Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Niagara Falls/Ontario Courtyard called police for requesting welcome gift guarantee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Niagara Falls/Ontario Courtyard called police for requesting welcome gift guarantee

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222
​​​​​​A lot of the "facts" in this thread aren't even coming from the OP, but from others chiming in about unrelated situations.

the OP never said this property has a "habit" of cheating elites. That is an invention of FT posters.

If the OP has the ability to know what happened in conversations he wasn't present for, and the ability to recollect this story days after it happened without any biases whatsoever, that makes him superhuman.
And I never said anything about any of that. I'm saying that, just reading the first post....the very first post....that I can believe everything the OP said.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
And I never said anything about any of that. I'm saying that, just reading the first post....the very first post....that I can believe everything the OP said.
In the very first post, the OP says that what happened in the title happened: that the police were called.
The police weren't called.
TerryK and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 5:00 pm

In the very first post, the OP says that what happened in the title happened: that the police were called.
You must have been late to the party. Originally, the title did not say that the police "were called", nor did it mention the location of the incident. I'm remembering the original title which I believe said the hotel "threatened" to call the police, nor was the location disclosed until several posts in.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 5:02 pm

You must have been late to the party. Originally, the title did not say that the police "were called", nor did it mention the location of the incident. I'm remembering the original title which I believe said the hotel "threatened" to call the police, nor was the location disclosed until several posts in.
​​​​​​What a party it is. Enough to make me realize why people hate elite guests.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the responses - even those who don't believe me. Being told "this story is so outrageous there must be key information missing" in a round about way is also implying "if everything here is true, then the hotel is very far out of line". In that sense, I appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions.
Originally Posted by Liam Walshe
While not legal advice, and with myself being a licensed provider of legal services in this jurisdiction, what I can say is that I absolutely do hope that this is pursued. Indeed, it is very much a single party consent jurisdiction, and recordings can be used in court.
​​​​The hotel owners in this jurisdiction can be quite greedy indeed.
Thanks for the local insight. I definitely got the vibe that a lot of the hotels (and businesses overall) intentionally positioned itself as a tourist trap and even this incident notwithstanding, would probably not be high on my list of places to return to. In hindsight, a day trip to see the (beautiful) falls itself and then return to YYZ in the evening was probably the better choice.
Originally Posted by Keyser
I'm not sure it was the same person. The OP's post isn't clear regarding this fact but my reading of the post is that an agent at the desk said it was OK then a supervisor later said it wasn't.
That is correct - though the front desk agent did leave the desk (I assume to consult someone... perhaps the same supervisor, perhaps not) before telling me that the $10 F&B credit per person was okay. Later when I returned to claim the F&B before check out, was when the interaction with the supposed supervisor occured (note - I say "supposed" supervisor as I still have no idea to this day his name or role within the organisation)
Originally Posted by Horace
There are two sides to every story. However...
Let's assume the basic facts of the OP's post are correct.
— OP had a 1-night stay at the Courtyard Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.
— OP is Platinum Elite, and thus entitled to choose a Platinum Elite Welcome Gift.
— OP chose $10 F&B credit, which is one of the published choices.
— Hotel restaurant was closed, but hotel market pantry shop was open.
— OP was denied the use of the F&B credit.
— OP and front desk supervisor (or someone who came across as having such a role) had a disagreement, even though OP could show the published elite benefits.
— "Supervisor" did not have a name tag and would not identify himself by name or title.
— Hotel charged the OP for the market pantry items, with OP's consent, so OP did not "steal" anything.
— Hotel never applied the credit.
— OP is aware that guarantee compliance and compensation must be invoked at the hotel during the stay.
— OP normally has good experiences at Marriott Bonvoy properties.
— Front desk supervisor refused the OP's request to talk to the GM, choosing instead to call the police.
— After the hotel made this into a police matter, OP disengaged and left the hotel.

