Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Email confirmations no longer being sent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Email confirmations no longer being sent?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2023, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Email confirmations no longer being sent (isolated)

For the past few weeks I am no longer getting email confirmations of ANY reservation I make on Marriott.com. Anybody else having this issue? I've made 5 reservations in the past 3 days and about 10 reservations over the past two weeks and not a single one generates a confirmation email to me. I've changed nothing on my Marriott account. What gives?

I can't even find a way to fix this. There's no setting in my profile that says to email or not email confirmations.

Note: I am also not getting cancellations emails either.

They are not going straight to deleted or junk email folders.

-RM

Last edited by RobOnLI; Sep 25, 2023 at 8:41 pm
Old Sep 25, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
No issue here. Still received confirmation emails as usual.

Last reservation made was 2 days ago.

Edit:
I made a change for one of my reservation around 4 days ago. Change the rate to the new one.
I receive the cancellation confirmation for the initial reservation and then got the confirmation for the new one without problem.

Is there any chance that your email provider somehow blacklist any mail from marriott?
Old Sep 25, 2023, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

Note: I am also not getting cancellations emails either.

They are not going straight to deleted or junk email folders.

-RM
This happened to me a few months ago. Everything was going into the trash. I blamed Marriott's IT (as I usually do, LOL), but it turns out that somehow, I blocked the sender [email protected]. Clearly, I didn’t intentionally do that so must have happened when I was fumbling with my phone or something.

I unblocked it, and now am receiving all my confirmations again.
dgreen12, dw, Jiatong and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Did you confirm that your email wasn't changed in your profile? Someone may have tried to hack you.
dw and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I changed several reservations yesterday and found the new confirmations were sent faster than ever (for points reservations, which can be a tad delayed, as cash reservations usually send instantly).
Old Sep 25, 2023, 1:02 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
+1 getting email confirmations as usual. I changed a reservation yesterday and received email confirmation with the update.

--Jon
Old Sep 25, 2023, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My email address is correct. It hasn't changed in many years. And as mentioned in my first post the emails just aren't getting to me at all - not going to deleted or junk folders. So I still think this is Marriott IT although admittedly it seems to only be happening to me. Just to be on the safe side I deleted and re-entered my email address in my profile.

The Marriott reservations email address is listed as a safe sender in my account.

I'm baffled. I've gone through the web and app settings for communications over & over again and find nothing that even hints about reservation emails. I enabled "Marriott group offers and marketing" via email just in case but that doesn't seem to have helped as I booked 3 more reservations since making that change.

-RM
Old Sep 25, 2023, 1:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
And as mentioned in my first post the emails just aren't getting to me at all - not going to deleted or junk folders.
If they are not getting to you at all, at least one person has suggested for you to check to see if you inadvertently "blocked" the email address. (If you block an email address, it doesn't go to spam or trash --- the email is never received even though it has been properly sent.)

Verify with your email provider that the sender is not on a "blocked" list. (In Gmail, it's under settings.)

"Safe sender" just means that it won't go to spam.
margarita girl and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try using a different email address and then you'll know if the Marriott email is somehow blocked.
dw likes this.

Last edited by margarita girl; Sep 25, 2023 at 2:08 pm
Old Sep 25, 2023, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgreen12

Verify with your email provider that the sender is not on a "blocked" list. (In Gmail, it's under settings.)
That's a good point. And dgreen12 is correct. The emails were just disappearing and weren't even in the trash.

I wasn't sure I remembered how I did it, but just found it (on my Apple device). Go to

Settings
Mail
Blocked (under Threading)

You'll see all the emails (and phone numbers) that you have blocked there. It's literally hundreds for me, but I did find the [email protected] address there.
dw and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgreen12
If they are not getting to you at all, at least one person has suggested for you to check to see if you inadvertently "blocked" the email address. (If you block an email address, it doesn't go to spam or trash --- the email is never received even though it has been properly sent.)

"Safe sender" just means that it won't go to spam.
Originally Posted by margarita girl
That's a good point. And dgreen12 is correct. The emails were just disappearing and weren't even in the trash.

