. danjordan98 may have different usage patterns. Regardless, he had already made the decision to redeem 18K points for the stay rather than use a certificate. It shouldn't be any more complicated than that. The fact that the property (and indirectly Marriott Corporate) are forcing the decision retroactively due to a processing error, isn't right.

IANAL nor do I play one on TV, so I don't know if there is any legal recourse to rectify the situation. While 7K points is a relatively small amount, as a matter of principle it would also bother me. It would also sets a bad precedent and I don't want to see Marriott do this on a macro level to other folks in the same situation. In danjordan98 's shoes, I see two possible avenues to pursue it further:
  1. Write a physical letter to Anthony Capuano succinctly stating the issue, the handling of it to date, and the desired outcome. There is an executive staff support team that will get the letter rather than Anthony himself. Still it is a way to escalate the issue for much higher visibility.
  2. Engage a local TV or Radio Consumer Advocate to take the case up on your behalf. Companies like to avoid bad PR.

Only ​​​​danjordan98 can decide if it is worth pursuing further for them.

--Jon
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 3:28 am
ski

Rec - Call Marriott Corporate Number. Check BBB or google for number. You booked a 18,000 point night reservation. After the reservation, your 35,000 free night certificate was taken instead of the points. You would like your free night certificate returned and the 18,000 points debited as the reservation guaranteed. (The free night certificate was attached to an entirely different reservation when you made this reservation. You had absolutely no plans to use it for this reservation, and you have effectively lost 17,000 points.)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by ski
you have effectively lost 17,000 points
The OP has notionally "lost" 7,000 points value not 17,000. They still have the originally untaken18k, plus the gesture 10k
Happy likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by KingCanute
The OP has notionally "lost" 7,000 points value not 17,000. They still have the originally untaken18k, plus the gesture 10k
Agreed, and those 28,000 points can be used on a hotel worth more than 50,000 that they otherwise would not have.

In other words, if they want to stay at a hotel which is worth 85,000 points, they are in essence now allowing the OP to use the 35k certificate and 57,000 points. All depends on their stay pattern if they think thats a good deal
Old Nov 16, 2023, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schnit
Agreed, and those 28,000 points can be used on a hotel worth more than 50,000 that they otherwise would not have.

In other words, if they want to stay at a hotel which is worth 85,000 points, they are in essence now allowing the OP to use the 35k certificate and 57,000 points. All depends on their stay pattern if they think thats a good deal
Well, to clarify everything. I had planned on taking my wife to a hotel she likes in Montreal which is usually between 35,000pts-40,000pts for our anniversary we missed because I was in hospital. I will still take her but my points balance being at 32000pts currently, I will have to move some points over from amex. I don't get more than one free night certificate per year, so it was a bummer to have lost it. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and even more so their outrage. I needed someone to be as incensed as I was. It made me feel better. I won't be pursuing it further for the sake of inner peace, but thank you all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.