It's unclear if this took place outside of breakfast hours or if the restaurant wasn't operating at all during the OP's stay.

We don't know how the conversation between the OP and front desk supervisor played out.

The gender, ethnicity, race, religion, or other attributes of either the OP or the "supervisor" do not matter.

It's possible, but not established, that this hotel makes a habit of cheating elite members out of published elite benefits.

It should have been a simple, routine, friendly transaction.

It only became an issue and topic of disagreement because the "supervisor" made it such. It should not have been necessary for the OP to show the published benefits or to ask for the GM.

Yes, we don't have both sides. However, unless the OP's story is a complete fabrication, the OP is in the right and the hotel is in the wrong.
Thanks for that, this is a fairly accurate summary of events.
Originally Posted by nacho
We don't know what kind of tone was used in the discourse between the Supervisor that caused that person to turn that into a police matter. It's not normal for a discussion like this to be seen as something that requires the involvement of the police.
My tone was neutral throughout this entire exchange and certainly not threatening or otherwise using any kind of raised voice. I didn't make any threats or otherwise show any signs of aggression other than insist with a firm but polite voice that the elite guarantee be adhered to (up until the point of police involvement). Again I would hope in the course of the investigation the audio/video from the CCTV would be obtained from the hotel to Marriott to confirm this.
I'd note that the title of the thread remains an exaggeration: if my reading of the OPs follow-ups is correct, the police weren't called, but there was a threat to do so if he persisted in taking the items for free, which he did not do. You may think that is of no moment, but a liberty with that basic "fact" suggests that other "facts" may not be so reliable.
Your reading of these events is not correct. As I said in my original post: "Man says, now you're making threats so I am calling the police, picks up the phone and starts dialing". At this point I began leaving the property so I do not know what was said on the phone between the supervisor and the other party on the line.
Originally, the title did not say that the police "were called", nor did it mention the location of the incident. I'm remembering the original title which I believe said the hotel "threatened" to call the police, nor was the location disclosed until several posts in.
I believe the title was changed (by an admin?) after I posted it to add the location - my original title was definitely "Courtyard called the police on me for requesting elite welcome gift guarantee" or something to that effect.
At this point I feel like I've covered enough of the basic information and gotten enough of a consensus. So thanks to all who replied and I will hopefully get a positive resolution from Marriott soon.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 5:29 pm

​​​​​​What a party it is. Enough to make me realize why people hate elite guests.
But you have to acknowledge that changing the title really did a disservice to the OP. And I don't think he was being a DYKWIA....at all.

OK OP, just read your updates...so he did call, I thought he just started dialing and that's when you backed off.

If you can bear a personal anecdote...a hundred years ago my sister and I were in downtown Boston, after clubbing, to go back to our car which was parked just outside the city limits. We crossed the street so we would be facing in the correct direction, thereby reducing our taxi fare. Taxi pulls up, we get in, and he BANGS A UEY...well we started screaming that we wanted to get out, he threatens to call the police if we don't pay him the flag drop, we say....GO AHEAD....he not only calls the cops, he somehow got every taxi in the city to converge on us....and EVERY ONE OF THEM said, Dude, you were wrong, you were trying to screw these girls.

I say you should have let the police come.

Last edited by Eujeanie; Nov 26, 2022 at 5:37 pm
Old Nov 26, 2022, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

And frankly I wouldn't want to be an elite guest if attempting to receive the merely the published minimum benefits resulted in such a battle each time. Luckily in my (admittedly fairly limited) experience this has not been the case at all with the exception of this instance.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 5:47 pm

The fact that a hotel will threaten to call the police over a benefit its supposed to give shows where marriott is holding. and all the people either working for the hotel or random desk agents please reveal who you are so we don't have to visit your hotel either
Old Nov 26, 2022, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by r1xd
And frankly I wouldn't want to be an elite guest if attempting to receive the merely the published minimum benefits resulted in such a battle each time. Luckily in my (admittedly fairly limited) experience this has not been the case at all with the exception of this instance.
Except according to people on this thread, this is a symptom of a trend of Marriott always treating elite guests terribly. So it's one or the other. Perhaps it's that threads like this always serve as a Rohrshach test of sorts and people always find it reinforces whatever their chosen narrative about a given hotel chain/airline mileage program/ country/city. (And then brings out hilarious posts accusing anyone who dares disagree as being planted hotel employees.)

