Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

From 1 Mar 23 : Reduced (to half) points and ENCs at Protea hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2023, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: All of the Above

Received this email today that you’ll only earn 1 Elite Night for every 2 nights stayed at Protea hotels. This seems insane. Is this precedence with any other brands?

https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-34608?nck=107794092&ck=49974032&lk=1000613062
LongLiveSPG likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
This is the only outlier.

Exception: When staying at Marriott Executive Apartments®, you will earn 1 ENC for every three (3) completed Qualifying Nights stayed.
TerryK and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:22 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
This is an interesting move as I recently received 3 emails from Marriott about their new Prokard Explorer by Marriott program.

Protea used to be 10 Points per $1 but will now be $5 Points per $1 after March 1st.

Thank you for staying with us, to make your NEXT stay even more memorable unlock instant benefits with a Prokard Explorer by Marriott® membership!

For only R1850, simply visit www.prokardexplorer.com and click on JOIN NOW.

When you become a Prokard Explorer by Marriott member you unlock a fantastic portfolio of Protea Hotels By Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Autograph Collection, Westin & AC Hotels across South Africa and Africa. There are now more than 70+ participating Hotels and 70+ Restaurants in prime destinations where you can enjoy free nights, preferential rates and discounted dining experiences over a 12 month membership period!

Thank you

Prokard Explorer by Marriott Team

STAY MORE!

From Jozi's fabulous Melrose Arch and Durban's gorgeous Umhlanga beachfront to Cape Town's premier V&A Waterfront and the wild reaches of the iconic Kruger Park, a world of benefits has now opened up to you!

— 1 x Free Night - At Any Protea Hotel By Marriott (South Africa ONLY)
— 3 x Classic Vouchers - 'Stay 1 Night, Get 1 Free Night' At Any Participating Protea Hotel by Marriott
— 2 x Premium Vouchers - 'Stay 1 Night, Get 1 Free Night' Any Participating Marriott, Autograph Collection, Westin, AC Hotels & Any Participating Protea Hotels by Marriott
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Only thing I can assume is the hotels were letting people do mattress runs there and didn't care. Marriott can't stop it so the only way to offset it is to increase the franchise fees by making the mattress runs take twice as long or make it cost enough to mattress run at a US property now.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by cubeman
Only thing I can assume is the hotels were letting people do mattress runs there and didn't care. Marriott can't stop it so the only way to offset it is to increase the franchise fees by making the mattress runs take twice as long or make it cost enough to mattress run at a US property now.
I don't think there's a lot of mattress runs in Southern Africa but that's just my opinion. I've recently stayed at a few Protea Hotels in the Cape Town area and wasn't impressed though the hotels were adequate for a place to sleep versus a "Staycation".
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:42 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I don't think there's a lot of mattress runs in Southern Africa but that's just my opinion. I've recently stayed at a few Protea Hotels in the Cape Town area and wasn't impressed though the hotels were adequate for a place to sleep versus a "Staycation".
If the hotel lets you mobile check-in though with you not even leaving your bed from home and doesn't care the room stays empty. It makes zero sense to devalue ENC's other to kill status. Only other thing is the franchise fee they get per night/stay is too low but this really wouldn't help Marriott make money, only hurts bonvoy members.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 1:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium (LT Silver), UA Silver
Always a little scary to see these; really hope it doesn't become a larger trend. Imagine if all brands earning 5x per dollar started doing 1/2 ENCs too.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 1:58 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
What a d1ck move.

You can get 70 nights credit with US credit cards, but if you stay in most Marriott hotels in Africa you need 140 nights bums in bed to start from the same point.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I’m actually surprised we haven’t seen more hotel programs switch from using nights to spend for calculating status. Already seen that change in some airline programs.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:11 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Glad I racked up nights at Protea in South Africa last year before this change (genuine stays). This is a very poor move on the part of Marriott, and I hope it’s not a sign of things to come.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:33 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I suspect the change is aimed at pushing the foreign tourists and business travelers to more premium brands in SA.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I can't imagine that the number of people doing mattress runs at Protea hotels were more than a drop in a drop in a bucket.
dtokuda likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 8:51 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by steveholt
I can't imagine that the number of people doing mattress runs at Protea hotels were more than a drop in a drop in a bucket.
If it was a drop in the bucket, why bother making this change. That's exactly why it's concerning as it sets a precedent for other brands to follow suit, eg., the recently acquired City Express.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:43 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
If it was a drop in the bucket, why bother making this change. That's exactly why it's concerning as it sets a precedent for other brands to follow suit, eg., the recently acquired City Express.
Because you want the customers who can afford to staying at your premium brands, like Westin etc?
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:50 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Because you want the customers who can afford to staying at your premium brands, like Westin etc?
Then perhaps they should also look at awarding 1.5 Elite Night per night at their luxury brands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.