Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Free night certificate error somehow my fault

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2023, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

I made a booking back in June 2023 for a stay in July 2023 and attached my free night certificate (35,000pts) to the reservation. Afterwards, I made a booking at another hotel for the end of September with points (18,000 pts if I remember correctly). Because of a system error, the points for the second stay were not deducted from the account.

In July, my travel plans changed and I ended up cancelling the reservation made with the free night certificate. The certificate returned to the account. After my stay at the end of September, the free night certificate disappeared from my account. I contacted customer service and after a back and forth, they admitted that it was a system error and that the certificate had automatically attached to the second reservation, but that I should have noticed the error before the stay. As such, they would give me 10,000 pts goodwill and nothing else.

When I asked for it to be escalated to a supervisor, I was told no. Seriously?!

TLDR; system error on booking, I didn't notice and have lost my free night certificate because of it.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 5:36 pm

The system error sucks of course, and the "you should have noticed" doesn't sound like the customer friendliest way to have responded.

Effectively for your 35k certificate you have receiveed a room for 18k plus 10k points. I don't know what you have been hoping for but a nicely worded email requesting the missing 7k to make you whole again might be reasonable but also perhaps as much as could be expected?
danjordan98 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KingCanute
The system error sucks of course, and the "you should have noticed" doesn't sound like the customer friendliest way to have responded.

Effectively for your 35k certificate you have receiveed a room for 18k plus 10k points. I don't know what you have been hoping for but a nicely worded email requesting the missing 7k to make you whole again might be reasonable but also perhaps as much as could be expected?
Yes, that was what I asked for and they said no, that the compensation of 10000 pts. was all they would do.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danjordan98
I made a booking back in June 2023 for a stay in July 2023 and attached my free night certificate (35,000pts) to the reservation. Afterwards, I made a booking at another hotel for the end of September with points (18,000 pts if I remember correctly). Because of a system error, the points for the second stay were not deducted from the account............
Did you notice the system error of not deducting 18K point right away or after the stay?

If there is no point or cert attached to an award booking, the property will pull award upon you checking in. Unfortunately, Bonvoy system defaults to deduct the first certificate. If you have multiple certificates, it will actually deduct the certificate with the earliest expiration. For example, if you have a 85K certificate with earlier expiration, it will pull that one for the 18K booking. It is a system error which is easily corrected before the stay yet difficult after the fact. I am not saying this is the right way to do it but just explaining it.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
Did you notice the system error of not deducting 18K point right away or after the stay?

If there is no point or cert attached to an award booking, the property will pull award upon you checking in. Unfortunately, Bonvoy system defaults to deduct the first certificate. If you have multiple certificates, it will actually deduct the certificate with the earliest expiration. For example, if you have a 85K certificate with earlier expiration, it will pull that one for the 18K booking. It is a system error which is easily corrected before the stay yet difficult after the fact. I am not saying this is the right way to do it but just explaining it.
I didn't notice the error at all. It was after the booking when the cert was gone.

What would have happened if I had no certificate. They would have just taken the points, right?
Old Nov 12, 2023, 9:23 pm

It does seem harsh to say you should have noticed it before the stay when the certificate was not removed from your account until after the stay. And I suppose another harsh position by them could possibly be to suggest that by the time they took the certificate the redemption rate had increased to 25k (I’m just speculating there). And yes I suspect they would have just taken points otherwise.

A simple friendly email can't hurt though. You may have just had a poor agent on the phone. Keep it simple and emotion-free, say you couldn't notice the certificate was being used before the stay, thanks for the 10k so far but could they just make it whole again please to correct their system error that was out of your control

I get that it's the principle as much as the points, and only you can know how much effort you want to put in for 7k points.

Good luck!
DJ_Iceman and danjordan98 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by danjordan98
I made a booking back in June 2023 for a stay in July 2023 and attached my free night certificate (35,000pts) to the reservation. Afterwards, I made a booking at another hotel for the end of September with points (18,000 pts if I remember correctly). Because of a system error, the points for the second stay were not deducted from the account.

In July, my travel plans changed and I ended up cancelling the reservation made with the free night certificate. The certificate returned to the account. After my stay at the end of September, the free night certificate disappeared from my account. I contacted customer service and after a back and forth, they admitted that it was a system error and that the certificate had automatically attached to the second reservation, but that I should have noticed the error before the stay. As such, they would give me 10,000 pts goodwill and nothing else.

When I asked for it to be escalated to a supervisor, I was told no. Seriously?!

TLDR; system error on booking, I didn't notice and have lost my free night certificate because of it.
Perhaps you offer to have your lawyer/barrister explain their error to them? You will probably get transferred to someone who may be inclined to see your point...ymmv!
danjordan98 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 12:00 am

7k points definitely not worth worrying about. Move on and enjoy life!
danjordan98 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 5:50 am

Programs: United, EVA, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
7k points definitely not worth worrying about. Move on and enjoy life!
Yeah for Marriott the megacorp. They could easily provide the 7k points differential yet they are playing hardball despite their IT causing issues.
KRSW, iskingolf, rylan and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 7:37 am

I am sure most of us here have used a 35k certificate on a 28k room before, so it sounds like a good outcome to me
SPN Lifer and Happy like this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Schnit
I am sure most of us here have used a 35k certificate on a 28k room before, so it sounds like a good outcome to me
Absolutely not a good outcome... especially when that 35k cert can be combined with the 15k point buy-up for a 50k/nt properly.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
That is assuming one has plans to stay at a 50K property. Not everyone does.
Happy likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Right, but if you have a 35k cert and it was mishandled by Marriott, then you should reasonably expect at LEAST to receive that amount of points in return.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rylan
Right, but if you have a 35k cert and it was mishandled by Marriott, then you should reasonably expect at LEAST to receive that amount of points in return.
At a minimum.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 7:26 am

Pragmatism may work in your favour here. If your 35k cert got used for an 18k room, and they (eventually) give you back 17k points, you are pretty much getting two free nights at that level of hotel for your one free night cert. Plus the points are more flexible.

Whether you might have used the original cert for a 35k+ room somewhere else is irrelevant really as you still have the 18k points that weren't taken in the first place.

But it shouldn't be a fight to get the 17k made good if it was their error.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.