To be clear, i never accused the OP of lying. I challenged the speculation about greater trends about this hotel "cheating elites", which no one has support for. And I acknowledged what should be the obvious unobjectionable comment that every detail of this situation is likely not covered in the short post.

And finally, not that nuance has any place here it seems, it seems that: (1) an employee threatened to call the police and (2) the employee started dialing an unknown number.
Not saying OP was a difficult guest, but anyone who works in retail/customer-facing stuff knows that picking up a phone and dialing random numbers and saying youre calling the police, corporate, the Principal, etc., Is itself a tactic to attempt to end an escalated scenario.

We don't know who, if any one, was on the other end. Again, that doesn't mean it was right to threaten the police. It just means we don't know if he was actually calling the police.

​​​​​​
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Nov 26, 2022 at 6:24 pm
Old Nov 26, 2022, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
A number of stays in recent years (and no shortage of corroboration here and elsewhere). Mediocre hard product, high prices relative to other LS offerings (likely due to corporate traffic which is now gone), crap benefits. IMO the worse Marriott brand by far.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
A number of stays in recent years (and no shortage of corroboration here and elsewhere). Mediocre hard product, high prices relative to other LS offerings (likely due to corporate traffic which is now gone), crap benefits. IMO the worse Marriott brand by far.
Have you had the police called on you before? If not, seems like this thread really has nothing to do with your stays in recent years and you're just using this to vent about your unrelated dissatisfaction. It's not plausible to suggest that calling the police on guests who are arguing over F&B benefits is a chainwide problem.
​​​​​

The good news is that whatever complaint you have about how awful service has become at any hotel chain and the "crap benefits", you will likely find corroboration on Flyertalk. (Heck your recent post history complains about other chains.) You can also find corroboration of great experiences. You find what you're looking for.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Well I guess it is good there are 30 other Marriott brands for you to stay at. Don’t like courtyard don’t stay at one.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by r1xd
I just had a similar stay in NYC and was not offered a Welcome Gift being Titanium. I called the Titanium line and after a bit of back and forth was told properties can "Pick and choose" which part of the loyalty program they participated in. This drives me literally bonkers!
Tanic and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
This thread reminds why the US is completely messed up. Small issue escalated to ridiculous levels. The OP was (probably) confrontational by grabbing the pantry item when told it wasn’t included. The hotel supervisor also had no idea about how to handle these situations. Calling the police would be a complete waste of taxpayer’s money. Why didn’t the hotel just add the item to the bill and use the deposit to cover it? Much easier to deal with disputes once the guest has left and when calmer heads prevail! Then we have this thread with legal wannabe interpretations of recording conversations, citing the US constitution and escalating things to possible legal action, defamation, emotional distress or whatever is popular over there. It’s sad how a $10 credit could get out of hand. Just like the inability of Western countries’ politicians to have some perspective and common sense in dealing with international issues (storming of congress, gun crime, sanctions and trade barriers, wars etc), this thread epitomises the US’s current sad state of affairs.
EXCEPT IT IS CANADA!!!
What Glass House do you Live In?
Venezuela-Miami and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
EXCEPT IT IS CANADA!!!
What Glass House do you Live In?
I agree with Yorkboy here. US-Americans often think that Canada is so European but for Europeans it is very much like the US: High prices, low service and a comparable attitude.

But in general many good comments here. For me Marriott is very bad towards status holders but quite good towards hotels. Again, the main reason for me not to stay there anymore.
Radiation Station likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.