FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Niagara Falls/Ontario Courtyard called police for requesting welcome gift guarantee (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/2101975-niagara-falls-ontario-courtyard-called-police-requesting-welcome-gift-guarantee.html)

r1xd Nov 24, 2022 9:11 pm

Niagara Falls/Ontario Courtyard called police for requesting welcome gift guarantee

This just happened to me and I've already sent an email to the Bonvoy Champion email but I thought I'd get this community's opinion and see if this happened to anyone else.
The gist of it is... just the title basically.
I've written up a longer version with more of the conversation to send to Marriott if needed, but I thought I'd condense it for y'all.
Platinum, stayed 1 night at a Courtyard in North America. Breakfast was closed. Morning of check out, asked if I could use $10pp F&B amenity on grab-and-go from the pantry. Agent initially says yes but when I come down later and get the food, man (didn't identify himself but supervisor I'm guessing) comes out and says no, you have to pay. Point out the elite amenity on Marriott website, supervisor says no. I point out that goes against the elite welcome gift guarantee, supervisor says take it up with Marriott, but you have to pay otherwise you can deal with the police for shoplifting. I ask if he is the general manager since I would like to speak to the GM. Man says, now you're making threats so I am calling the police, picks up the phone and starts dialing. I leave and say you are free to charge my card. Later receive a updated folio with the additional F&B charge.
I have hope that Marriott CS will make it right but wanted to get everyone's thoughts?

Tanic Nov 24, 2022 10:05 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk. The hotel probably put 500 points in your account as a welcome gift you didn't want. Since you selected $10 F&B and the hotel refused, make sure they pay $50 in cash Guest Compensation besides refunding the F&B item. You may need to elevate this issue since there is weak enforcement from Marriott.

donotblink Nov 24, 2022 10:09 pm

wow, name the property, please!!

Keyser Nov 24, 2022 11:23 pm

Definitely need to know the name of this property.

Isochronous Nov 25, 2022 12:42 am

Appalling behaviour. Name the property and also that ridiculous staff member.

clarkef Nov 25, 2022 1:51 am

Cell phones!!! Start recording the interaction so that its not a he said/she said situation. Also, the staff member "might" reconsider his actions knowing that they will be preserved for all posterity, or at least a TikTok post.

Duck1981 Nov 25, 2022 1:57 am

It is always difficult to assess the situation by reading a post. Dreadful customer service? Yes. How was OP's behavior in this situation so staff wanted to call police? We don't know.

Generally I think these kind of posts would be much more helpful if the property would be named.

Cbrosius Nov 25, 2022 4:24 am

It was at a Marriot in New York State "that was lodginging the homeless or whatever the people were who murdered the college student's father in the lobby; "Paul Kutz was killed by stray bullets in the Marriott lobby on Oct. 2 while grabbing a cup of coffee and getting ready to check out. He had been upstate for the college’s family weekend."" Marriot seems to be another formerly great company now racing to the bottom. The company in this case was bending over backwards to serve the people not paying their own way and the result was a dangerous breakfast area. Marriot staff, according to the articles that followed, knew the person who committed the crime and thought it was funny until things went horrible. In your case, the staff seemed very zealous about giving you a rough time. Maybe the Hilton hotels are the better, safer choice. I don't know.

wrldwide1 Nov 25, 2022 4:41 am

Conversation should have ended after you were told to take it up with Marriott. People at the front desk have a dangerous job these days, or haven’t you been aware of that?

r1xd Nov 25, 2022 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 34783222)
Welcome to FlyerTalk. The hotel probably put 500 points in your account as a welcome gift you didn't want. Since you selected $10 F&B and the hotel refused, make sure they pay $50 in cash Guest Compensation besides refunding the F&B item. You may need to elevate this issue since there is weak enforcement from Marriott.

Given how they treated this situation I have less than zero confidence at all they would be forthcoming in any kind of compensation. Hence why I'm hoping Marriott CS steps up.

Originally Posted by Isochronous (Post 34783359)
Appalling behaviour. Name the property and also that ridiculous staff member.

