Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

29 Mar 2022 : Introduction of Dynamic award pricing and removal of award chart

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
*** It seems the Free Night Certificate + Points "top-off" redemption went live on April 29 or 30th 2022 - Discussions here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html ***

Starting March 29, our new flexible point redemption rates will go into effect. That means free nights will align more closely with nightly rates and availability. For stay dates in 2022, you can expect that nearly all of our hotels will have the same minimum and maximum number of points required for redemption — similarly to how they were previously categorized.

All the ways you earn points will not change — you’ll just have more flexibility when you’re ready to redeem.

Plus, starting at the end of April, you can combine your Free Night Award with up to 15,000 points to access more hotels you’ll love.

Our current redemption process will remain in place through March 28. After that, you will not see hotel categories (1–8) or redemption rates classified as Off-Peak, Standard, or Peak. At the same time, as part of our yearly redemption assessment process (similar to our annual category changes in previous years), the minimum point redemption rates will increase for approximately 200 hotels on March 29 — that’s less than 3% of all hotels. You can explore this list of hotels and decide when and where to maximize your free nights.

With our flexible cancellation policy, you can reserve your redemption stay and still modify your reservation if you find a lower rate in the future.

Want to learn more? Check out all our flexible point redemption rates FAQs.

When there is a redemption points rate drop, this info about how to modify award reservations -- on the website, not the app:
If you click to modify the existing reservation, and select to edit payment, it will adjust the points and keep the same reservation
HT to Schnit

Print Wikipost

29 Mar 2022 : Introduction of Dynamic award pricing and removal of award chart

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2023, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
I had a booking at Sheraton Dubai Creek in Feb for 120,000 points on a 5-for-4 redemption. After reading your post I went back and checked the current price and it had gone from 120,000 to 119,000 (last day changed from 30,000 to 29,000), so I cancelled and rebooked for that juicy 1,000 point bonus
Dont spend it all in one place!
Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
There’s no need to cancel/rebook. Just open your reservation, click on Edit, and choose the same room type at the new lower price. The system will tell you that X points will be redeposited into your account, and it’s done immediately.

Your reservation number will be unchanged.
The great thing about Marriott is that this also works for cash bookings (though not sure of on the day of check-in) as you can hit Edit and select the same room type and the same rate type to get the new price. This is a major benefit over Hyatt where you have to switch rate types or room types and then switch back (risking losing out on the price you want to change to in the interim) to take advantage of cheaper rates.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
There’s no need to cancel/rebook. Just open your reservation, click on Edit, and choose the same room type at the new lower price. The system will tell you that X points will be redeposited into your account, and it’s done immediately.

Your reservation number will be unchanged.
This is what I usually do - but you cannot do it on the app, only on the website.

It is implemented better than Hilton, which while allow you to do so, if you have points booking prepare to track the points back and interact with the Hilton team as changes in the reservation like that seems to prevent the points to get back to the account automatically.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
This is what I usually do - but you cannot do it on the app, only on the website.

It is implemented better than Hilton, which while allow you to do so, if you have points booking prepare to track the points back and interact with the Hilton team as changes in the reservation like that seems to prevent the points to get back to the account automatically.
I don't like doing things on the app (other than look things up), so guess I've never tried. Actually, I use the app to check the rate however, since it remembers my last 5 searches.

The other advantage of not cancelling/rebooking is it's one less zombie reservation that may come back to life.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
I don't like doing things on the app (other than look things up), so guess I've never tried. Actually, I use the app to check the rate however, since it remembers my last 5 searches.

The other advantage of not cancelling/rebooking is it's one less zombie reservation that may come back to life.
Agreed - it is mind boggling that the app had better functionality for searching (why, oh why the web site cannot show multiple discount rates at the same time) and lack basic other features. Guess it is Marriott IT at its best.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Just booked W Miami for a night - price was 59K, cash rate was $672 all in. Miami seems to be pricing pretty consistently over 1 cent per point across the tiers (ranging from Courtard/AC charing 30K points / $350-$400 in cash to W/Edition/Ritz South Beach charging 100K points / $1,000 to $1,2000 in cash).

If this pricing holds, it actually suggest Marriott points value increased through all the devaluations, at least on a US$ basis - this is consistent with Hyatt and Hilton point values also increasing.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I made a reservation on Nov 21 for a 5 night stay in January at 239K pts. I noticed on Dec 7 that it had dropped to 233K points so I rebooked. Between Dec 8 and today, it has dropped 11 more times, and my latest price is 196K pts for a savings of 43K pts. I now check daily to see what the price is.
My stay has decreased twice more since I posted this for another 8K points back in my account. That's a total of 15 decreases in the past month for a total decrease of 51K points. I'm thinking of putting it on a graph, to see if the rate change is linear, accelerating or decelerating.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 2:55 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Deleted
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:09 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Any further news on this whole uncapped dynamic pricing rumour/non rumour for 2023?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:37 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I used the method suggested by margarita girl to use the website to edit points reservations and got back 4000 points - nothing to scoff at! I'm primarily an app user so I hadn't experienced the ease of editing points reservations (though, the app is still so much better than the mobile website, especially when you have 100+ upcoming reservations, like I do).
Old Jan 10, 2023, 7:08 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
especially when you have 100+ upcoming reservations, like I do).
Wow! What's the list of hotels we can look forward to reading reviews about ?
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
Wow! What's the list of hotels we can look forward to reading reviews about ?
It's a really long one, but look forward to more reviews from Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Doha, Abu Dhabi, Istanbul, Frankfurt, Berlin, Hamburg, Amman, Cairo, Panama City, Bogota, Santiago, Seoul, Bangkok, and Kuala Lumpur!
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
It's a really long one, but look forward to more reviews from Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Doha, Abu Dhabi, Istanbul, Frankfurt, Berlin, Hamburg, Amman, Cairo, Panama City, Bogota, Santiago, Seoul, Bangkok, and Kuala Lumpur!
Do you book only on points or on a combination of some with points and others cash?
Old Jan 10, 2023, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
Do you book only on points or on a combination of some with points and others cash?
Predominantly cash with usually 1-2 points redemptions per 2-week travel period (sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the market). I usually try to only use points when the cash price at a hotel is higher than I would want to pay for a night. It seems like the points redemptions in those cases usually work out.

Case in point, in Bogota, the JW is around 590 USD (ridiculous for that market) but was only something around the low 30K range for points. For me, that's an easy case for redeeming points.

As another example, in Bangkok, I won't be using any points as cash rates are all quite reasonable relative to the globe.

If I ever go to Paris, I'll definitely need to use points as cash rates are insane.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 1:42 pm

Programs: MB Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, UA Silver
Originally Posted by loganre17
Any further news on this whole uncapped dynamic pricing rumour/non rumour for 2023?
I think it's quite overblown. A lot of the hotels are still within their former Category on the old award chart, but with a bit of inflation (5-7%) on max points requirement per night. Properties that has recently been bumped out to max of 120k pts/night have not exceeded that this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.