Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Another Interesting Springhill Suites Quirk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Interesting Springhill Suites Quirk

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2024, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by purplenightskylovertv
If my logic is correct, Springhill Suites=Comfort Suites=Hyatt Place=Embassy Suites? I do know IHG has something on that level, but I'm not so sure about Wyndham.
They're typically in a comparable quality range but they have their pros/cons.

Embassy is older, so can be hit and miss on individual property quality. But almost always has the "true" two-room suite with a door to the bedroom. This was useful when we traveled with small children.

Hyatt Place has a lot of regular hotel rooms...will vary by property how many suites and how expensive the suites are compared to the other brands. Plus side....HP is still pretty new and usually fairly clean.

SHS has a feature I came to love as the kids got older: 2 queens + a sofa bed. Usually wasn't a "true" suite, but roomy enough for the four of us. SHS has grown rapidly so most of them are pretty new, but even the older ones are not bad.

When traveling with family, I'd always start my hotel searches with 6 people in 1 room, even though there were only four of us. That would quickly filter out 90% of hotels - you were left with the SHS's that had 2 queens + sofabed and hotels that had real 2-bedroom suites. So RIs, TPSs, and occasionally a mainline Marriott with a VERY expensive Presidential Suite.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:03 pm
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
They're typically in a comparable quality range but they have their pros/cons.

Embassy is older, so can be hit and miss on individual property quality. But almost always has the "true" two-room suite with a door to the bedroom. This was useful when we traveled with small children.

Hyatt Place has a lot of regular hotel rooms...will vary by property how many suites and how expensive the suites are compared to the other brands. Plus side....HP is still pretty new and usually fairly clean.

SHS has a feature I came to love as the kids got older: 2 queens + a sofa bed. Usually wasn't a "true" suite, but roomy enough for the four of us. SHS has grown rapidly so most of them are pretty new, but even the older ones are not bad.

When traveling with family, I'd always start my hotel searches with 6 people in 1 room, even though there were only four of us. That would quickly filter out 90% of hotels - you were left with the SHS's that had 2 queens + sofabed and hotels that had real 2-bedroom suites. So RIs, TPSs, and occasionally a mainline Marriott with a VERY expensive Presidential Suite.
You didn't mention Comfort Suites or Quality Suites. You also didn't mention Homewood Suites, Staybridge Suites, or Hyatt House. But good observation.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:32 pm

One "quirk" I guess you can attribute to SHS is the use of trundle beds. This came in handy once for a group outing with families of 4 (mom/dad + 2 little kids). I've only seen this with SHS.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by purplenightskylovertv
You didn't mention Comfort Suites or Quality Suites. You also didn't mention Homewood Suites, Staybridge Suites, or Hyatt House. But good observation.
No experience at all with Comfort Suites or Quality Suites - I perceive those as a cut below this tier of hotels but not really sure.

Homewood Suites was for many years the direct Hilton answer for Residence Inn. But Homewoods now seem to have a lot more studios and partial kitchens than RI and often don't have the 2-bedroom option at all. Homewood was in rapid growth mode about 10 years ago so still a lot of comparatively new ones out there.

Staybridge Suites is definitely a cut below this tier.

Never stayed at a Hyatt House but definitely would if one aligned with my needs. I imagine they're good and mostly new builds.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by ntamayo
One "quirk" I guess you can attribute to SHS is the use of trundle beds. This came in handy once for a group outing with families of 4 (mom/dad + 2 little kids). I've only seen this with SHS.
This only appears in the newer renovations. If the hotel room is a sea of institutional/prison gray, you get a trundle bed, prisoner.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 7:20 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Though a fair number of them are 20+ year old rebranded AmeriSuites.

Never stayed at a Hyatt House but definitely would if one aligned with my needs. I imagine they're good and mostly new builds.
Watch for older ones that are rebranded Summerfield Suites or Hotel Sierra's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.