Wiki Posts
Search

Checked in to an occupied room

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2023, 9:01 pm
J S
Original Poster

Checked in to an occupied room

Checked into a Marriott tonight. After some confusion because they didn't seem to have the type of room I booked, the person at the front desk offered me the "Presidential Suite" and said you are really going to love the room. I headed upstairs, found a Do Not Disturb sign on the door and, rather than using the keycard, I knocked. Two women answered the door.

So, instead of a very nice upgrade, I ended up with a significant downgrade. He did not seem very concerned or apologetic (he offered breakfast, which I likely won't even be here for).

And when he was issuing me keys to the downgraded room, he asked about my credit card number in a way that made me concerned that the charges from the other guests may end up on my card.

What would you do?
Old Jun 3, 2023, 9:13 pm

Happened to me at the Residence Inn in State College, PA. I didn't knock and walked in on a naked man.

They refused to do anything for me, so I checked out and went across the way to the Courtyard. Never stayed at the RI again.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by J S
Checked into a Marriott tonight. After some confusion because they didn't seem to have the type of room I booked, the person at the front desk offered me the "Presidential Suite" and said you are really going to love the room. I headed upstairs, found a Do Not Disturb sign on the door and, rather than using the keycard, I knocked. Two women answered the door.

So, instead of a very nice upgrade, I ended up with a significant downgrade. He did not seem very concerned or apologetic (he offered breakfast, which I likely won't even be here for).

And when he was issuing me keys to the downgraded room, he asked about my credit card number in a way that made me concerned that the charges from the other guests may end up on my card.

What would you do?
"Two women answered the door" in a Presidential Suite: what an upgrade!

We are all wondering what property is going so much above and beyond.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by J S

What would you do?
I would definitely ask for a paper copy of my folio upon checkout, scrutinize it carefully, and check your credit card online frequently over the next several days.

Beaucoup BONV°Y™!
Old Jun 4, 2023, 8:25 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by UASPG

Personal Ambassadors are BACK and they are back big!
Old Jun 4, 2023, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by J S
Downgraded from your reserved room type? Demand comp for breach of the Room Type Guarantee.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by J S

What would you do?
So, I guess we're all sleeping here tonight, eh.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
About 11-12 years ago checked in at Westin grand central station around midnight and opened door, room was dark however Tv was on and I saw some feet hanging off the bed. .. That memory comes back usually once or twice a year when I arrive late and open the hotel door for the first time.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by KansasMike
Happened to me at the Residence Inn in State College, PA. I didn't knock and walked in on a naked man.

They refused to do anything for me, so I checked out and went across the way to the Courtyard. Never stayed at the RI again.
Seems to me the naked guy in the room the you walked in on (through no fault of your own) has a bigger beef than you!
Old Jun 4, 2023, 5:10 pm
J S
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UASPG

This made me laugh!
Old Jun 4, 2023, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Flip the security latch, people! As far as 2 women looking through the peephole and even then opening the door....well, who knows...

But if you were upgraded then downgraded (or even just downgraded) I'd expect renumeration for that.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 5:13 pm

As Mark Sloan would say: "Okay wow, well this could be fun if we decide to let it."
Old Jun 4, 2023, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Flip the security latch, people!
Not always possible. Sometimes I have to step out while wife is sleeping. No way to flip the latch. Invariably, those are the occasions when housekeeping ignores the DND sign.

As for OP, you only have a compensable gripe if you ended up with a lower category room than what you booked. Otherwise, all that happened was an extra trip to the front desk. I wouldn't ask for anything for that... I suppose if it was a really long walk or a long wait then maybe ask for a free drink or something. Can't see it being worth more than that.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
This story keeps being reposted about once every year or so. And then the recounted stories appear as well. It’s like deja vu!
Old Jun 4, 2023, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Collierkr
This story keeps being reposted about once every year or so. And then the recounted stories appear as well. It’s like deja vu!
And all over again!

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.