Marriott Platinum Status

Old Oct 30, 2021, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Mattress Run worth it for Elite status? (General Discussion)

Will be at 71 nights by years end.
Given seemingly devalue of program, you all think it makes sense for a mattress run to qualify for TIT?
Don't value the United Silver status as I fly American.
Free night cert at 35K, meh, maybe? Never found a hotel anywhere I would want to stay and use these (and with the new top if off feature, even the 50K, prob will be tricky to find avail).
Old Oct 30, 2021, 7:35 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Don’t mattress run. Just take 5 EQNs as your 50 night choice benefit. Then you’ll get another choice benefit option at 75 nights where you can take the 40K cert or SNAs (if you really want then).
Old Oct 30, 2021, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Don’t mattress run. Just take 5 EQNs as your 50 night choice benefit. Then you’ll get another choice benefit option at 75 nights where you can take the 40K cert or SNAs (if you really want then).
Yea I was talking more in value proposition of obtaining actual TIT status. I picked my 50 night benefit (5 nights) already.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
For some, achieving Titanium status is important to do at least once to see if it worth it.

For quite a few here on FlyerTalk, the specific benefits accrued drive their decision making .

If you're going to organically reach Titanium thru your 2021 stays, that might be cheaper .

All up to you.

David

Last edited by DELee; Oct 30, 2021 at 9:03 am Reason: fix word
Old Oct 30, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Helpmeout
Yea I was talking more in value proposition of obtaining actual TIT status. I picked my 50 night benefit (5 nights) already.
I don’t think it’s wise to take the 5 EQNs if it won’t push you past 75 nights already but the opportunity cost (5 SNAs) is worthless anyway.

I value the 40K FNC at around $240. United Silver offers many perks you can get from a credit card but gives you flexibility in payment (for better insurance, earning etc), a mileage boost, and access to E+ seating. However, I think a fair conservative value for that is about $100 (as I think most would be happy to just open a CC). The 25% point boost to Titanium has historically been valuable for high spenders. If you spend $14K on Marriott properties, that’s an additional 35K points. However, as Bonvoy is devaluing quickly, I’m not sure what to even value this at.

At 4 nights, I don’t think it would be completely unreasonable to do a mattress run if you can get rooms for about $80. However, I personally would not do it. Loyalty programs work for consumers when they are meaningfully rewarding them for behavior they would engage in otherwise. Warping your behavior to accommodate the program rewards the company, not you.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I would go for it. We'll see how Marriott 'helps' with 2022 status but that is often dependent on what you had before. If you are planning significant 2022 travel I would definitely go for 75
Helpmeout likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
If you are planning significant 2022 travel I would definitely go for 75
This. Same answer whatever your preferred hotel chain or chains(s). Small push for next premium status a good idea "if" you are going to capitalize on it.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:21 pm

I know mattress running is very normalized on FlyerTalk but I hope OP seriously considers what value they might actually derive from status by doing this. If they really want United Silver status and is locked out of United cards via 5/24, I don’t think it’s a terrible plan. If they just want vaguely better priority for upgrades and increased point earnings, this doesn’t seem like a good “purchase”.YMMV
Helpmeout likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Helpmeout
Will be at 71 nights by years end.
Given seemingly devalue of program, you all think it makes sense for a mattress run to qualify for TIT?
Don't value the United Silver status as I fly American.
Free night cert at 35K, meh, maybe? Never found a hotel anywhere I would want to stay and use these (and with the new top if off feature, even the 50K, prob will be tricky to find avail).
You do not have to make a decision right away. If you have an expected stay for next few weeks, you may think of a mattress run of 1-2 nights. Otherwise, it is not worth doing it.
Helpmeout likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott rewards
Marriott Platinum Status

I am currently a Gold Elite and have 45 nights this year. I only have 5 nights left to meet the Platinum Elite but no more planned trips this year. Is it worth booking the 5 nights locally to achieve the Platinum elite status? Is the cutoff for reaching the next level Dec. 31 or has Marriott extended the deadline??? Thank you
Old Nov 12, 2021, 7:48 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by rsuther223
I am currently a Gold Elite and have 45 nights this year. I only have 5 nights left to meet the Platinum Elite but no more planned trips this year. Is it worth booking the 5 nights locally to achieve the Platinum elite status? Is the cutoff for reaching the next level Dec. 31 or has Marriott extended the deadline??? Thank you
They are extending status if you already earned it. They are not extending qualification deadline. 5 nights is pushing it, but if you have lots of travel planned for ‘22 it may be worth it. Easier to get a credit card if you don’t have both already?
Old Nov 12, 2021, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Welcome to FlyerTalk, rsuther223 !

If you think the benefits that accrue to having Platinum elite status are important and useful and you're staying that much at Marriott properties, the investment in the 5 nights may be worth it.

The deadline for earning those 5 nights hasn't changed - it is still the end of the calendar year on December 31st.

David
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Each Marriott Bonvoy elite tier provides better benefits than the tier below it, such as earning bigger point bonuses on paid stays.

The biggest jump in benefits is from Gold Elite to Platinum Elite. Depending on the brand, benefits such as lounge access and more generous welcome gift choices kick in at Platinum Elite. The Annual Choice Award at 50 nights, such as 5 SNAs, can also be valuable.

How valuable these benefits are depends largely on where you stay. If you stay primarily at brands with cookie cutter rooms and breakfast for all, such as Springhill Suites, then then your main benefit would just be earning more points.

But if you stay at most full-service or luxury brands (but not all of them), then the additional Platinum Elite benefits can really elevate your stay, especially in Asia and Europe.

Last edited by Horace; Nov 12, 2021 at 10:16 am
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
When you figure in the 5 SNAs, and the potential for free breakfast, late checkout, and upgrades, Plat could be worth 5 very cheap nights. It could also be a big waste of time and money.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
If you can get this nights from a credit card, do it without thinking twice. If it would need you to actually pay for 5 nights then think very carefully about what travel you're expecting to do in the next year or so.
WasKnown likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.