This was at the Courtyard Niagara Falls, ON.
I wish I could but the staff member in question refused to introduce or identify himself by name or title and did not have any kind of name badge etc. So my guess is he was some kind of supervisor, but could have easily been the GM, the owner, the son of the owner, etc? I have no idea.

Originally Posted by jaejaez (Post 34783363)
Back on topic, I've read plenty horror stories since joining FT in 2008 but this one hits a brand new low wrt "elite recognition"... even for Marriott.

It's sad, as a frequent hotel guest but fairly new platinum (formerly long time free agent), I've had nothing but great experiences until this particular one. Hell, I'm typing this right now from another (limited service) Bonvoy property that is going above and beyond. So this experience was particularly jarring.

Originally Posted by clarkef (Post 34783418)
Cell phones!!! Start recording the interaction so that its not a he said/she said situation. Also, the staff member "might" reconsider his actions knowing that they will be preserved for all posterity, or at least a TikTok post.

This is my biggest regret and lesson for the future (which hopefully I wouldn't need) - unfortunately at the time the situation escalated so quickly I did not realise to record it until basically the end of the interaction as I left. Plus with the threat of the police already on their way, I wasn't immediately sure off the top of my head if it was a single-party-consent jurisdiction (as it turned out, it was).

Originally Posted by Duck1981 (Post 34783423)
It is always difficult to assess the situation by reading a post. Dreadful customer service? Yes. How was OP's behavior in this situation so staff wanted to call police? We don't know.

There is going to be an element of he-said-she-said but I can categorically say I never raised my voice or in any way was aggressive or made any kind of threat. I would be confident if Marriott or a third party pulled the audio/video from the CCTV tapes (which are in the hotel's possession) they would find that to be true.

ElevatorEnthusiast Nov 25, 2022 6:20 am

Originally Posted by r1xd (Post 34783652)
Given how they treated this situation I have less than zero confidence at all they would be forthcoming in any kind of compensation. Hence why I'm hoping Marriott CS steps up.

This was at the Courtyard Niagara Falls, ON.
I wish I could but the staff member in question refused to introduce or identify himself by name or title and did not have any kind of name badge etc. So my guess is he was some kind of supervisor, but could have easily been the GM, the owner, the son of the owner, etc? I have no idea.

It's sad, as a frequent hotel guest but fairly new platinum (formerly long time free agent), I've had nothing but great experiences until this particular one. Hell, I'm typing this right now from another (limited service) Bonvoy property that is going above and beyond. So this experience was particularly jarring.

This is my biggest regret and lesson for the future (which hopefully I wouldn't need) - unfortunately at the time the situation escalated so quickly I did not realise to record it until basically the end of the interaction as I left. Plus with the threat of the police already on their way, I wasn't immediately sure off the top of my head if it was a single-party-consent jurisdiction (as it turned out, it was).

There is going to be an element of he-said-she-said but I can categorically say I never raised my voice or in any way was aggressive or made any kind of threat. I would be confident if Marriott or a third party pulled the audio/video from the CCTV tapes (which are in the hotel's possession) they would find that to be true.

Well, I'm glad that you are okay - what shocking behavior. I've had other jarring experiences, though not as bad as this one, and I empathize with your feeling. It's really terrible to have bad staff interactions, and it really can ruin one's day. Though, with time, the feeling will fade, and you'll know to never return to said property.

StevenSeagalFan Nov 25, 2022 6:40 am

All this over $10. Couldn’t you just have paid the $10 and complained to corporate later?

Ijones027 Nov 25, 2022 6:49 am

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan (Post 34783734)
All this over $10. Couldn’t you just have paid the $10 and complained to corporate later?

wow we really needed this take pathetic

Khampra Nov 25, 2022 7:50 am

Some people without judgement just can't deal with one ounce of decisional power. Idiot should not be in the hospitality business.

Ghoulish Nov 25, 2022 8:09 am

Originally Posted by wrldwide1 (Post 34783573)
Conversation should have ended after you were told to take it up with Marriott. People at the front desk have a dangerous job these days, or haven’t you been aware of that?

Please tell me this is sarcasm, right?