Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Sustainability Fee" - a new name for resort fee???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Sustainability Fee" - a new name for resort fee???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
There’s no issue with compliance. The sustainability fee is already included in the price displayed on the first page on the Marriott website, and also on the app.

Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
There’s no issue with compliance. The sustainability fee is already included in the price displayed on the first page on the Marriott website, and also on the app.
False.

Here's the first page display on the website:

Here's the first booking screen:

The "Sustainability Fee" only displays after clicking all the way through:

This is EXACTLY the practice that's forbidden under the settlement.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
False
Have you unchecked this box (which by default is checked), by any chance ?

Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

If selecting the filter option for all taxes and fees to be included in the display, it indeed shows as included except in relationship to the cost of award nights.

Viewfromthewing.com found some other hotels beside this one that also have the “sustainability fee”.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Have you unchecked this box (which by default is checked), by any chance ?

The default is unchecked. If it's checked on your browser, that's a saved setting.

As I understand it, requiring the user to check a search box to see fees is not compliant with the settlement. Presumably Marriott is still working on implementation.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:52 am

The default is unchecked. If it's checked on your browser, that's a saved setting.
Well, I had already tested this by creating brand new, cookie-free (ie private / incognito) Marriott.com sessions using Chrome, Edge and Safari, and all of them had the box checked by default. What happens when you try the same ?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I have found that the tax and fee box is checked by default on the iOS app, but does not appear to automatically check on a desktop (just tested with Incognito Chrome). I do find this implementation quite useful - except when comparing rates with Hyatt :-(
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:17 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond

As I understand it, requiring the user to check a search box to see fees is not compliant with the settlement. Presumably Marriott is still working on implementation.
Well, I had already tested this by creating brand new, cookie-free (ie private / incognito) Marriott.com sessions using Chrome, Edge and Safari, and all of them had the box checked by default. What happens when you try the same ?
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I have found that the tax and fee box is checked by default on the iOS app, but does not appear to automatically check on a desktop (just tested with Incognito Chrome). I do find this implementation quite useful - except when comparing rates with Hyatt :-(
I just checked on my desktop out of curiosity and the box is NOT checked by default on Chrome and Edge.

LAX
SPN Lifer and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I launched Edge in the first time in forever, if ever. The box is not checked by default.

It's also not checked in Chrome, Firefox, a new Private Firefox tab or a new Chrome incognito tab.

All on Windows 10.

EDIT:
I clicked it on to see the rates change on the list screen, went in to the hotel to see the rate offers, and clicked through to see the detailed breakdown. I then went back to the Marriott home screen and conducted a new search. It was off again.

Last edited by CPRich; Jan 10, 2022 at 8:45 pm
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
All new visits to bonvOY on seldom used browsers rendered box NOT CHECKED by default. Mac OS Monterey on Firefox, Safari, and Opera.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:57 pm

According to Marriott Bonvoy fb page, Marriott has asked the franchise to remove this fee, but will probably come back as a $25 destination fee instead
SPN Lifer and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 7:36 am

The bigger they are, the more dishonest they are. I will often skip hotels that charge unreasonable fees, overpriced parking (that used to be free) and other charges because they cannot be honest business people.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
What?! Pray do tell or direct me to this thread.
Cheers
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Maybe the Hotel Saint Louis is charging this sustainability fee to hire housekeepers that don't throw away guests' items and eat their food?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If selecting the filter option for all taxes and fees to be included in the display, it indeed shows as included except in relationship to the cost of award nights.

Viewfromthewing.com found some other hotels beside this one that also have the “sustainability fee”.
Link please.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Link please.
Originally Posted by VFTW
However this isn’t the only Marriott engaged in the practice. I looked up which group operates the property, and it turns out that Innkeeper Hospitality Services has three other Marriott Autograph Collection hotels. And they all add the same $4.99 per night junk fee.

The Warrior hotel Sioux City, Iowa
The Current Hotel Davenport, Iowa
Hotel Blackhawk Davenport, Iowa
https://viewfromthewing.com/several-...inability-fee/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.