I wasn't sure I remembered how I did it, but just found it (on my Apple device). Go to

Settings
Mail
Blocked (under Threading)

You'll see all the emails (and phone numbers) that you have blocked there. It's literally hundreds for me, but I did find the [email protected] address there.
Meant to type that in my last reply. I have no email addresses related to, including, or even remotely close to "Marriott" in my blocked senders list.

Also, as for blocked on my phone, same thing. I only have phone numbers blocked, not email addresses on the device.

I will try the other suggestion of changing the email address to one of my many others and see if I get confirmations/cancellations.

Thanks,
-RM
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I changed the email address on my account. Marriott.com had to verify it and I selected my existing email address as the account to verify through. That email came through fine with the six digit code. I then got an email at both the old (not getting confirmations) and new email address saying I updated my profile.

I then made a new reservation and that confirmation went straight to the new email address.

I'm still completely at a loss. There is no blocked sender domain or address remotely resembling Marriott, reservations, [email protected], etc. in my normal account. But this started at least two weeks ago. My phone shows it's not blocked either.

I changed my profile back to my original email address and got another notification that my profile changed. But reservation emails are still not getting to me as I tried to make another new one just to test.

So clearly it's an issue on my side or my email provider but I just can't figure out what. And I can't really use the other email address as my main Marriott

Edit: I've deleted the account off my mobile device just in case that was causing the interference. It's not. The confirmations are still not getting to me.

Edit 2: I made a new rule for my account that says all emails from [email protected] go to the Inbox and to not process any other rules. I made it my very top rule. I'm still NOT getting confirmations. And, yes, I'm still checking all folders like deleted, junk and archived. Not there either.

-RM

Last edited by RobOnLI; Sep 25, 2023 at 2:33 pm
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
I changed the email address on my account. Marriott.com had to verify it and I selected my existing email address as the account to verify through. That email came through fine with the six digit code. I then got an email at both the old (not getting confirmations) and new email address saying I updated my profile.

I then made a new reservation and that confirmation went straight to the new email address.

I'm still completely at a loss. There is no blocked sender domain or address remotely resembling Marriott, reservations, [email protected], etc. in my normal account. But this started at least two weeks ago. My phone shows it's not blocked either.

I changed my profile back to my original email address and got another notification that my profile changed. But reservation emails are still not getting to me as I tried to make another new one just to test.

So clearly it's an issue on my side or my email provider but I just can't figure out what. And I can't really use the other email address as my main Marriott

Edit: I've deleted the account off my mobile device just in case that was causing the interference. It's not. The confirmations are still not getting to me.

Edit 2: I made a new rule for my account that says all emails from [email protected] go to the Inbox and to not process any other rules. I made it my very top rule. I'm still NOT getting confirmations. And, yes, I'm still checking all folders like deleted, junk and archived. Not there either.

-RM
Profile update emails and Reservations emails almost certainly come from different email servers at Marriott, which might explain why you’re getting one type but not the other.

What has possibly happened here is that at some point emails from Reservations to your original address were bounced back to Marriott as undeliverable e.g. due to a network outage or temporary problem with email servers at your upstream provider.

The sending server should retry but if it gets an ‘undeliverable’ response too many times your email address can, as I understand it, get flagged as ‘dead’ and the sending server may then filter it out and not attempt to deliver any further messages..

What constitutes”too many times” and what the email server then does about it is configurable so if you cannot use an alternative email address on your Marriott profile it might be a case of contacting their web/IT support somehow to ascertain if your original email is on an outgoing mail filter list somewhere within Marriott’s Reservations ecosystem and have it removed?

TL; DR - you may not be blocking Marriott but it’s possible Marriott is (inadvertently) blocking you!
dw likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If I click on "email" from already-made reservations I get those emails to my account no problem. Of course they come from "[email protected]". And I would imagine those come from the same server as reservations emails do.

My account is a standard "big name" provider. To my knowledge it's never been down long term and certainly not enough where Marriott would have had multiple bounce backs to blacklist my address.

-RM
Old Sep 26, 2023, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
And I can't really use the other email address as my main Marriott
Is it possible to put the "other email address" on auto-forward to your preferred email address for emails from Marriott?

And if it is, what happens? Do the emails make it through to the preferred email address?
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.