FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Platinum Status
View Single Post
Old Nov 17, 2021, 1:38 am
ftrichard

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Rondelltg
Imagine all the people that were close at the end of 2019 and didn't go for it.....If they didn't travel much they are all sitting at a tier that was beneath where they would be for the next three years. This is the case for me with Delta.
Irrespective of the status extensions, I'd imagine that most people towards the end of any year would aim to achieve whichever tier is likely to work best for them whether that's Platinum or Titanium if they are close to it. The only tier that I would advise anyone to reach for would be Platinum as it has the most differential tier benefits compared to the previous tier (if, as I understand it, you are not staying at Bonvoy hotels in the US). Otherwise, maybe a few nights at a cheap hotel to get you to Titanium but nothing more.

The counter to your point is to imagine you strove hard to attain Titanium at the end of 2019 and couldn't travel at all during 2020 and 2021 to get any benefits so you are grateful for the extension through 2022. This is the case with me and my Gold status with Cathay that I went out of my way to secure again in 2019-2020 and would have got extended anyway even though I've not been able to take a single flight from HKIA.