Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Niagara Falls/Ontario Courtyard called police for requesting welcome gift guarantee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Niagara Falls/Ontario Courtyard called police for requesting welcome gift guarantee

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by r1xd
To me it wasn't the sum that mattered, it was the principle of the matter. Ideally I also wouldn't have had to die on this hill but the Marriott elite guarantee specifically requires us to bring this up in person at the property (I assume through asking to speak to the GM) vs dismissing it and submitting a complaint to corporate later.
r1xd,

Please keep us posted how this plays out.

Ideally, after you bring this to the attention of Customer Service, you would be reimbursed for the F&B charges that were added to your folio (up to $10 USD equivalent); you would receive compensation as published in the Terms & Conditions ($50 USD equivalent); you would receive a sincere written apology (as any ethical business that cares about service recovery would do); and you would receive additional, appropriate compensation (probably in the form of Marriott Bonvoy points) for the aggravation caused by the hotel.

And all this would happen quickly without too much additional time and effort.

Sadly, some people on this forum have had other experiences, including protracted battles, which can include being told to work it out with the hotel (after the hotel has said to work it out with Marriott).

Let's hope that the hotel learns from this experience and properly provides all published Elite benefits to future guests.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 4:41 pm

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
Or, hear me out, the customer could've just brushed off the $10 inconvenience and later followed up with corporate.
No, what's right is right and you should never blame anyone for doing what is right.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I think the most absurd part is that the SAME person originally told the OP it was OK to take stuff from the pantry to equal whatever the credit was, and then retracted it.

If he had been apologetic in any way "I'm so sorry, I thought that was OK, but I found out it wasn't" instead of "I'm calling the cops because you're shoplifting", this thread would not exist.

And if he had been apologetic, if the OP's next question was "OK, with the restaurant closed, what ARE my options" things could have been different, too. If at that point he had said "nothing, you are SOL", then I would have just walked away and complained to Marriott.

The OP is still out the value of what he took (charged for it), so NO, he didn't get what he was entitled to, he still is owed not only that money back but also the value of the benefit.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
What kind of hotel defaults to threatening their guests with calling the police on a guest trying to use their elite status benefits? A hotel that needs a serious attitude adjustment and a lesson in how to handle disputes and misunderstandings about elite status benefits.

Last edited by hhoope01; Nov 27, 2022 at 6:10 am Reason: Removed quote and response to now deleted off-topic post
Old Nov 25, 2022, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nacho
In what way is my comment political? I am only stating a fact.

Think about it from the front desk's point of view, and it's freaky to work as a front desk - hotels are open 24h and there's cash inside every hotel. We were only hearing op's side of the story. It sounded excessive if someone talking in a normal conversation led to involving the police.
There is a reason why hotels on the US side of the Niagara Falls area long cost less points and money than the Canadian side ones — and it wasn’t just because of the views. The town/city of Niagara Falls (in NY) has long had a poverty and crime problem. And the US’s crime problems do spill into the Canadian side and Canada’s downtown section of Niagara Falls. There is no getting around that. Given the comment about this Canadian hotel’s employee indicating they may bring in the police on the OP for trying to cash out the amenity benefit, it would be fascinating to know how many times this hotel has called the police in the last 12 months and for what purposes.
yyzflyer, SPN Lifer and chica like this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:22 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
There definitey is a pont where keeping an argent or engaging our interlocutor any further is no longer advisable, especially when what’s at stake is a petty amount of money.

For $10 I would not keep my conversation with the FDA after he had threatened with police. It’s not woth the aggravation.
+1 At the same time I respect everyone's right to make their own decision on how far they want to go. While I would have been mightily annoyed by the attitude of the hotel, it just isn't worth it to me to get police involved. I also am not the type to whip out a cell phone and start recording the conversation. Yes that might leave me subject to a he said/she said situation later. I would start with the FT Marriott Bonvoy Lurkers for assistance. If needed I might follow up with a letter to the Marriott executive offices. Finally, if I didn't get a satisfactory resolution, I would write off the specific hotel and not stay there again. If it became a pattern within Marriott, then I would consider writing off Marriott as a whole. All chains have some bad apples. Finally, again I totally understand why the OP is upset and they have a legitimate complaint. Where I defer is in how I would approach getting a resolution. Each to their own....

--Jon
Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:28 pm

I’d love to hear the other side of the story
Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: Discount Den and Delta Miles
For the love of God, I have had enough of this topic. Make it stop.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Cbrosius
Don't read it.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:39 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I’d love to hear the other side of the story
exactly, because I don’t think the exchange was as benign as OP makes it out to be.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:49 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Too true, but like a train wreck it’s hard to look away.

it is easy to Monday morning quarterback, but I like to think if I had the time and an unwillingness to be bullied I’d invite the the agent to call the cops suggesting that he call the GM and hotel’s general counsel while making calls. Undoubtedly I’m relying on my White man’s privilege, bonafides and that I could probably get my corporate attorney on the phone in short notice, so of course everyone’s mileage may vary. Or depending on mood, I’d just pay the $10 and blow the whole thing off: the voice of reason.
SPN Lifer and clarkef like this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by r1xd
... wanted to get everyone's thoughts?
I guess you got what you asked for.

Reminds me of the way the UA forum used to be on FT.

And you're experience has already been monetized by a blogger.

-David
Old Nov 25, 2022, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by wrldwide1
Not in the least. Is this small sum the hill you wish to die on?

And…due to a number of incidents occurring in hotels over the past year, people workin front desk will not hesitate to call the police if they feel threatened. I don’t blame them. Choosing to argue when you’ve been told to take it up with corporate is a poor choice.
I tell any and all front line staff they are to call the police if they feel threatened at any time with any guest. Even more so if no manager is no available.
SPN Lifer and Adam1222 like this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by O62
Anyone taking the hotel's side in this story is insane.

That is just a ludicrous level response. Fire the employee, retrain the staff, comp the OP's stay. Everything else is irrelevant and any other response from Marriott is insufficient.
There are two sides to every story. YOU DO NOT KNOW THE HOTEL’S SIDE!

And firing is not going to happen.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
unfollow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.