Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

France Strike prevented us from coming. No mercy from Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

France Strike prevented us from coming. No mercy from Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2023, 8:54 am

The difference here is that sometimes people no-show and it's entirely their fault. This was not.

The hotel / Marriott could ask for proof of flight cancellation and would be smart to show a little flexibility here, vs. risking losing customers.

Of course it's "not their problem", however they could have turned the OP into an even more loyal customer vs. turning him off. Missed opportunity.
ohmark, miles4CDG and LongLiveSPG like this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Amen. Strong sense of entitlement emanating from the OP. Contracts and terms and conditions are clearly for the little people.
Strong lack of empathy coming from you.

Look, I had a similar situation come up a few years ago with travelling to France. There was a massive strike that basically shut down Paris (including almost all transit) for a couple weeks. It was going to be a huge PITA to drop myself into that situation. I had airline tickets on LEVEL and, for obvious reasons, I wanted to delay my trip as it was going to be either extremely difficult/impossible to visit Paris that week. I tried very hard to get some accomodation, but the airline was unwilling to change my ticket to go a month later. At least my tickets were cheap, only about $225 each for myself and my wife. But the airline should obviously have done better. FWIW, I still doubt I would buy another ticket on LEVEL. To me, this is no different than an airline giving you some travel flexibility when a snow storm will make your travel extremely difficult. It's something any normal human being (or company) would assist with.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Harv62
Rants like this just make me laugh in their over-entitled faces. Glad they’ll never book another Marriott so I won’t have to worry about running across the toxic wake they undoubtedly trail behind them.
They sound like the type to complain about not being made CK even though the business they brought to AA was likely unprofitable to the current iteration of AAL (cf. AMR).
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:02 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by jason99
The difference here is that sometimes people no-show and it's entirely their fault. This was not.

The hotel / Marriott could ask for proof of flight cancellation and would be smart to show a little flexibility here, vs. risking losing customers.

Of course it's "not their problem", however they could have turned the OP into an even more loyal customer vs. turning him off. Missed opportunity.
True, but you have met Parisians before, right?
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:06 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Should have canx the cc on file when the airline canx with no alternatives.
That won't necessarily work, and could be considered fraud.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:11 am

Programs: NWA, Delta, Continental
My sympathies.

I've never booked non-refundable hotel stays in the USA as, for one thing, the discounts weren't that good. I did in Spain pre-covid as the savings were quite significant. Had two nights stayed at two different spots, one a pension and the other a large hotel chain. We were unable to travel due to Covid.

Both the pension and the potel offered us future credits. Probably only due to worldwide Covid.

I agree with the posters...research higher-ups @ Marriott (e.g. Elliott.org).
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by iahphx
Strong lack of empathy coming from you.

Look, I had a similar situation come up a few years ago with travelling to France. There was a massive strike that basically shut down Paris (including almost all transit) for a couple weeks. It was going to be a huge PITA to drop myself into that situation. I had airline tickets on LEVEL and, for obvious reasons, I wanted to delay my trip as it was going to be either extremely difficult/impossible to visit Paris that week. I tried very hard to get some accomodation, but the airline was unwilling to change my ticket to go a month later. At least my tickets were cheap, only about $225 each for myself and my wife. But the airline should obviously have done better. FWIW, I still doubt I would buy another ticket on LEVEL. To me, this is no different than an airline giving you some travel flexibility when a snow storm will make your travel extremely difficult. It's something any normal human being (or company) would assist with.
Not sure what empathy has to do with this.

OP buys non flexible accommodation to save money. The cash saving is offset by increased risk. OP plans travel to a city that basically has mandatory yearly strikes, with the recent strike action being widely publicised. OP does not purchase travel insurance or otherwise offset the risk. OP attempts to shift responsibility for their poor decision making to the hotel, who have fulfilled their obligations.

The OP has hopefully learned an important lesson about decision making and risk management. This was all avoidable and largely foreseeable.
SPN Lifer, TV guy, yscleo and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marriott is becoming more arrogant and adversarial to guests - it is well documented in this forum. Not everywhere and there are still plenty of good hotels and helpful employees but the trend is clear. Take your business elsewhere - that is the only way to deal with it.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I have mixed feelings when I read all of this. I am very sympathetic to the OP, and appreciate the OP sharing the story to help others. It seems like Marriott could have compromised and at least offered a partial credit as a one-time goodwill gesture.

That said, I always pay extra (if necessary) to only book refundable (or at least changeable) flights and hotels. It seems rather unfair to people like me if some people just choose to save money and 'risk it', but then expect their money back anyway when something goes wrong and they can't use the reservation.
aaupgrade, TV guy, yscleo and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by bosman
This is where you lost me. I am fully supportive of you voting with your wallet, and apparently you believe "your wallet" also carries over to your employees (which I guess technically is true if you own the business). But what if some of them count on business related Marriott stays to help them with an annual family vacation, or are working toward Marriott life time elite status? It seems a bit harsh to force them to change their hotel of choice, particularly since Marriott's "crime" was to not make an exception to the rules in your situation.
Whoa. If the OP owns the company, setting company travel policy is completely within his rights. Expecting that he make policy decisions for his company based on potential employee elite status or family vacation plans? Waaaaay over the top.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Whoa. If the OP owns the company, setting company travel policy is completely within his rights. Expecting that he make policy decisions for his company based on potential employee elite status or family vacation plans? Waaaaay over the top.
Actually it’s a sign of a good employer when they care about their employees but that is sadly rare these days. An employer who prevents employee choice over a matter like this would certainly not be one I would work for.
aaupgrade, TV guy, yscleo and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 11:08 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by LongLiveSPG
To the point about getting a much better price using a nonrefundable rate, I find that there is often very little difference in price and, when the cancellation occurs last minute, even a refundable rate typically becomes nonrefundable. I wonder: Does the hotel treat a last minute cancellation of a rate that WAS refundable differently from one that was originally nonrefundable
Much of the time if you cancel a flexible rate after the cancellation deadline or are a no show, you’ll just be dinged for the first night’s room rate, whereas with a nonrefundable rate, you end up losing the value of the entire stay
yscleo, nancypants, hhdl and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 11:27 am

Guess OP should have booked a "full fare" rate with some more flexibility. Humble pie can have a bitter taste.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by IggySD
Actually it’s a sign of a good employer when they care about their employees but that is sadly rare these days. An employer who prevents employee choice over a matter like this would certainly not be one I would work for.
When does caring about employees slide into intrusive, and inappropriate, behavior? Should an employer be monitoring how many reward points an employee has earned on company paid travel, check their path to elite status, and then ask about their family vacation plans? Or does the employer's responsibility and right-to-know stop at providing a certain level of accommodation at company expense for the employee when the employee travels on company business? I suspect most companies where travel is a regular part of the job have defined policies on where employees can stay, and do not offer them complete freedom of choice on company paid travel.

If the OP wants to set policy at his company based on this, well, I've heard far worse reasoning on FT.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 12:11 pm

What no one has mentioned is that the ongoing strikes in France had no impact on flights to CDG on the 9th. I took a quick look at several other airports including JFK/LAX and there were no cancelations. If France was metering flights they would not have canceled 1 of 2 flights from SFO. There were only 3 cancelations total which is normal.
I would demand to know why the flight was canceled and see if United will make you whole. The other interesting thing is that there were many options that day to fly to CDG from SFO via a one stop. Why was no alternative offered?
SPN Lifer, yscleo, cre95 and 7 others like this.

Last edited by Jeff767; Mar 11, 2023 at 12:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.