Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Platinum Status

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2021, 3:07 pm

I can relate - I just checked out of my 48th night. I have no more Marriott travel scheduled this year, but there’s a TownPlace Suites 5 minutes from my house that has nights for 5,000 points each during most of December. 10,000 points for the remaining two nights is worth less than $100, and the five SNAs should be worth a lot more than that. I’ll probably check in, go home, and come back for free breakfasts.
DallasEsq and ryw like this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Speaking for myself - I earned platinum last year and have been disappointed with the experience this far. Poor service is the standard, and the SNAs have been close to worthless.

I’m also a Hyatt globalist, and the experience is night and day. When I can’t stay at Hyatt I’ve been staying at Hilton, which despite its shortcomings has been a better experience for me compared to Marriott. (I have diamond with Hilton). I may re-evaluate again at the beginning of the year but I am focusing my travel away from Marriott for the time being.

If you are going for platinum for the SNAs you may want to reassess.
Tanic, minhaoxue and wordsmith like this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rsuther223
Is it worth booking the 5 nights locally to achieve the Platinum elite status?
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
5 nights is pushing it, but if you have lots of travel planned for ‘22 it may be worth it. Easier to get a credit card if you don’t have both already?
Originally Posted by omk298
If you can get this nights from a credit card, do it without thinking twice. If it would need you to actually pay for 5 nights then think very carefully about what travel you're expecting to do in the next year or so.
May I add my own welcome to FlyerTalk on the occasion of your initial post!
​​​​​
In case you were unaware, U.S. residents such as yourself can earn 15 Elite Qualifying Nights (EQN) per year for having a personal Marriott Bonv°y credit card (including the no-annual-fee Chase Marriott Bold Visa, among others) or a business Marriott Bonv°y credit card (currently the $125/year business Marriott AmEx card).

With both, you get 30 EQN per year. These nights are equal to actual hotel-stay EQNs for purposes of annual and lifetime qualification.

As stated upthread, and repeatedly throughout this forum, the change between Marriott Bonv°y Gold and Platinum Elite statuses is one of the greatest in the system as currently structured.

Again, welcome to FlyerTalk.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 5:51 am
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

If you travel through Latin and South America or Asia, the Platinum status may be worth the extra spend on five nights. Nicer properties, not that expensive, and lounges are nicer with high tea and cocktail hours and a quieter environment for breakfast. I also receive two pieces ironed each day at LHC and RC, but I am not sure if it is because of Platinum or everyone gets that.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 7:00 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by rsuther223
I am currently a Gold Elite and have 45 nights this year. I only have 5 nights left to meet the Platinum Elite but no more planned trips this year. Is it worth booking the 5 nights locally to achieve the Platinum elite status? Is the cutoff for reaching the next level Dec. 31 or has Marriott extended the deadline??? Thank you
Welcome to FT
If you do not have any credit card - get both and you will be 2 levels above - Titanium - 45+ 15 for personal and +15 for business
That will give you great service outside the US. Most Marriott Brands are upscale outside the US but junk in the US
The value in the US will likely improve as the economy and travel volumes improve.
I find it useful to be Platinum, but YMMV.
Our family of 4 at Times square a few years ago on New Years Eve had lounge access - a zoo but cost of breakfast was outrageous in NYC and we saved a bundle on just that trip.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 4:24 pm

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for posting my question…

I have lifetime platinum elite status, however for the past three years I’ve had titanium status.
my titanium status has been extended through 2022.
I am currently at 71 nights for this year with no other travel planned.
Would there be any future benefit to be had by actually getting the full 75 nights?
Old Nov 16, 2021, 4:34 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yhz123

I have lifetime platinum elite status, however for the past three years I’ve had titanium status.
Would there be any future benefit to be had by actually getting the full 75 nights?
You would get a 75-night choice benefit. Notably, this could yield a 40K free night certificate (worth a few hundred dollars), 5 more SNAs (worth a few dollars), and 5 more EQNs (might be worth something if you want to grind toward lifetime status). There are a few other options too but I think these are generally accepted as the best options.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:08 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yhz123

The main benefit would be the selection of a 75 night gift (namely the Free Night Certificate that's only available at 75 nights).
If you haven't chosen your 50 night gift yet, you can choose the 5 EQNs to get to 76 nights, and then be able to choose a 75 night gift if that's worthwhile to you.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, Marriott AMB/LTT, Hyatt EX, HH Dia, Ntl EEE
Imagine all the people that were close at the end of 2019 and didn't go for it.....If they didn't travel much they are all sitting at a tier that was beneath where they would be for the next three years. This is the case for me with Delta.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 1:38 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Rondelltg
Imagine all the people that were close at the end of 2019 and didn't go for it.....If they didn't travel much they are all sitting at a tier that was beneath where they would be for the next three years. This is the case for me with Delta.
Irrespective of the status extensions, I'd imagine that most people towards the end of any year would aim to achieve whichever tier is likely to work best for them whether that's Platinum or Titanium if they are close to it. The only tier that I would advise anyone to reach for would be Platinum as it has the most differential tier benefits compared to the previous tier (if, as I understand it, you are not staying at Bonvoy hotels in the US). Otherwise, maybe a few nights at a cheap hotel to get you to Titanium but nothing more.

The counter to your point is to imagine you strove hard to attain Titanium at the end of 2019 and couldn't travel at all during 2020 and 2021 to get any benefits so you are grateful for the extension through 2022. This is the case with me and my Gold status with Cathay that I went out of my way to secure again in 2019-2020 and would have got extended anyway even though I've not been able to take a single flight from HKIA.
SPN Lifer and Rondelltg like this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 3:43 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Rondelltg
yeah but they are not going to extend status for another 2 years at this point. Even though 22 & 23 could be limited relative to 19. Then again they might…
Old Jun 15, 2023, 11:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, KLM Silver
Which challenge is this that immediately upgrades your status ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.