Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

From 1 Mar 23 : Reduced (to half) points and ENCs at Protea hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From 1 Mar 23 : Reduced (to half) points and ENCs at Protea hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2023, 1:05 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Because you want the customers who can afford to staying at your premium brands, like Westin etc?
Shouldn't they focus more on franchising these premium brands first in the African Market? More likely people would just find whatever non-Marriott hotel that suits them if there are very limited non-Protea Marriott choices to begin with.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 1:24 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by supatight80
Shouldn't they focus more on franchising these premium brands first in the African Market? More likely people would just find whatever non-Marriott hotel that suits them if there are very limited non-Protea Marriott choices to begin with.
It would be interesting to see where Elite members in Sub-Sahara Africa actually stay (there are plenty of choices in Egypt, so I won't make a generic statement about the whole continent) and if there is even a significant proportion of Elite members in Africa. I've been researching Africa options, and it does seem like there aren't many options other than Protea in many countries. Even in South Africa itself, there aren't many non-Protea choices, especially outside of Cape Town.
dtokuda likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 3:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Marriott
new ENC value (1 ENC per 2 Nights, per Stay basis)
In practical terms, what does "1 ENC per 2 Nights, per Stay basis" mean exactly ? How Many ENCs for a 1 night stay ?
Old Feb 2, 2023, 3:37 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
It would be interesting to see where Elite members in Sub-Sahara Africa actually stay (there are plenty of choices in Egypt, so I won't make a generic statement about the whole continent) and if there is even a significant proportion of Elite members in Africa. I've been researching Africa options, and it does seem like there aren't many options other than Protea in many countries. Even in South Africa itself, there aren't many non-Protea choices, especially outside of Cape Town.
Aren’t their like 30+ African properties in the pipeline, so this may be aimed at potential franchisees and investors as much as current options.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 3:56 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I suspect the change is aimed at pushing the foreign tourists and business travelers to more premium brands in SA.
There are no premium brands along the Garden Route in SA... Protea is it in the 4 cities along the route. What this may do is push people to boutique hotels in each town
Old Feb 2, 2023, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

In practical terms, what does "1 ENC per 2 Nights, per Stay basis" mean exactly ? How Many ENCs for a 1 night stay ?
Probably same as 1 ENC/3 nights at Executive Apartments.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 7:49 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

Dear Oxon Flyer,

On or after March 1, 2023 for a One Night Stay members will earn 5 Marriott Bonvoy® Points per $1 USD only. No Elite Night Credit will be earned as the two Night criteria has not been met.
SPN Lifer and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
This is one of my biggest complaints with the Bonvoy program a dollar is a dollar and a night is a night, why do I need to look up how many points and stays I get by brand? Do I get 15 or 20 at the ST Regis or Rtiz?
Old Feb 2, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
If it was a drop in the bucket, why bother making this change. That's exactly why it's concerning as it sets a precedent for other brands to follow suit, eg., the recently acquired City Express.
There are other reasons why they would make the change that don't involve people mattress running specifically to gain status.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 6:38 pm

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Originally Posted by steveholt
There are other reasons why they would make the change that don't involve people mattress running specifically to gain status.
I agree. It's more likely a precursor to rolling this out to more brands as the recent purchase of City Express has indicated that clearly Marriott is targeting the lower end of the market. As more and more of these are introduced to major markets, they don't want a sudden influx of Elite members only staying at these brands.

I guess we shall see soon when City Express integration starts .
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 10:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Interesting move from Marriott.

At first I thought the price is the reason, but then again Protea hotel price is actually higher than some of those Moxy and Aloft.

Wonder if Marriott will cutting down these earning as well.
Radiation Station likes this.

Last edited by hhoope01; Feb 3, 2023 at 6:40 am Reason: Per FT Rule 16 removed masked offensive word.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:37 pm

Programs: AlFursan, AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Avios, Bonvoy, All
I was a frequent user of Protea Balalaika Hotel in Sandton over the past 15 years. Love the property. However, I'll only be returning for the Bull Run Steakhouse and no longer using hotel side given that there is a wide selection of similar properties nearby. Protea only joined in 2018.

Shabby move Bonvoy!
Old Feb 3, 2023, 12:22 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
SNIP

As more and more of these are introduced to major markets, they don't want a sudden influx of Elite members only staying at these brands.

SNIP
More likely they don't want the kind of guests who habitually stay at these lesser brands rocking up at the luxury brands and expecting to be treated as an elite like the members who usually pay through the nose for the privilege.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ftrichard
More likely they don't want the kind of guests who habitually stay at these lesser brands rocking up at the luxury brands and expecting to be treated as an elite like the members who usually pay through the nose for the privilege.
There are far cheaper hotels in Malaysia and Indonesia. Can we expect the same move there?
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 5:25 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
There are far cheaper hotels in Malaysia and Indonesia. Can we expect the same move there?
Really, I saw some Protea in Africa for sub-$50 USD - I bet City Express will be the same. I haven't seen the same in Malaysia and Indonesia, but I don't look too frequently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.